SDK's and updates...

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/SDK's and updates...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
Having a conversation with a fellow developer and comparing results from my recent little line test app.

we have almost the same setup, think might GFX card is a little better than his, but his frame rates are far worse than mine.

Even flash is performing badly, and I started thinking about the SDK, and that there might be an update that I need which could impact performance, when I looked at Flex it seems a lot has changed since my last visit.

http://flex.apache.org/

I was wondering which of these downloads should I get for monkey.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#2]
I've got Flex SDK 4.6 installed and have no issues with Flash and Monkey.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
are you using Flex from Adobe or Flex from Apache tho?

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#4]
Hmm not sure I just followed a post on here when first setting up Monkey. What's the difference and how do I tell?

I have a "flex_sdk_4.6" folder and a "flexlm" folder.

I have "FlexLM Tools" in my Start Menu that loads a GUI which tells me LMTools is by Macrovision.

That help?

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#5]
@Taiphoz - You should be fine with the flex 4.6 SDK that was the last official release before the transition over to the Apache Flex open source project. Monkey output is pure AS3 and does not even use the Flex framework so the main thing you are interested in out of the SDK is the compiler. The compiler (Falcon) is just now transitioning to the Apache project and in the future there might be some benefits (or requirements) to target later Flash Players.

A bigger issue may be the version of the Flash Player that is loaded on your fellow developer's browser. Also, you can download the standalone player and run the swf from there just to make sure there is no browser contention.

You might also play around with the mxml compiler switches and try setting wmode to "gpu" in the MonkeyGame.html wrapper when calling from the browser.

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#6]
I have both the apache and the adobe flex sdk and both work almost exactly the same for me. I see no difference in performance or anything really...