Jungle Ide and WebKit

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Jungle Ide and WebKit

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#1]
I'm currently testing a Jungle Ide version that uses WebKit instead of the Microsoft .net implementation of the Internet Explorer browser component. This seems to fix several problems when loading local files, and also it brings better rendering of modern html standards to Jungle Ide. However, It's based on a 32 bits version of WebKit so Jungle Ide will be working as a 32 bits application in future releases. It's backwards compatible and not a single performance difference has been noticed in any of my tests other than rendering help faster and being able to test html5 into the Jungle Ide browser. This opens the door to possible future interesting additions to Jungle Ide. whenever there's a tested and fast 64 bits version of the WebKit engine, I'll make Jungle Ide an universal build, but this is not yet available.

I hope this change is okay for everyone.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#2]
Works for me!

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#3]
sounds good. Built-in webkit doing HTML5 could be convenient.

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#4]
+1

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
Good. Also, I'd kill for a Mac version (or at least, poke an angry dog with a stick).

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#6]
Forgot to mention that this will make the setup download a bit bigger. Current beta is now about 10 MiB in my machine. Not as heavy as TED, but definitively heavier than it was before. (current official setup is about 6 MiB)... So about 4 MiB more to download. Hopefully not a drama for anyone.

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#7]
Ooooo yes do it :D

FelipeA(Posted 2013) [#8]
Please! mac version PLOX!

ordigdug(Posted 2013) [#9]
+1 mac version please!!!

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#10]
if ziggy used WPF instead of winforms to make Jungle, it'll be a loooooonnnnng time before you guys see a port to any other OS.....

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#11]
Just to clarify, I'm not currently working on any port to Mac. This change may make it a bit more wine friendly, but that's all. Also, I'm finding some issues with the WebKit I hope to be ironing out, but all in all, it's very stable as I have it now.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#12]
if ziggy used WPF instead of winforms to make Jungle, it'll be a loooooonnnnng time before you guys see a port to any other OS.....
I do not use WPF if I can avoid it. It's a great framework but I'm too used to WinForms that It takes longer for me to be productive on WPF.

I've been doing more tests and have found some small showstopers here and there regarding the integration of WebKit into WindowsForms. also, the attemps I've been trying to integrate made by other people have some issues too to load localy hosted sites on an arbitrary port, and also there are some issues regarding new window creation and handling, so all in all, I can't justify the costs and time it would require to have a really well done and propper implementation of it on Jungle Ide... So... I'm currently evaluating the chominium embedable framework and have a sample "browser" going (not 100% stable) but it happens to allow the chrominium dev tools with profiling, network monitoring, etc so... if I manage to make it work, it's sort of good news. (don't hold your breath yet, it's not a five minutes thingy)

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#13]
Cool wit me, yo.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#14]
I've been testing latest 2 days a new build that integrates the CEF framework, includes all the chrominium dev tools for html and it seems to be rock solid. The final setup is a bit large (about 15MiB download) but the benefits worth it. Also, Jungle Ide launches faster now.
I've been also adding some optimizations. Hope to be releasing this update very soon.