Options for online Accounts in multiplayer games?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Options for online Accounts in multiplayer games?

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#1]
I'm looking to find a service that uses a REST API that works across all platforms that I can use to implement user Account, Account Management, Login, Password Reset, Mail Handling.

Also I'm also looking for the same system (or a complimentary system) to handle simple per-account data online such as game progress, items, xp, friends lists, and similar.

There got to be hundreds!

Got any recommendations?

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#2]
I have been looking into this for the past 6-12 months, and you're right: there are so many options!

I started with Scoreoid, because they use a REST API. Unfortunately, my game required custom leaderboard functionality that they could not handle. They are working on a new system as we speak that should be available soon, so do with that as you will. I will definitely be interested in their next, upgraded option.

I then tried Roar Engine. Really nice interface, REST API available, but expensive.

The one I'm investigating now, and trying to get help building a monkey API for, is App42. They have everything you want and seem to be more reasonably priced than others.

The important aspect of the above providers is that they are focused on being a GAME backend. There are other backend-as-a-service (BaaS) providers out there who are more well known in the space, Parse, Kinvey, Stackmob (Stackmob being my favorite of those), but they don't cater exclusively to games.

I'd love to see some kind of comparison and review site for all these providers, but they are few and far between. There are a few web sites out there providing more info, but few (if any!) provide a recommendation or ranking of providers. For this reason, there's no real consensus I've been able to find, just yet, on who the best backend is.

I've been doing a lot of reading and experimenting in the past year with regard to BaaS providers, and the one I'd go with now is App42. I would not be shocked, however, if in the next few months, they get knocked off that perch to be replaced by something better- meaning either cheaper or easier to interface with.

ADDED: With the new httprequest functionality mark has built into monkey, we should be able to connect to any one of these providers pretty easily. I'm willing to help test and/or fund development of a monkey module for interfacing with App42 right now, but I'm also willing to do this for other providers should the community pick another. SO LET'S GET THIS DONE, PEOPLE! FOR MONKEY'S SAKE! :-)

ADDED: Good reference: API Evangelist.

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#3]
Awesome response!

That is great information.

I'm working on getting REST API working right now in Monkey using the RequestHTTP class for purposes like this. I'm starting with GameAnalytics.com, however once I have a nice module for REST API integration, using any service should be a breeze!

It seems HttpRequest crashes on JSon responses atm, but need more debugging :)

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#4]
Wow. They've got a great blog! Gotta add that to my "Read/Watch List," as well as my "Game Development Resources" list. :-)

Do they receive JSON in the body of the POST? That's one of the things hanging me up right now, is the inability to POST with a JSON body. :-/

I had been developing a monkey API for backend services, for which plug ins could be made for all the different BaaS providers. Should make accommodating multiple providers a little easier for the community.

Let me know if I can help with testing or any other thing! :-)

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#5]
I'll post as soon as I have some code working! :)

Did you already have a system working? Anything that could help?

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#6]
I have nothing useful for you. My system was using mnet, and was basically functional at a very primitive level.

Oh no! Now that I think about it, the reason I was using mnet was because it was cross-platform compatible. I don't think HttpRequest is usable from the HTML5 target (Javascript). DOH!

We might need two modules anyway. :-/

ADD: Or your system could switch to mnet when necessary...?

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#7]
Yes, I'm using an interface so it is very simple to do an #If TARGET="html5" if you want to use another http module there. I do expect Mark to add these http things to html5 and other targets since native support already exists. I suppose he is just working out the interface on the C++ platform first.

I'm looking into a good Monkey json module now to pack data up and down :)

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#8]
ok got GameAnalytics to work!

Will post later.

Will look at App42, sounds like a great service!

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#9]
Wooo hoooo!

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#10]
Nice one tidbit, look forward to your App42 adventure :)

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#11]
Patrik! How goes it? Can we have an update? :-)

I'm ready to heavily test whatever you have.