IDE for Mac?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/IDE for Mac?

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#1]
Anyone using a decent IDE for Mac? I love Jungle IDE on Windows but going back to using TED on Mac is harsh. No auto-complete, no jump to source, no nothing pretty much.

As a result I don't code on my laptop as much as I'd like to and when I do, the process is a lot slower.

Ziggy, please make JungleIDE for Mac! I'd pay for a Mac version!

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#2]
I think there are some plugins available:

http://www.gingerbeardman.com/monkey/

But I don't think none of them provides internaly lexed parsers, so as far as I know they do not provide the same level of autocompletion Jungle Ide has.

That said, latest Jungle Ide version has modified the way it handles background compilation to play a lot nicer on laptops and on virtualized environments as it has reduced a lot its internal disk operations, so using Jungle Ide on a Macbook Pro (or similar) by using Parallels should not consume as much battery as it did on previous iterations (and this is going to improve even more soon).

EDIT: Latest crossover version seems to have a good level of compatibility with .net framework 4 Has anybody tried it?

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#3]
Yeah I guess I should get round to using Parallels then, perhaps with Windows 8. Does Jungle work on Windows 8?

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#4]
Yes, it works in windows 8 Pro, both in 32 and 64 bits versions. That's my laptop main OS now and it works very well (once you get used to the abismal changes on the interface)

Shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#5]
I use Textmate and can only recommend it.
While I never used Jungle and imagine it to be more productive, Textmate (and also Sublime 2) are far superior to TED. I would never want to develop in Ted/Monk.
ziggy is right in saying that the auto complete is not as sophisticated but still very good. Also the snippets alone make TM or Sublime worth using.
E.g. you just type 'for' and hit tab -> will expand into a for next loop.

maverick69(Posted 2013) [#6]
I use "Sublime Text 2" - I really love this editor. It lacks in some features that Jungle IDE hast, but the editor is very fast, has keyword completion and the snippets and that you can add your own python-"macros" to it is just GREAT. Also there are a lot of very useful plugins available.

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#7]
I run Windows 8 through VMWare Studio on my 2 year old MacBook Pro. Jungle IDE works performs practically on par as on the native system.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#8]
@ziggy: I wish there could be something similar.. in JungleIDE

E.g. you just type 'for' and hit tab -> will expand into a for next loop.

maverick69(Posted 2013) [#9]
sorry. deleted my post (misunderstood the foreign post *g*)

Tibit(Posted 2013) [#10]
Use paralells! Visual Studio and the rest of windows stuff works with stellar speed on the new slim mac books - I would recommend it!

Corum(Posted 2013) [#11]
EDIT: Latest crossover version seems to have a good level of compatibility with .net framework 4 Has anybody tried it?
I once tried to run JungleIDE through PlayOnMac, with no happiness.

Mono framework improves day by day. Would it be so hard to drop the native .NET in favour of Mono, using Winforms as GUI toolkit?

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#12]
Even with the improvements to Mono it would probably be a huge undertaking and I think Ziggy is using a 3rd party component. My guess is the few licenses that he would sell would not be worth all of the work.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#13]
Mono is not suitable for Jungle Ide as it uses quite a bit a P/Invoke calls to native windows APIs that do not have the corresponding implementation on .net That said, it's stated that latest crossover does have a good level of compatibility with .net 4 so it might be interesting to give it a try.

Corum(Posted 2013) [#14]
Interesting to know. I've got Parallels. It's nice, but an emulated OS demands for additional care, upgrades, antivirus and firewall stuff that I 'm happy to avoid by adopting Mac OS.
Crossover requires a 50€ license, while PlayonMac, founded on WINE, is free of charge.
I use it on regular basis, running even complex software such as Xilinx ISE, DesignSpark PCB, and several games and emulators, with a decent DirectX support, including some old game written with Blitz 3D.
I'm going to give it a try with Jungle IDE demo, though looking at current WINE progress, the .NET 4.0 compatibility level is still rated as "silver".

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#15]
the .NET 4.0 compatibility level is still rated as "silver".

AFAIK this is mostly caused by WPF not beig properly supported. Jungle Ide is based on WinForms so there's a chance it could work.

matt(Posted 2013) [#16]
Happy to see people using my TextMate and Sublime bundles.

If anything is missing, please let me know. Donations would speed up me finding the time to add new features. ;)

Corum(Posted 2013) [#17]
Oh well, I tried but...

Maybe have I just spotted a little bug? :-)

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#18]
Be sure to have the windows system fonts. It may be related as it seems to fail while creating the main form, and that can be a possible issue.

Corum(Posted 2013) [#19]
I'm going to install them.
Meanwhile please take a look at the following dump:

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#20]
@Corum: It seems .net 4 has not been installed on your PlayonMac? Are you sure you're not using an older version of .net? The dump has been created while JungleIde was trying to send me a bug report of the previous bug.

