Dealing with DeviceResolution

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Dealing with DeviceResolution

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#1]
I found this html snippet from ElectricBoogaloo and it is very useful! However it appears DeviceWith & DeviceHeight does not update?

So even tough things in my app "should" be resolution independant (and is) I can't test it "on the fly".

Any ideas on how to fix? Feels like that would be the end of the resolution testing hassle forever! :)

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#2]
I'm rendering this to test:

Method OnRender()
DrawCircle 0, 0, 100
DrawCircle 0, DeviceHeight, 100
DrawCircle DeviceWidth, DeviceHeight, 100
DrawCircle DeviceWidth, 0, 100
End

It seems to work downwards. When initial resolution is higher width/height works even at smaller resolutions but not bigger?

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#3]
Just a thought, based on my use of diddy.SetNativeGraphicsSize(): are you trying to read the new values during OnUpdate()? In the case of the diddy function, I don't know whether it only activates during OnRender(), or whether Monkey only reads the values then, but when I call it I don't get a new resolution until OnRender() is called.

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#4]
Yeah, I also used the SetNativeGraphicsSize before, then I had the resolution set from code - which is OK, but this is much more handy imo.

Even if it takes a render, would that not mean it just takes a frame to get it "right" again? Or is there something manual. Like a MojoVerifyDevice?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#5]
Hmm.. I'm using DeviceWidth() and DeviceHeight() here, with no issues.

I tend to stick them into Global variables, though..

J_WW=DeviceWidth();J_WH=DeviceHeight()

inside OnRender() seems to work fine for me.
Perhaps, as Gerry suggests, it only works within OnRender()..?

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#6]
Gerry, setting SetVirtual(DeviceWidth, DeviceHeight, True) in OnRender was one of the things I had missed. Thanks for that!

Now it "almost" always work. But like before it gets weird in certain cases.

It is the two rightmost circles that disappear so I assume it has to do with DeviceWidth/DeviceHeight, or is it only for me?

I'm testing on Chrome.

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#7]
Hm... I have gotten it working now.

I'm updating the rez in OnUpdate. Tough seems like I have to set the size and position of every gui-element every frame.

However the corner-circle work now in all resolutions :)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#8]
"Tough seems like I have to set the size and position of every gui-element every frame."

Just store the last-known resolution, and if it hasn't changed since the last frame you don't have to change your layout.