Jungle Ide Docs system and Monkey official docs.

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Jungle Ide Docs system and Monkey official docs.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#1]
I'm considering modifying the current Jungle docs system in favour of the currently available official docs system on latest Monkey iteration.

Anyone is against this move?

The benefits are:
-Standarization
-Integration of custom modules into regular monkey documentation

The breaking changes:
-Documentation system using Summary: will have to be modified to use monkeydoc "notation"
-Documentation is not inmediatly available upon module distribution as it has to be built. (this can be automated on the IDE when the user refresh modules, but it's an additional step!)
-MarkDown notation from monkeydoc is based on a wiki-like notation instead of being based on a bbdoc style notation. So this would require some changes.

I could leave current system as it is, and also add current official system, but I do honestly like the idea of contributing to Monkey standarization.

I'm open to any suggestion from Jungle Ide Pro and Lite users.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
I just have made the fE docs compatible to your IDE and now you want to change it? Guess I just learned a lesson.

But don't worry, I will change the docs being Monkey compatible now anyway. I was going two ways but that makes it much easier for me. :-)

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#3]
I just have made the fE docs compatible to your IDE and now you want to change it? Guess I just learned a lesson.
That's why I'm asking! I'm evaluating impact, and people's intentions.
I supose most framework/module developers will go with the official new docs system. That said, I'm not removing backwards compatibility. Your docs system will still be working on Jungle Ide. what I'm considering is making Jungle Ide docs system deprecated, and remove it over time in favour if the official ones. That process could be a complete year or so and I would always keep backwards compatibility on the functionality (F1 still bringing the jungle Ide system docs if available).
I haven't yet decided what to do, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to go with one of the two available system.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#4]
Yes, as Mark has now introduced an very nice way to create docs from within the IDE, it makes sense to support its format.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#5]
I've used the Summary: notation extensively on my projects and would be opposed to anything which requires a more complicated system, since only needing one line to implement it is a boon to me.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to integration of more complicated docs systems, especially with regards to argument identifiers, so that we can write very nice libraries which a proper IDE can give information about inside the tooltip and avoid going to the official docs.

I'd say, keep the Summary: support, but add extended support for the monkeydocs format, once it's clear that this format isn't going to change completely on us in the near future.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#6]
Ziggy, you can forget about it for now. Mark replied to one of my bug reports, that he isn't even sure how he will integrate 3rd party modules into the doc system. :-(

Slowy I am getting tired of trying the chase the ever changing Monkey.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#7]
Mark replied to one of my bug reports, that he isn't even sure how he will integrate 3rd party modules into the doc system.
That's somehow expected. Current DocMods system is experimental and being a WIP. It does not mean that it's not coming. Just not ready for thirdparty modules yet. AFAIK, Mark seems to be adding this soon although he may not be sure how everything will work when it's done. It's a very early release of the whole docmods system. I'm prety sure 3th party integration will be worth it.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#8]
I think its a good idea ziggy and its got my vote of approval for what ever its worth.

for those who are worried about the changes in notation of their code, would it not be possible and wise to run both methods with a switch in the ide's options to set which to use. at least just for a little while while people get used to the new official way.

and I have to agree, having a standard to follow makes like so much easier for all.