Corum(Posted 2013) [#21]
This is the way PlayonMac (and PlayonLinux too) installs core components:

I tried to reinstall both of them, but result didn't change. Sadly.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#22]
I supose the try was worth it. Maybe I'll have time for my own investigations tomorrow with my Mac. Haven't tested in a year or so if I can get any decent compatibility level. Will get back if I manage to even launch it or something

Corum(Posted 2013) [#23]
Going to run the latest try by making a fresh install of everything, including .NET 3.5 just before the 4.0.

If you embrace the task, will find useful to know the steps i did:

1) New virtual drive, running WINE 1.5.20;
2) From Configuration->Install Components->Internet Explorer 8;
3) Configuration->Install Components->Mono 2.8 (needed by .NET 4);
4) Configuration->Install Components->.NET 4.0;
5) Manual Installation of the Jungle Ide Lite setup;

Note: between each step I did a WINE restart (Configuration ->Windows restart).

Hope it helps. :)

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#24]
Why should Mono 2.8 be needed by .net 4? They're very different frameworks and I'm not sure it is a good idea to mix them.... ? I'll get back later with (hopefully) my testing results

Corum(Posted 2013) [#25]
It's expressly required by WINE, and is somewhat related to gtk handling needed by X11 to render the Winforms stuff. Don't ask me why. :)
It's a mess!
I'll try to avoid its installation, but I think I'll be requested again to install it.

Corum(Posted 2013) [#26]
I'll try to avoid its installation, but I think I'll be requested again to install it.

Ditto.

Even by installing .NET framework 2.0 and above, including every service pack up to 4.0, didn't lead to success.
I have to investigate about the WindowsXP service pack version provided by wine emulation, so to clarify further my doubts.

Last attempt will have place tonight, as soon as I'll be back home.
Gonna try with latest WINE alpha build before giving up definitely.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#27]
It may help if you set wine to emulate Windows NT instead of XP.

Corum(Posted 2013) [#28]
It may help if you set wine to emulate Windows NT instead of XP.

Nope, because NT and Windows 2000 don't support ie8, that's between Jungle Ide requirements.

Anyway, I tried with the latest version of WINE available for PlayonMac, and the errors are slightly different. Maybe .NET4.0 support is on the right way...

And this is the new (and the last, for me :) exception from Jungle Ide. On a side note you'd have received the bug reports this time. Something is slowly getting to work, but not right now.

Sorry, I did my best. :)

Corum(Posted 2013) [#29]
EHI!!! Wait a moment!!! :D

Corum(Posted 2013) [#30]
No way! I give up. :)

Too big for this board

This is the detailed exception dump:

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#31]
"The method or operation is not implemented": This sounds a lot like mono is being used instead of .net 4. Anyway, there's a chance. I'll keep my investiations. I'm surprised that the docking framework does work, so it looks like we can expect to be compatible sometime....

Some information:
1.- The fact that the docking panels are properly rendered means that most (all?) of the P/Invoke calls used from outside windowsforms are now implemented on wine. That's good news.

2.- The fact that the text renderer works means that GDI (and I don't mean .net GDI+) is implemented to the level we need in Wine. Jungle Ide does not use managed GDI+ for the text rendering. It uses direct GDI as it is hardware accelerated in all windows versions (since windows 98) and it is the fastest way to draw text unless you're using Windows 8. On Wine they're using OpenGL to implement the GDI apis, so it may be fast too.

3.- I expect to see all kind of issues regarding internal msg order and the system eventpool behaving different, anyway, that's much more tha what I was expecting.

EDIT: ScrollToCaret method is not implemented in Mono, but it is on .net 4, so it seems to definitively be a problem of JungleIde being run on mono instead of .net 4. Maybe I miss something

Corum(Posted 2013) [#32]
I simply changed the WINE emulation to "Windows 7", and made some tweaking with 2 libraries, that seemed to be not installed.
Now the problem is restricted to file operations. The dockable bars work as expected, and the windows too, until you actually try to move them. :D

Through WINE configuration, "Libraries" tab, you can specify the source of some important core libraries, such as riched20 and mscoree.
The default setting is "native". If WINE doesn't find a certain library, just config it as "native then integrated" and you're done.

Good luck! :)

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#33]
By the way, I'm properly getting the crash reports from your machine.

Corum(Posted 2013) [#34]
Yes, you're right: crash reports. :)
I'm sorry I wrongly defined them "bug reports", while your Ide is rock solid, and the whole blitz community knows it. :)

EDIT:
And I referred to panels as windows. My bad. :)
They seem to work, as you click to drag them elsewhere, all the possible destination spots show up, but just to disappear in less than a second, denying any chance to move and dock the panels out of the original place.
On a side note, it's actually possible to undock and move them around as independent windows.