Detect click on Ads

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Detect click on Ads

dragon(Posted 2013) [#1]
Is it possible to detect a click to a (Google) Ads?

i plan to enable some goodies after each click.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#2]
You might want to check the terms. I don't think Google approve of offering incentives to click on ads.

Soap(Posted 2013) [#3]
Incentivizing ad clicks which make you money will get banned from any ad network with payout based on clicks. It's fraud.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2013) [#4]
The answer to your question is yes. I will not tell you how though, as was basically mentioned above, it's against most ad services TOS. I remember reading Google's and they have a part explicitly mentioning doing this and that it will result in account termination.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#5]
As has been said it's against the TOS of most if not all ad networks, its also against TOS to request a user rates your app in return for free stuff.

To easy to abuse an ad network by forcing users to click ads to unlock stuff, the dev gets paid the user gets stuff but the ad network gets shafted.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#6]
It gets a little gray around the area tho if you reward clicks without advertising the fact, for example if your player clicks an add you might give them something in game but not actually tell them.

I think the main issue google has and others is when you overtly say , Hay click this and I will give you something in return.

Rewarding the player without telling them about it rewards them for the add click, they are still clicking an add they actually have interest in, and everyone wins.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#7]
"The ad network gets shafted."

Actually it's the advertiser who gets shafted. But if he is getting lots of clicks but no sales he will stop advertising, and then the ad network gets hurt too.

Soap(Posted 2013) [#8]
Doing that still puts your account at risk. If people figure out it they build a feedback loops which eventually leads into fraudulent behavior. Just don't do it!

The ad network too as if lots of people were doing fraud the value of the network would go down and advertisers would lose confidence. This has happened often in the past.

If you want to make more money the best thing you can do is sell things in game which allow more fun ways to play.

dragon(Posted 2013) [#9]
i have better idea!

i want to detect click on ad.
and if the player clicked on ad i want to remove this banner for 1 day.

so the player can not click more than 1x a day
and this give nothing positive excepts it remove banner.

i do not want to promote this.
it is useful to protect ad frustration

Soap(Posted 2013) [#10]
Honestly it's better to not do things which may make people want to click on the ads without explicit intention. If you have very high and constant click rates from the same people in larger amounts it's likely your account will be flagged and disabled.

If you want people to be able to disable ads just allow them to pay for it through IAP or do something else nice which has high value for you.

dragon(Posted 2013) [#11]
i found something:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9665237/android-admob-onclicklistener

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#12]
If all your trying to do is hide the add, cant you simply update it's x,y and push it off screen?

Zurrr(Posted 2013) [#13]
I think YES you can. Some ads sdk has method to let you know when user click the ads through listener. I not very sure for admob but I think admob sdk also can.

Take SERIOUS thou about ads regulation especially Admob. They can terminate your account and you will lost all your unclaimed money. Google decision is always final.

By the way this java code may help you to hide ads:
    public static void Hide() {
		// Find adlayout in main.xml
		LinearLayout layout = (LinearLayout)BBAndroidGame._androidGame._activity.findViewById(R.id.adlayout);
		// set invisible
		layout.setVisibility(LinearLayout.INVISIBLE);
	}

public static void Show() {
		// Find adlayout in main.xml
		LinearLayout layout = (LinearLayout)BBAndroidGame._androidGame._activity.findViewById(R.id.adlayout);
		// set visible
		layout.setVisibility(LinearLayout.VISIBLE);
		layout.bringToFront();
		layout.requestFocus();
	}

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#14]
Sorry to bump an old topic, but I was wondering about adding this to a game and found this topic.

I was playing FarmVille 2 a few months ago, and they did exactly this - rewards for watching ads. Perhaps Zynga did a deal directly with advertisers to get around this?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#15]
Zynga are not the only developers to offer rewards for watching adverts, I think the key thing here tho is that they are watching a movie, not clicking an image link to an external website, so the player is being asked to sit still and watch an advert that may last a minute or more.

IN those situations I think the rules may be different.. unsure though, if ever in doubt the best thing to do is ask your ad provider, send them an e-mail explain what you want to try and if they will permit it or not, that's why they are there, they wont ban you for asking.

but they might if you try it without asking.

Soap(Posted 2013) [#16]
You could give a reward for someone going to a screen with an ad and "looking" at it (like have a count down timer until they can leave once they go), which is similar to watching a video, but you would probably make less money than just showing ads by far without having a special area for them. You simply cannot incentivize clicks period.

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#17]
Thank you guys.

I haven't really researched AdMob at all, so you only get paid when the user actually clicks on all these ads?

Of course if your game is popular enough (Words with Friends) you can annoy the hell out of the user with ads that they don't click until they fork out the 99c or whatever it is to purchase the app :)

dragon(Posted 2013) [#18]
i think today that displaying a banner for 10-15 sec (with counter) before a game starts is the best option...

During this time, i can also inform a user about "plus"-Version and all other features

I have also more space for game & menu

(i never like banner showing during game play)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#19]
Dragon that's actually a good idea and I think that's why interstitial ad's are good , because they do just that spawn their own window full the screen and wait for a few seconds , its recomended that they are showen between levels, this keeps the ad away from the gameplay area all together.