Good framework suggestion ?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Good framework suggestion ?

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello!

I am finally ready to start out the game client of my project. I would like to hear more about the several current framework available that you guys experienced here. I am looking for theses simple features.

- Objects manipulation (rotate, move, etc.)
- Cursors.
- Screen scrolling.
- On screen buttons.
- Game Screens
- Ability to go full screen (if possible)
- Particles.. effects.
- Maps support. (Big chance i use Tiled cause making a full level editor would take a lots of time and i would like to avoid making my own but i will see)

For the GUI i will be using "Challenger GUI 3" for now. I am currently improving it for my game requirements and getting a new skin done for it. Its simple and can be removed easily in case i need another GUI system.

Thanks a lots! :)

therevills(Posted 2013) [#2]
Diddy will do most of those features ;)

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#3]
One thing i really like about Diddy is the game screen management. It is really awesome! :)

Amon(Posted 2013) [#4]
Diddy is awesome! There's others, playniax and FantomEngine and they are equally awesome.

Spoilt for choice really! :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#5]
Hey therevills did you do anything different with Diddy screen management from GAF? Just wondering. I just made a screen manager in monkey that supports multiple screens open at once including modal ones which seems to simplify calling up dialogs compared to my original GAF. Also the screens can transition off/on simultaneously which allows for some cool stuff.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#6]
Therevills: Is screen transition supported in Diddy ?

therevills(Posted 2013) [#7]
did you do anything different with Diddy screen management from GAF

I simplified it quite a bit and added a few more user methods for pre/post stuff, but thats about it.

Is screen transition supported in Diddy ?

Yep, currently only fade to black and black to screen.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#8]
I use the fantomEngine and its very good.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#9]
I give diddy my vote as well is simplicity and effectiveness at its best I think, iv tried some of the others but they all feel a little more complicated than I think they need to be.

just my humble opinion tho best bet is to do what I did and try a few and find the one that works with your project best.

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#10]
I do feel modules and frameworks can get to complicated and that is why Ignition has 2 different approaches. On the one hand we have separate and simple modules like fonts, tiles, sprites, collision, highscores etc for less experienced programmers. And on the other there is the engine class (app state manager with advanced 2d capabilities) that combines them and is more for more complex games and experienced programmers. I think I can improve the engine a lot to make it more easy to handle for less experienced programmers. It's a goal I have for next updates.

@Rushino: I am Working on 'simple' screen transitions for next update ;)

http://playniax.com/demos/gz/html5/demo.html

Now I have fades, dropping screens, zooming and rotating as intro/outro.

It was already possible thanks to the playfield system but I get many requests to make this more easy ;)

therevills(Posted 2013) [#11]
On the one hand we have separate and simple modules....And on the other there is the engine class

Diddy is the same, you can use the modules mostly separate from the main game engine class.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#12]
Hey playniax i bought (finally) your framework. I decided to go that way along with diddy as complementary framework. I better not regret it ! Kidding ;-)

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#13]
Thanks! Any questions, ask me directly!

I think they complement eachother well.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#14]
Alright, Thanks ! :)