Is it possible to make a Xml/db driven app?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Is it possible to make a Xml/db driven app?

Thursten(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi, i am new to monkey and blitz. I picked monkey because it is exportable to different platforms and because i was interested in game development. On my job i do Php development with zend framework doctrine etc.

Now i have read somewhere that monkey can be used to make normal apps and not only games.
I was wondering how some1 would accomplish this and if it is possible to make apps that are xml file driven or database driven?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#2]
I was wondering how some1 would accomplish this and if it is possible to make apps that are xml file driven or database driven?

Monkey does not have any database modules for multiple targets yet.

You can do XML as there is a native Monkey XML and a native Filestream module. Please note that file writing is NOT available on web based targets (Flash & HTML5) because of security issues.

For making an "App" vs a game, well, Monkey does not use native UI functions, but you can make your own using a module like JungleGUI. Monkey doesn't tap into the functionality of mobile for data exchange things like maps, contacts, etc. or things on the desktop like clipboard.

Thursten(Posted 2013) [#3]
Ok, Thx for the response, i will look into JungleGUI to see what the possibilitys are.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#4]
Thurten: JungleGui is still in VERY early development. Not even a first Milestone has been completed. I do honestly think the basis of it are very solid, and the design of the control structures is based on several GUIs I've designed before. I think it will be on production quality in some months (hopefully) but everything in the lib is highly subject to change and, also, the set of currently available controls is rather small.

Thursten(Posted 2013) [#5]
Ziggy: i have added the google discussion to my account, but i was wondering. What is your overal view of approaching GUI making in monkey?
Will it be all code based? or more like a smart GUI that loads a xml or something like android development uses? (Would be awesome that you could use a xml format with high lenght of fields and array keys to set your event handlers to. ) I've only just started learning monkey and im not that far in yet since i work +- 60 hours a week. I hope to get some more learning time in to my schedule, but we will see.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#6]
Thursten: Currently, I'm building a core GUI system. The system is event-driven and uses reflection to emulate delegates on Monkey. That opens the door to all kind of dynamic loading of gadgets. It should be possible to create forms, panels o a complete GUI screen using an external XML document and even "name" there the methods associated with events, so you can easily separate the interface from the implementation. BUT this is something that could come once everything is much much much evolved. Currently we're still figthing things like setting a button on a screen.

Thursten(Posted 2013) [#7]
Ziggy: Great to hear what your vision is about it. I will be following your progression on the google discussion forum :)

Keep up the good work!