MinGW Make Error 1

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/MinGW Make Error 1

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#1]
When compiling on Windows XP (SP3) I get:
"E:/Linux/MonkeyPro69/bin/transcc_winnt" -target=Glfw_Game -config=Debug -run "E:/A.I/AI.monkey"
TRANS monkey compiler V1.46
Parsing...
miniB3D opengl11
Semanting...
Translating...
Building...
g++   -I../glfw/include -I../glfw/lib -I../glfw/lib/win32 -I../openal/include -I../stb  -c -o ../main.o ../main.cpp
g++ -Wl,--subsystem,windows -L../openal/libs/Win32 -o Debug/MonkeyGame ../glfw/lib/enable.o ../glfw/lib/fullscreen.o ../glfw/lib/glext.o ../glfw/lib/image.o ../glfw/lib/init.o ../glfw/lib/input.o ../glfw/lib/joystick.o ../glfw/lib/stream.o ../glfw/lib/tga.o ../glfw/lib/thread.o ../glfw/lib/time.o ../glfw/lib/window.o ../glfw/lib/win32/win32_dllmain.o ../glfw/lib/win32/win32_enable.o ../glfw/lib/win32/win32_fullscreen.o ../glfw/lib/win32/win32_glext.o ../glfw/lib/win32/win32_init.o ../glfw/lib/win32/win32_joystick.o ../glfw/lib/win32/win32_thread.o ../glfw/lib/win32/win32_time.o ../glfw/lib/win32/win32_window.o ../stb/stb_image.o ../stb/stb_vorbis.o ../main.o -lopengl32 -lOpenAL32 -lws2_32
mingw32-make: *** [Debug/MonkeyGame] Error 1
TRANS FAILED: Error executing 'mingw32-make CCOPTS="" OUT="Debug/MonkeyGame"', return code=2
Done.

I have installed MinGW to C:\MinGW32 from the web address in the config file, set the config paths. Even installed OpenAL and still no joy. Has anyone encountered this problem and sorted it as atm I cant compile for Windows due to the 'Error 1' situation.

Also I have tried installing VC++ 2010 which fails on installing the error reporting tools so doesnt install anything else, this is a fresh updated install of Windows XP.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#2]
Now getting this with Star Rogue anyone have any ideas as I've been looking around the forum for a fix

The file mingw32-make is there, the paths have all been set. I have a environment variable set for mingw but still the same crap. Could someone point me in the direction of how to get mingw to work with the latest monkey as I had it working with v6x but v7x it don't want to play ball.

EDIT: I mostly code on linux where this error hasn't come up as soon as I jump into windows vista its kaput

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#3]
EdzUp: Is your mingw32 the official version from www.mingw.org or is it one of these home-brew things I keep seeing on the forums? I remember on Vista that I had to set up all of the paths for mingw and the gcc_exec_prefix variable pointing to MINGW\lib\gcc as well for getting BlitzMax to work. Also for some reason when I have the mingw32 path variable set in the config.nt.txt version 76d. It will automatically use mingw32 as default and over ride the msbuild-tools which then forces me to add #GLFW_USE_MINGW=False in the code.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#4]
Its the official version of mingw i too have all the paths setup and blitzmax compiles perfectly just monkey refuses to work which is annoying tbh as all i want to do is get on with making and releasing a game.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#5]
Sounds to me like a config problem, unless there is a permission problem somehow. Have you tried adding the full path to MINGW_PATH in config.winnt.txt? If I remember transcc sets it's own environment up. I personally don't use the system drive as it can cause problems setting up.
Edit: did you use the MinGW installer?

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#6]
Yup used that lol

Its niggles like these that won't get monkey a good rep at least blitz3d all ya had to do was install it.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#7]
Does anyone have a how to guide for mingw and monkey so I can get this to work ATM I'm on vista with monkey 76d

Shagwana(Posted 2014) [#8]
I have this same issue, and this weekend figured I would try and fix it.

I had VS Express 2010 installed and when using '#GLFW_USE_MINGW=False' in the code the program compiles and works as expected.

At some point (v76) Glfw target was changed to '#GLFW_USE_MINGW=True' by default hence the above problems for Glfw.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#9]
Yeah it was about that time that I got errors with mingw but I have it set to true but still no joy and vs2010 is a no go as it installs to 81% then errors on my vista machine

Shagwana(Posted 2014) [#10]
So far,

On a fresh (server 2012 R2 machine) I installed monkey
Then installed the 32bit version of MinGW (from the url in the config file)
Tried to compile and seen the error about finding a missing OpenAL32.dll
Located and installed aolinst.exe

Now when compiling I see a error message of

OpenAl error: alcOpenDevice failed
Failed to find any usable GLFWFBConfigs
Unable to find a usable pixel format

Issue might be that it wont play well on server 2012 R2!
Or that my server has no sound hardware, need to investigate!

Shagwana(Posted 2014) [#11]
Fixed the 'OpenAl error: alcOpenDevice failed'

This was because on the OS the windows Audio service was not running, so set that puppy to automatic and started it.

Still have the other error however!

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#12]
I honestly think that a tool needs to be made so that the process of installation of the extra components required by monkey is automated otherwise people coming over from max are gonna be greatly disappointed tbh.

