Mollusk -- a new (third?) IDE -- testers wanted!

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Mollusk -- a new (third?) IDE -- testers wanted!

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#1]
NEWER MOLLUSK THREAD HERE: http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=5886

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello folks,

I'm a recent Monkey convert and new to this forum, but I'd like to announce a project I've been working on... Mollusk, an alternative IDE for Monkey.

Yes, I am aware of Jungle :)

This started as a personal side-project when my latest game was growing too unwieldy for Ted. I tried out Jungle, and it's a great piece of software, but there were a few things I didn't like (and my laptop has some issues with it). I consider Mollusk a reasonable intermediate IDE between Ted and Jungle.

Recently I decided it was worth polishing up to be released publicly. I still have a few features I want to add before it goes live, but currently I am looking for a few beta testers. If you are interested, reply here or send me an email. (Preferably, but not necessarily, Flash/XNA/iOS developers, since I usually use HTML5/GLFW/Android.)

There is a placeholder page with a couple screenshots on my website: http://www.grudlux.com/mollusk/

Before I forget -- it is currently for Windows only, but I am working on porting it to Mac as well.

Thanks for reading. Now I have more testing to do!

- Ryan

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#2]
looks good, monkey needs ides. what gui lib are you using?

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#3]
Any chance for Mac version.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#4]
I could test it , stuck without the money to buy a new jungle licence and like you find myself with a project thats just a bit to much for ted to deal with.

caffeinekid(Posted 2013) [#5]
I'm happy to give it a whirl. :)

Don't suppose it has code folding? I used to love my old Blitz ide that did that. :)

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#6]
Ah I just noticed this forum doesn't have messaging between users, so I will ask that you send me an email (touk@...) if you want to try it. Be sure to mention your forum name! Depending on how many people respond, I don't guarantee I'll send it to everyone. I'll put the latest beta online and send out links later today.

- It's based on Scintilla, similar to Notepad++, Scite, etc.

- I am 90% confident there will be a Mac version.

- It does NOT have code folding yet, but it's possible. That's on my to-do-if-there-is-enough-demand list.

FelipeA(Posted 2013) [#7]
If you make a version for mac, I will love you for ever.

David Casual Box(Posted 2013) [#8]
Sounds great! I "light" IDE!
+1 for the Mac version :)

Milky Joe(Posted 2013) [#9]
+1 for the Mac version.

NoOdle(Posted 2013) [#10]
+1 for Mac version & code finding

samowitsch(Posted 2013) [#11]
+1 for the Mac version!

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#12]
Sounds like a lot of people want a Mac port... let me get some feedback on the Windows version first.

I've put a Windows beta online today. If you're interested send me an email now -- I have gotten a few already, and I will send out links shortly.

vmakar85(Posted 2013) [#13]
It looks like code block =) will be wait release!

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#14]
Hey that looks nice! Good luck with your IDE! Competition and choice is always a good thing, so I'm all for it!

frank(Posted 2013) [#15]
+1 for Mac

I would test your Windows version, but I have no Windows anywhere. Only Mac + Ubuntu.

Reminds me;

+1 for Ubuntu

(if you can run on Mac then Ubuntu shouldn't be a stretch :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#16]
Looking good, I would like to see more highlighting options tho, I would for example like to highlight class's differently from methods.

I think Jungle spoiled me when it comes to syntax highlighting tho.

I also don't like the large garish icons, but thats a total personal opinion type deal their not bad looking I just tent to not like the large icons in an ide.

Another suggestion you might consider, an image preview window that you can dock where the log window is, you might also make it contextual as well , if the code pointer or programmer is typing in a line that has an image reference on it then you could have that image auto load into the little docked window, would be cool I think.

Difference(Posted 2013) [#17]
+ One for Mac version :-)

hsutuo(Posted 2013) [#18]
open source?

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#19]
@vmakar85 It's quite a bit simpler than Code Blocks :)

@ziggy Thanks, good to hear that.

@frank Ubuntu/any Linux version is a very small "maybe" at this point...

@Taiphoz Good ideas. As for the icons, the only options are "large" or completely hide the toolbar... I thought about adding a "small icons" option but haven't got to it yet.

