@ crjenkins

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/@ crjenkins

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hay mate before you mate a HUGE mistake and actually get that refund processed...

http://jayenkai.socoder.net/GameList.php?

Guy makes a new game EVERY WEEK. if thats not proof that you can make something with the language then check out the AWARD WINNING http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Apps/app.php?id=146 , and hell if thats not enough take a look at the massive list of games people are selling in app stores all over the place.

Your honestly about to make a mistake, I hope this changes your mind, and if the above is not enough then look at em, I'm Dyslexic, badly so, but even I can make games with monkey.

I think your simply not giving yourself time to adapt and learn the language. stick with it, you wont be sorry.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
I honestly have no clue why anybody would do their main development with Monkey, using the actual target. It is much more efficient to get the bulk of it done using the GLFW target (which, coincidentally, now has a debugger).

I don't understand why this crjenkins chap feels he was "misled". I'm also not sure how he claims to have written a "35,000 line file" with a Monkey licence that is "less than a week old" (sorry for all the quotes, they're necessary!). Either he's superhuman, or lying/exaggerating. Either way, I'm baffled how one can write that much code before deciding they don't like Monkey. I mean, really, WTF?!

Bad workmen. Tools. 'Nuff said!

benmc(Posted 2013) [#3]
I've used Monkey every day for almost the last ~2 years now (or since v49 whenever that was), and it's changed my life in a great way. I love it.

EDIT: I too do all my work in GLFW and go to the device when I'm ready to make sure everything I'm doing is working out.

John McCubbin(Posted 2013) [#4]
Aye I'm the same when I'm working on iPhone or iPad stuff, I build for GLFW or XNA and run it on my PC, checking now and then on the actual device just to check everything still runs OK and is readable and so on.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
I've used Monkey every day for almost the last ~2 years now (or since v49 whenever that was), and it's changed my life in a great way. I love it.
Same here, but with Blitzmax and about 6 years. And I'll bitchslap anybody who disses it.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#6]
Isn't it interesting how developers get attached to our tools and fight so hard to defend them :) I do the same with a number of technologies, and sometimes I wonder why.

Maybe it's because the industry is dominated by males, but it's like the "protect your turf" mentality takes over as soon as someone walks into your forum and changes the tone. I don't know... Fun to think about tho, and I try not to let these things get under my skin.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#7]
I think its more like we can see the value because we have spent time with it, so when some one comes along who has not spent time with it and just rights it off, we like to try at least and show them their wrong.

Personally I build for html5, for some reason it takes my PC like a year to build GLFW and I am far to lazy to site there a few extra seconds lol, also I know that if I can get everything running at top speed and smooth on html5 and flash the other targets will knock it out the park, at least thats my findings so far.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#8]
See, GLFW compiles a lot faster than HTML5 on mine. My PC is fairly nippy, though (i5-2400 CPU @ 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, SSD), for what difference that makes.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#9]
Yeah i5 here as well, bout 8 gig of ram etc... think its my hardrive thats slowing things down.

Not all that fussed tho building for html5 is nice and quick anyway.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#10]
Woot! GLFW has a debugger? bugger been old-skooling it on HTML5 all this time.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#11]
Yeah i5 here as well, bout 8 gig of ram etc... think its my hardrive thats slowing things down.
Mate, get an SSD! My PC (full of all my development crap) boots up to usable desktop in ~10s. You'll never go back.

I put an SSD in my Lenovo recently, too. Decent laptop but the hard drive was badly letting the side down.

John McCubbin(Posted 2013) [#12]
Aye SSD makes everything better, from cold restart to windows fully open and ready to go in 3 seconds, you can't beat it.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#13]
Yeah it's on my list of things to buy if one of my games sell. :)

Raul(Posted 2013) [#14]
Who needs a debugger... means he is making mistakes :))
Kidding...

I myself wrote a mail to the owner of this website after a few days after buying Monkey. I was disappointed at 1st because of the lack of... resources and tutorials. Even though I used blitzmax to made a full game and published it. I wanted my money back.

I am happy I never received an email on what to do next. So, I continued to used and I am pretty sure is one of the best 2D frameworks for mobile devices.

It's up to we now to make games and app good enough to continue supporting this community.

R.

Zurrr(Posted 2013) [#15]

Guy makes a new game EVERY WEEK. if thats not proof that you can make something with the language then check out the AWARD WINNING http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Apps/app.php?id=146 , and hell if thats not enough take a look at the massive list of games people are selling in app stores all over the place.

WOW So many. Is it One guy?
I got NO TIME but so many idea.
May be I have a time management issue ;<

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#16]
Perfectionism is the project killer.

skid(Posted 2013) [#17]

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#18]
*wonders what's meant by 907*
*realises*

Is that it!?

dang!

GfK(Posted 2013) [#19]
Number 907 is not happy, sell the man those other bananas.
He's not gonna fall for a banana in the tailpipe.

Amon(Posted 2013) [#20]
He's not gonna fall for a banana in the tailpipe.

Strange...I watched Beverley Hills Cop only yesterday. :)

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#21]
Number 907 is not happy...

Number #1 is (yes that's me. lol).

GfK(Posted 2013) [#22]
Number #1 is (yes that's me. lol).
You're officially #20! :P

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#23]
I'm 447 :( wish I had gotten it much sooner but had to wait for the money :)

Still happy tho.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#24]
You're officially #20! :P

Well yes, but still customer #1. LOL