Where to begin?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Where to begin?

Ken(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi Guys,

Just downloaded Monkey last night, and got to playing with it. It's almost exactly what I've been looking for, I think.

There are questions when one starts up though...
1) Is getting a pile of files from github the best way to update to the latest version? How do I compile the files for the binaries?
2) How does one compile everything when the source comes down from ogithub (I'm on a mac, running 10.8.3, xcode 4.6.1, if that matters.)
3) The only possible targets are html5, glfw, ios, stdcpp. How would I go about adding Android and flash targets?
4) What does debug mode get me? Is it simply a way to set a symbol during compilation, or is there a step-by-step way to debug? (gdb in a window would be fine).
5) What's the FAQ etiquette? I've got a github membership already, so presumably I could edit the FAQ page, right?

Thanks,

-Ken

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
Welcome Ken.

I would actually get the latest version from your account page. V70 is right at the bottom flag as an experimental version but I find it working good so far.
Personally I see the github stuff more for contributers to the package. So far Mark has released versions very often so you don't wait long for updates anyway.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#3]
1. no, since it won't include the proprietary stuff like mojo for other targets. use the account page.
3. In the "TED" ide, click the house button (Help) and click the "Target SDKs" link. It lists how to get other targets running.
4. for desktop (GLFW target), it gives debug info in a window on Ted on the right. DebugStop() will allow the "Step" buttons to work.
If you want a cheap profiler, use the HTML5 target and Chrome Browser (it's nice).
5. No etiquette yet, but i think it would be ok to edit it. stay professional and use easily translatable terms (ie no slang) since many of the monkey coders are not native English speakers.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#4]
Personally I'd even suggest that that you download the last but one version from the account page as a rule. Nearly all bugs should have been cleared out. [Not that the latest version tends to be particularly buggy, but there is clearly more risk of a bug. And language bugs tend to be particularly frustrating when you're a beginner, since you rightly assume that any bug is probably of your own making!]

Debug mode doesn't offer much on most targets except a line number when you crash. But when you set up the GLFW target, you can set breakpoints using DebugStop() instructions, and then you can step forward, inspect variables etc.

FBEpyon(Posted 2013) [#5]
I was looking at the latest version after 66b, and not one of them will let you compile for Android.. I keep getting errors so getting the latest version is not always good.

I haven't got around to trying v70, but I'm afraid that it is just as broke as the rest of them.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#6]
@FBEpyon: Even the samples that ship with Monkey? I can hardly believe that, will test that later.

FBEpyon(Posted 2013) [#7]
@MikeHart
I figured it out.. But now every time I do a test on the Emulator it doesn't load back up.. (V70).

mteo77(Posted 2013) [#8]
I am using 67f and it does compile for Android.
Have you tried deleting the ".build" folder of the examples/code you are tried to compile?
I have been caught in that as well.

Ken(Posted 2013) [#9]
Thank you very much guys.

I hadn't seen the "Product updates" link at the top of the page. I'm playing with this now.

Cheers!

-Ken

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#10]
@FBEpyon, actually V70B has problems on Android. I get a bunch of compiling errors regarding a missing arrayLength method.

V69 is fine there.