Monkey on ipad ?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Monkey on ipad ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
I'm wondering if ted and monkey could be built for ipad ?

I often find myself wanting to code and only have my ipad at hand, so is the any big problems creating a monkey/tedd iPhone app .?

In terms of creating the build code would the cloud help ?

skape(Posted 2013) [#2]
Didn't Mark post a little HTML code editor / cloud compiler test a while back? I seem to remember something like that...

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2013) [#3]
It's definitely possible, Monkey even converts its own compiler. You could technically convert 'Trans' to JavaScript with a custom target, so you can compile code with a browser.

Technically if QT worked with iOS (I have no idea if there's a decent port), you could make some minor changes, rewrite a few things, etc, and it should run. However, that kind of port may just be doomed from the start; you'd be porting a desktop IDE to iOS after all.

I'd say it's a better idea to use an existing IDE/editor for iOS, or make an IDE from scratch. After that, you could look into editing the "STDCPP" target, so you could use it for 'Trans' on iOS. Once you have a working version of "iOS Trans", you technically no longer need the desktop version of the translator.

In order to get it working on iOS, you'd probably need to do a bit of editing to existing targets (iOS and HTML5 mainly), and possibly port MServer. Compiling GLFW for your desktop machine might work with the right C++ compiler, but that's a bit of a stretch. Android NDK code may also be an option when we get an official target for it. Most of the other targets could at least be converted on your iDevice.

Other than that, there's always making an awesome 'remote-compilation' program in Monkey.

It would work something like this:

* Send all of the files to a version of this program on a desktop machine (Usually checking if hashes are different, so you don't resend anything)
* Have the desktop version start 'Trans' with the right arguments.
* When 'Trans' finishes, you'd send the final binaries to iOS.

That's the best way I can think of. You're still missing an IDE though, but I'm sure you could come up with something. To tell you the truth, the "remote compiler" trick is something I've wanted to do for years, I just never got around to it. It could work for so many other things as well.

You could also do the first option and the second option at the same time. It'd basically be like this: "iOS Trans" converts the code, then sends it via the program from before. After that, your desktop machine could run a stripped down version of 'Trans' which just runs the desktop compilers for each target. Then you simply send the final binaries back to your iDevice. From there you could bring your game/app/whatever with you to another computer (Like a flash drive). Alright, I'm done conceptualizing programs, I'll get around to making this eventually... I just need some free time and enough inspiration for it.

If you don't feel like putting in any real work, you could always use a good remote desktop program, and possibly use DropBox if you need to. I've done it once or twice with an Android tablet via Team Viewer, but it can get annoying; those basic on-screen keyboards are terrible for programming, trust me. If you have an external keyboard for your iPad, by all means use it.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#4]
Yeah I would be cool with it only working or building for html5, i was not really thinking of it as doing everything the pc/mac version can just that it could do enough that you could in those situations where you have your pad, and are away from home, you could bash out a few lines of code and see a quick compile.

In terms of Ted on an ipad, aside from the technical issues, I think it could work really well, it's deff not going to work on an iPhone but the iPad has more than enough visual space to shove ted into.

Sadly I dont own a mac so its not something I can even try, but I do love my ipad, :) so if anyone figures this out, and gets it working, let me know I would love to test it.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#5]
Taiphoz: Try VNC. You should be able to VNC to your PC-- IMO that is by far the easiest way.

In my understanding, iPads require signed software to run code, and that needs to be compiled on xcode (on a mac) so you would be stuck with an HTML5 version of your program which would probably be OK-- but that would require that a webserver be running on the ipad and that you serve the HTML5 you wrote from that webserver.

All this to run on something which, at the end of the day, doesn't have a keyboard! Have you tried typing streams of symbols and text on your ipad? I have Python for my ipad and writing anything nontrivial on it is like pulling teeth.

Python for the pad costs a dollar or something like that. Try writing some code in it and see if it's something you would actually use!

When I want to code on the go I just bring along my laptop.

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#6]
I have a Surface Tablet with the Type Cover and use RemoteApp to run Monkey from my main PC, works really well...