Tracking playtime and other meta data.

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Tracking playtime and other meta data.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
I'm looking for a way to track playtime, shots fired, other little random bits of data, ideally I want this information available to me at a developer level.

I have at least 1 quick hacky way of doing it, store the initial values via savestate at regular intervals, and then once every program start push the data to some server side php and store it in a database where I can peer over it.

any thoughts.?

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#2]
For a single-player game where you want to limit server communication collect and push seems sensible. One caveat is that savestate can get quite expensive on Android if you're not careful. If you're just collecting counter stats then it shouldn't be too bad but if you start gathering historical logs of some sort then your save may get pretty large.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
Just looking to track stuff like total time played, total kills, deaths, shots take shots hit, enemy killed that sorta stuff.

I added a stat's page to Terminal 2 , for that I am tracking bullets fired, shots landed, to figure out over all accuracy , but with me playing with that, and reading the DayZ website today and seeing the little survivor info pane I guess my brain connected some dots.

And I thought it would be cool to collect all this data for each player and present it on my site as part of some cool little info graph, not to mention that it will actually yield some really valuable data.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#4]
One thing I would add is it might be worth looking at some of the stats/achievements APIs out there (Kongregate/Steam etc.) and just bear those in mind when designing your stats. Even if you're not planning to use such a service it might be best to be in the habit of creating reasonably compatible data just in case. I seem to remember that when I looked they nearly all worked just with integer values for example.