About visual studio

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/About visual studio

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi everyone :)

I would like to know if there is a way to make monkey work with visual studio 2012 ?

I reinstalled my PC and I forgot to install vs 2010 before 2012...

Thank you in advance ^^

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#2]
i don't know if this will work:

try loading up the base target project file under monkey/targets/glfw/vc2010/MonkeyGame and see if you can load that file up in VS2012 and re-save over (keep a backup handy) the old one.
essentially you would be converting the old VS project file format to the new one. make sure to delete old build folders afterwards.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#3]
There a project called JungleGUI which use Visual Studio like IDE with intellisense. You might be interested. http://www.jungleide.com/ its awesome!

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2013) [#4]
the problem is not the gui or IDE, but the transcode. Can't compil with VS2012 (GLFW) :(

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#5]
Why don't you install VS2010?? also, you can use MinGW for GLFW, there's a flag for this.

Anyway, get 2010 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2010-express

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2013) [#6]
I have MinGW :) I prefer because Microsoft advise to install first Vs 2010 and after vs 2012 to avoid conflict.

I use vs 2012 for some projects and the windows phone 8 SDK, but I forgot to install 2010 version before. On an another PC I had this problem and when I installed vs 2010 all my Ide didn't work anymore...

So, if I can avoid to install vs 2010 now that's cool. I have to check how to configure Monkey GWLF to make it work with MinGW. I believed that MinGW was only for STDCPP (command line utilities) ? I saw on the forum a flag to add in the config file mais it seems that monkey ignores it.

How do I have to setup to make monkey compil GWLF target with MinGW ?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#7]
did you try converting the MonkeyGame.sln file to VS2012?

you can use mingw by putting this at the top of your file:
#GLFW_USE_MINGW=True

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2013) [#8]
For the MonkeyGame.sln you mean one that is in the targets folder of Monkey ?

I'm going to try the flag.

dragon(Posted 2013) [#9]
last time i installed vs2010 + vs2012 (c#,c++,vb,phone) over 5 hours
with endless upgrade and patch orgy

tip: never install from ISO! use online installer

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2013) [#10]
The last time I try to install both, I had a lot of problem, I always use live installer. The fact is that my phone 8 SDK didn't work anymore and I have some trouble to compile c++ on vs 2012.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall but in the right way (2010 first and 2012 after) but that was too late...didn't work and I had to reinstall windows to make my 2012 projects work again.

I tried to convert the 2010 project in the "targets" folder to 2012 but that doesn't work.

That's why I try to make it work with MinGW :) I'm going to try to configure this and I will say to you if it works (with minGW).

Samah(Posted 2013) [#11]
That's pretty poor if you have to install an older version of a product before you can install the newer version. Is this VS 2012 marketed as a full product or an upgrade?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#12]
I tried to convert the 2010 project in the "targets" folder to 2012 but that doesn't work.

Ok, that is odd (also make sure to delete .build folder). I think Mr. Sibly may need to get involved in this one.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2013) [#13]
VS2010 will target WP7.5 and Xbox. VS2012 will target WP8 and W8.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#14]
They definitely will live side by side, but I don't think I have ever tried to install the older version later. I guess it is possible the older version could over write some dependencies that the newer version used.

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2013) [#15]
Thank you all for your answers ! Monkey works now with MinGW like a charm :)

Thank you !

For the dependencies with vs 2012 it's possible :) but if it works with MinGW that's perfect no? :p

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#16]
Is there any difference in game performance between VisualStudio and MinGW?

Because if MinGW would have no disadvantage, it would be much more comfortable to handle....

At the moment I only write my Android and HTML5 game with monkey. For Windows and Mac I still use the BlitzMax. Is there any difference in game performance between Monky and BlitzMax?