Ignition V1.5 now up!

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Ignition V1.5 now up!

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi,

Another small update.

* engine.monkey *

- Added cursorAlpha, cursorBlend, cursorRed, cursorGreen, cursorBlue to iGuiInput Class for setting the cursor color.
- Fixed the OnUpdate still running bug when layers are disabled.
- iLayerLine can now use an image for rendering. Creates smooth lines and can be used to create lasers for example.

* gfx.monkey *

- iDrawLine can now draw a line using an image.

* font.monkey *

- Font loader can now load 2 font formats. The 'old' one loads separate characters, the 'new' one can have all characters in 1 bitmap.
- Improved TTF font converter.

Milky Joe(Posted 2013) [#2]
Great timing! I'm about to buy it...

impixi(Posted 2013) [#3]
Bought a license a while ago, but I've only just started playing around with this framework: quite impressive!

Just curious, has anyone released anything based on it yet? Specifically for the iOS platform?

Milky Joe(Posted 2013) [#4]
The v1.5 download link on the order confirmation page doesn't work!

[edit} I managed to download it via the second link in the email I received.[/edit]

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#5]
I just received your order. You stil have problems to download? I am getting annoyed with share-it lately :(

Go to monkey.playniax.com and use the license key send to you to login.

Please, contact me by email if this doesn't not work.

frank(Posted 2013) [#6]
Share-it doesn't seem to work in Chrome/Mac OS X properly but managed to order anyway via Safari (as you know) :) Thanks for the support and I'll let you know what great stuff we'll make.

Thanks for making this and hope the GUI stuff will be done soon-ish :)

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#7]
Some device to input text would be awesome. Would buy it straight away.

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#8]
I have uploaded a box2d template for Ignition. For people who bought the framework you can download it here:

http://monkey.playniax.com/

You also need to download the box2d module from the website:

http://code.google.com/p/monkeybox2d/

Playniax does not support box2d in any way so use at own risk!!!

To see the demo:

http://playniax.com/share/demos/box2d/html5/MonkeyGame.html

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#9]
Working on 'simple' screen transitions for next update ;)

http://playniax.com/demos/gz/html5/demo.html

Now I have fades, dropping screens, zooming and rotating as intro/outro.

It was already possible thanks to the playfield system but I get many requests to make this more easy ;)

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#10]
Nice to know! Then you have one more request from me hehe I have to agree if it could be easier to do that would be awesome. I will wait your update before implementing this. Theses transitions would be of great help!

C10B(Posted 2013) [#11]
What is Ignition?
Where is Ignition?

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#12]
http://playniax.com/

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#13]
This might be an odd question, but I am surprised you are incrementing these with .1 numbers. I would consider these more like 1.41 and 1.42 type changes.

Minor I know, but I generally expect bigger changes with a .1 :)

C10B(Posted 2013) [#14]
Hi Planiax,
On another thread we are talking about using "heat maps" which look very similar to your collision maps as per this demo http://playniax.com/demos/collision/html5/demo.html
The question is about whether we can do GetPixel on an image that isn't rendered to the screen. I guess you must be doing something very similar? Here is the thread http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=4380
PS Ignition sounds pretty cool and I might well go and purchase it to see how it might help me in my app building. If you don't mind me saying so, there isn't really enough info on your website to help me make a purchasing decision, but it's not too much money so I'm happy to have a punt. Thanks.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#15]
Don't wanna complain. Hehe. But Why0Why is not wrong. :P

On a side note i really recommand this framework. Its really amazing..

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#16]
Thanks guys!

Pixel collision uses a little program that creates the data file that you can use in your monkey App. I did this before you could read pixel data from the canvas.

Maybe I continue at 1.10 after 1.9 then ;)

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#17]
I have put a small update v1.v5b at http://monkey.playniax.com

It fixes some button problems that slipped in earlier.

I have also split the engine tutorial in 2 parts. Beginner and advanced.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#18]
A better way to get keyboard input would be welcome too. XNA have some trouble to get correctly a keyboard input. I wonder if something can be done about it. I try to get the character @ (SHIFT+2).

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#19]
We are working on a very slick gui :) and the plan is to have a virtual keyboard.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#20]
@Playniax: I am happy to see that you guys working on getting a nice GUI done. :) I dunno what kind of GUI you guys are making (windowed, controls that render directly on screen or both) But be sure to offer the possibility to put the controls directly on screen too and not only in a windows form. :) The best of both world would be nice.

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#21]
There is a GUI layer, so I'm hopeful, like Rushino, that we can plop stuff down on it without a parent window control, etc...

I've been looking at MOAI lately (trying to find a system that's a little easier for us n00bs, or at least has more functionality/useful modules for n00bs), and their interface has some great (I should say, "easy to use") functionality. However, the very nice scrolling list view I found there, I recently found (at least similar functionality) in Ignition! That really made me leap for joy. :-)

Basically, I want a scrollable high score list.