@hsutuo It will not be open source in the near future, for a few different reasons.

ordigdug(Posted 2013) [#20]
+1 MAC version

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#21]
+100 for mac

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#22]
Ryan load your icons from an image strip and have an ini file that describes the size , people can then just make their own.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#23]
+1 for Mac
.. if it will support code folding, native shortcuts and some kind of code completition.

Of course I would be willing to back that up with cash.

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#24]
How much do you guys think should be "foldable"? Classes / methods / functions? Personally I think it's overkill when folding goes too fine, like to the If/Endif level...

@Taiphoz I will probably make the toolbar more customizable, soon.

@Shinkiro Could you elaborate what you mean by "native shortcuts" - keyboard shortcuts like standard Mac programs?

Auto-complete might come after everything else is worked out. I know I am saying a lot of "maybes", we will see how it goes :)

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#25]
Folding is very helpful with a large project and it is nice to fold If/Endif or Case/Select, also Auto-Complete is great and all of that on a Mac would be well worth paying for.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#26]
I think what I would like, and what might suit others as well as that you check the scope or total number of lines to fold and then make a descision based on that.

For example, don't show a fold for a function that's only two lines deep, but a function that's 20 or 30 lines should be foldible, better yet why not add an options window for folding, give parts for all foldible code, functions, methods, if's for's etc. and then an edit box where the user can insert the fold threshold, any code block that is longer than the code threshold gets a fold + anything bellow is ignored.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#27]
Taiphoz has great suggestions there. I use Jungle. I don't use most of the features but a must have for me is auto completion. Most of the users here would probably disagree, but I would rather have completion that folding. Auto-completion just makes life so much easier. Especially using strict and with descriptive method and class names.

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#28]
One particular feature that Notepad++ has is the ability to highlight one word in a file and have all occurances of it highlighted also. This i really like and want.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#29]
Being dyslexic auto completion is simply a must have and one of the main reasons I got jungle so it's deff way up there on the list of things to have.

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#30]
All good suggestions.

Personally I use auto-complete more often than I use folding (and it should also be easier to implement), but I will try to add both features to some extent before a public release. Obviously they can be tweaked in the future.

@Neuro - I like that feature too.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#31]
Making any progress ?

tiresius(Posted 2013) [#32]
Auto-completion is a must have I paid a lot of $$ for the jungle IDE license so I could have this feature. Especially when learning a new language, module, or when your project gets too big.

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#33]
Yes I have been making progress... I hope to release Mollusk v1.0 by the end of this month. Here is my current plan:

Before public v1.0 release:
- finish my to-do list (about three minor features remain)
- release a 0.93 beta to testers (maybe this Friday?)
- implement auto-complete

MAYBE for public v1.0 release, MAYBE later:
- get Mac version working and tested

After public v1.0 release:
- implement code folding (maybe a v1.1 feature)
- other user suggestions, any bug fixes, etc...
- investigate Linux port?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#34]
shot off an email with some thoughts and suggestions as well as some , well wont call them bugs but things to look at. hope it helps.

skape(Posted 2013) [#35]
I do like Jungle, but I am planning on moving (back) to Mac at some point in the nearish future, so a Mac Ted alternative would be welcome from me! (I guess that means another "+1 Mac version".) Good luck getting 1.0 wrapped.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#36]
Yeah I love Jungle as well but cant use it at the moment due to the monkey update and my stupid 6 month licence being out of date, so mollusk could easily replace jungle for me.

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#37]
UPDATE:

I am still working on the Mac port, but I've decided I will release the Windows version 1.0 first - within the next few days, so check back soon!

I've done pretty much what I stated in the last post: finished a few remaining features, added basic auto-completion, got further with the Mac port. Folding and a few others are still on the wishlist. At this point I think it's ready for a public release, at least to gauge everyone's initial response.

It will NOT be free... but it will be reasonably priced and include lifetime updates! And like Monkey itself, there will be a free HTML5-only demo.

Thanks for everyone's interest and feedback so far!

skape(Posted 2013) [#38]
Good to hear your progress! Looking forward to checking it out.

TFT(Posted 2013) [#39]
i am wayting so long to ather IDE vor Monkey.......

FelipeA(Posted 2013) [#40]
If there is a mac version I'll buy it!

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#41]
I hope its a little cheaper than Jungle(I am sure it's well worth the money though) as Jungle was out of my price range I am afraid.