Installing on "windows xp" under parallels?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Installing on "windows xp" under parallels?

Ken(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi Guys,

I saw that Jungle IDE allows debugging under GLFW. Yay! Then I saw that it's only for Windows. Bummer.

So last night I installed Parallels 8, and then Windows XP SP3 on my iMac running 10.8.3.

It's cool seeing Mac/Windows together like this. Talk about apples vs oranges.

I've got the MonkeyPro70b, and it seems as if windows and mac binaries are in there.

Okay, when I try to run it as a Mac, I can get to help, I can see the different targets, etc.

When I try to run it as a PC, no help, and no targets. This also shows up in the JungleIDE environment, which kinda defeats the purpose.

Can anyone point me to the FM so I can R?

Thanks!

-Ken

Ken(Posted 2013) [#2]
Oh. Got it. I'm posting this in in hope it helps someone.

Parallels allows you to access the Mac filesystem via UNC paths (\\psf\Documents*) as well as windows-style paths (z:\Documents\*).

When I had installed both Monkey, and Jungle, I had been running from the UNC paths.

To completely fix this I had to
1) uninstall jungle and monkey in windows using the "Add programs" control panel.
2) run regedit, and search for "jungle" and delete those keys anytime I found one.

Once I had done that, I reinstalled from within windows, making sure to use the windows paths (Z:\Documents\*).

Finally, I had to go in to Jungle's preferences, and tell it that the Monkey distribution was in z:\Documents\Monkey, not \\psf\Documents\Monkey.

Once I did this, I could see help and targets, and compile for all the platforms on windows.

Amazing stuff this.

-Ken

Ken(Posted 2013) [#3]
Almost forgot...the .zip functionality of Windows XP SP3 didn't unpack the Monkey.zip file correctly.

I had to do an 'unzip' from an OSX terminal window first to make sure I got all the files, and only /then/ do the reinstall above.

-Ken

FelipeA(Posted 2013) [#4]
I'm sorry to use your post for this, but is there a tutorial on how to install Jungle IDE on Mac ? I know there is no port for mac, but the steps I need to do to run Jungle on a mac. Please and thanks!

Ken(Posted 2013) [#5]
The method I used is pretty straightforward, but not cheap:
1) Install Parallels 8 (I got it in one of the macupdate bundle packages)
2) Install Windows XP in a virtual machine (I had an old no-longer-used XP disk lying around)
3) Install Jungle IDE from the installer. Make sure that in the virtual machine you've installed, the path you're installing to looks like z:\, not to \\psf\*

Well...that's pretty much it. Once you've done that, it just works.

Mind you, you still do need to mentally shift gears when working on one program or the other.

-Ken