How good is Monkey's update rate versus delta?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/How good is Monkey's update rate versus delta?

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#1]
So far I've just been using SetUpdate(60) for my Monkey games because I understand that if it fails to keep up with rendering it'll just drop a frame but keep the updates going right? (Although I don't know what happens if the updates are too slow and the CPU can't keep up with that...) I haven't actually tested what happens if things get too slow yet. Anyone done that?

Anyway, in BlitzMax I used a fixed rate logic with a delta time component (it was probably a bit overkill) and I know lots of people like to use delta timing with tweening. Is it still worth using something like this in Money and why? Thx!

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#2]
I do the same and use a fixed rate logic with delta timing. Delta timing has its flaws when it comes to physics...

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#3]

I don't know what happens if the updates are too slow and the CPU can't keep up with that...

The update code has a limit on the max dropped frames, which is seven in the code I have. So, if your game code is very slow you'll end up with a slide show showing every seventh frame at whatever rate is achievable.

I wrote a bunch of stuff about the update mechanism and the issues with delta timing a fair while back in this thread: http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1436 (in particular posts 26-28). I should probably get around to writing up a blog post about it sometime.

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#4]
Great thanks for this, I'll have a good read. I was obsessed with perfectly smooth movement in BlitzMax (was spoiled by my Amiga you see), and got it pretty good, but I'm not too bothered in Monkey especially as many times I'll be exporting as Flash anyway and Flash game players are used to crappy scrolling etc. Would be nice if it was smooth on phones though.