No Debugger - No Refund

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/No Debugger - No Refund

crjenkins(Posted 2013) [#1]
I was misled into thinking the Monkey language had the capability to debug by the debugging options available in TED. Haxe has debugging capabilities, there's absolutely no reason why Monkey should be missing such a huge feature that is with nearly every language to date.

We're completely unable to create any game in an understandable timeframe with the lack of debugging. Using the third party language as a debugger is a waste of time when your code is generated into a single 35000 line file.

This language is unusable for any of my mainstream game development.

Since you've been so kindly to ignore my request for a refund of a license that's less than a week old, I felt this was the only proper way of getting a response.

Thanks

Amon(Posted 2013) [#2]
I'm sorry for your first initial impression of Monkey.

This language is unusable for any of my mainstream game development.

That is completely wrong. Research first before making such claims.

I was misled into thinking the Monkey language had the capability to debug by the debugging options available in TED.

What did you read that brought you to the conclusion that you were misled? It is important.

Finally, Mark is very 'Pro refund'. I am certain that if you want a refund, and from my experience when reading Marks replies regarding such things, then you have to contact ShareIt and ask for a refund which Mark will Authorise.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#3]
What Amon said. But what do you expect from the debugger?

Personally I always debug with print lines but just tried the debugger with GLFW and for me it does what it should. The only thing I am missing is that you can run till the next debugstop. But you can step through your code line by line, step in or out of functions/method, all fields and declarations are visible.
So what were you expecting from the debugger?

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#4]
Haxe offers haxe-source debugging in Javascript via source-mapping. Apart from that it's all native as far as I'm aware. Monkey doesn't offer JS source-mapping currently, but does offer a source-mapped debugger in GLFW. That debugger is primitive and flaky and I rarely use it in preference to a native tool, but it does exist.

It sounds like you're one of the breed of developers whose first instinct is to fire up a debugger whenever a problem arises. If you're that heavily reliant on debugging then your current best option is to get familiar with one of the browser debug environments and accept looking at the Javascript until (maybe) source-mapping is implemented.

skid(Posted 2013) [#5]
As Amon says, use ShareIt to action a refund.

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#6]
Please send all refund requests to shareit - it should take about 3 days to process.