I can compile max code perfect but monkey is a no no which is a shame to be honest seeing as the same things worked in v66

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#13]
Yeah it was about that time that I got errors with mingw but I have it set to true but still no joy and vs2010 is a no go as it installs to 81% then errors on my vista machine
If vs2010 is having a problem installing on Vista then it sounds to me that there is some issue with your Vista install or the installer. Search around for vs2010 installation errors.

I honestly think that a tool needs to be made so that the process of installation of the extra components required by monkey is automated otherwise people coming over from max are gonna be greatly disappointed tbh.
The problem here is that Monkey, like BlitzMax requires 3rd party tools and libraries and if you have ever had to set up either BlitzMax or Monkey to work on any 64bit Linux distribution, then you would know what is involved to write such installer tools and maintain them.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#14]
I have done and apparently its quite prevalent on vista

On the third party front its a shame tbh that its come to that for cross platform tools

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#15]
EdzUp: What IDE's are you using? IDE's from Ziggy shouldn't need any system environment variables setting.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#16]
Im using the one that comes with monkey, its the one that everyone is subjected to when they all install monkey ao we need to get all of it sorted otherwise all its gonna do is alienate customers and the word of mouth that most brl products are sold on wont be good.

Shagwana(Posted 2014) [#17]
OK, I have uninstalled MinGW from my main computer (with VS Studio Express installed) and the monkey now compiles without issue or change to code, so I guess its using Visual Studio to compile the monkey project

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#18]
Ah I guess it will have to wait till I get windows 8 for this laptop then as I can't put vs2010 on it

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#19]
Well I am trying vc2010 again I had to install it from a install CD as the download doesn't like it at all, ATM its on 3 of 6 components if it works I will be able to release a windows version of Star Rogue if not I will look at other systems for Star Rogue as I can't wait forever.

This still doesn't help the mingw problems though

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#20]
Finally got vc2010 on there and got a demo to compile over at http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=4030#76304 :)

Shagwana(Posted 2014) [#21]
Good one, well I also managed to get the MinGW install working too!. I dont think MingW & Visual Studio play well together.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#22]
The dragon mingw doesn't like to work over here at all I can only compile through vc++ on windows

Shagwana(Posted 2014) [#23]
MinGW

1. Download 'MinGW', this can be done from the following URL that can be seen in the config.winnt.txt file (on the following link http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/download )
At the above link download the '32' bit version of the installer (at the time of writing this that version was version 4.8.1-3).

2. Once downloaded, double click the set up file and select the following options in the set-up wizard...
2a. Wizard Action = Select “Create”
2b. Select Edition = “MinGW/TDM (32-bit)” then Next
2c. License Changes = Next
2d. Select a folder location to install it too and Next
2e. Select a mirror file server to download from and Next
2f. Install
You will now see a progress bar doing its work, go and grab a drink while that does it work!. Once done, click the Finish button.

3. Download and install OpenAL32. This is a Creative Labs Inc product but I just cannot seem to find the download location for it on their own website. Lucky for us many people have it available for download, one such place is here http://support.focus-home.fr/oalinst.exe

4. Now if you fire up Monkey you will see you now have a C++ Tool option and Desktop Game option.

Now those steps above got it working on a fresh VM

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#24]
I have the tool option just it fails to compile lol i had to use vc2010 to get the win32 version out

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#25]
I think at some time in the future I will have to have a look to see if it is possible to set up the Linux MinGW cross compiler for use with Linux version of Monkey.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#26]
Im just wondering if its possible like we asked back in the blitzmax days if all required files can be hosted here or links to download them from sort of a getting started section for each,target, this would make life so much easier in the.long run than having users trapse through the internet doing something that the creator of the.language should have done himself.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#27]
It would be nice if there was a dedicated sticky in each of targets forum section that could have a general set up guide, but it would just end up like it is over on the other site where the sticky never gets updated because the original poster can't be bothered and then you have to go searching through the posts or someone is just too lazy and asks the same questions over and over again or there ends up being one thousand posts saying the same thing. There must be a dozen posts on "HOW TO: Intall BlitzMax on Ubuntu 12.04" all based off my original post.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#28]
Yeah but a section of the help docs that explain it fully would be much better as its right there for you. I'm just saying as it not good the way it is with a mere mention in the config file about what to download.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#29]
Yeah but a section of the help docs that explain it fully would be much better as its right there for you.
As a Blitz user you should know better about BRL documentation ;-).

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#30]
Yeah I know, but being the latest product I thought they would spend more time making sure its ready so everyone can use it without major issues. Yeah I know max was the same but that was aimed at professionals or so it was marketed at the beginning. Monkey seems to be marketed at everyone and the docs need to reflect this so that beginners can use it without resulting to mass posting on the forums.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#31]
I wouldn't say that Monkey is aimed at beginners as there is a lot of Do-It-Youself. It's more like it's aimed at intermediate to professionals than to someone who has just started programming. You have to have some familiarity with the targets if you want add some functionality that is not available in the standard Monkey distribution. Some how I can't see a beginner being that adept.

EdzUp(Posted 2014) [#32]
Even still better docs never hurt anyone :)