Now we need to be able to pull fonts from TTF files, but I think Ignition has that as well (I think! Right?!). MORE LEAPING FOR JOY! By this I mean, I can do a call like

[monkeycode]
myFont = Fonts.load("arial.ttf", 12)
[/monkeycode]

or similar. (See here: http://getmoai.com/docs/class_m_o_a_i_font.html#a5d3dee4978355be600ed692224636904)

Anyway... Ignition has given me hope to carry on with monkey. Now I need a module for backend-as-a-service (see prior list of potentials) integration and we'll be set!

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#22]
I have never bought a Framework before but am considering purchasing this, and from what I have read and seen in the demos it looks the part to save re-inventing the wheel, especially when there are multiple targets and the extra headaches that ensues.

However a few questions...

Obviously you cannot support / update the Framework forever, but how far done with it are you, percentage-wise? Do you have a roadplan?

Do you plan to add new features to extend this Framework for your own games in the future (sort of a natural evolution like Grey Aliens old Framework) or is the Framework separate from your own projects (ie. it's work)

Is it well documented, and does it work with the F1 help in the editor?

Also re: the GUI stuff above...

Are you planning on allowing GUI controls to be used without the normal parent window, so we could ie. Layer GUI elements over the game screen for a UI?

I liked FryGUI for BlitzMax which let you attach gadgets to "panels" which allowed simple construction of screens / layouts etc, and had a "Table" gadget which allowed you to (obviously) display data in a table, access it by column/row, align it, highlight a cell/col/row, put images in the tables (avatar for high score etc) - it saved a load of hassle having all built in to an existing gadget.

Any chance things like this are a possibility for your Framework?

Of course if you are open to suggestions for additions and keep it updated for the latest Monkey (which is seems you do) then I think you will have a new customer later on tonight.

Keeping it updated with the latest Monkey is key for me, because the moment this stops happening then the Framework essentially becomes useless (depending what Mark has added / changed) and thus - so does whatever project I have spent x amount of time working on, and this is my biggest worry with other peoples Frameworks.

Great job anyway, from my tests your Framework is smoother than Diddy and FantomEngine when running the Tiled maps examples (all tested in Chrome, HTML5 Release - by no means extensively but GLFW stuttered too.)

Both of those have slight stutters when scrolling the map, yours is smooth as silk (apart from the tile collision error I posted in another thread, which you said is a bug in the demo, not the Framework).

Anyone else using Ignition at the moment, your thoughts so far?

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#23]
Obviously you cannot support / update the Framework forever, but how far done with it are you, percentage-wise? Do you have a roadplan?

Yes, we have a road plan. We are now concentrating on GUI stuff. Ignitions GUI now has labels, buttons, sliders, progress bars, image, scroll box, joystick, shapes and input. We keep improving these and adding stuff. We want a flexible and powerful GUI. Improving the docs is also a high priority. We get a lot of feedback and we will use it to improve the docs. Soon the docs will also be online with examples and demos.

Do you plan to add new features to extend this Framework for your own games in the future (sort of a natural evolution like Grey Aliens old Framework) or is the Framework separate from your own projects (ie. it's work)

Both, we are now working on 2 games and the framework is benefitting from this.

Is it well documented, and does it work with the F1 help in the editor?

It is well documented but we always feel it must improve. The examples and tutorials are very good but they assume you have a fair level of experience. We are going to spend more time on improving it for the beginner. It’s a matter of time. Always feel free to send me an email and explain framework related things. Not to teach you how to program! 
F1 unfortunately does not work because (yet?) because I am not aware how to support 3rd party documentation in the Monkey IDE. I should have a look at this or ask the community for help.

Are you planning on allowing GUI controls to be used without the normal parent window, so we could ie. Layer GUI elements over the game screen for a UI?

The parent window/playfield is not a big deal. What you ask is already kind of possible. You still need to setup the playfield but not attach it to the engine. I will add a better way for this soon.

I liked FryGUI for BlitzMax which let you attach gadgets to "panels" which allowed simple construction of screens / layouts etc, and had a "Table" gadget which allowed you to (obviously) display data in a table, access it by column/row, align it, highlight a cell/col/row, put images in the tables (avatar for high score etc) - it saved a load of hassle having all built in to an existing gadget.

In some ways It will have things in common. We are also moving away from some ‘traditional’ ways of setting up a GUI. Our system works best for us and we believe it will have a lot of advantages over existing ones. For now, the system is limited to games or apps but we want a fully functional desktop GUI.

Of course if you are open to suggestions for additions and keep it updated for the latest Monkey (which is seems you do) then I think you will have a new customer later on tonight.

Yes, we are open to suggestions. We do have a clear vision for the framework. The thing we are trying to avoid now is native stuff. This way we stay ‘safe’ from compatibility problems if there is such a thing. We will have a look at that later. Other people are doing this and we prefer ‘official’ stuff from Mark.

Keeping it updated with the latest Monkey is key for me, because the moment this stops happening then the Framework essentially becomes useless (depending what Mark has added / changed) and thus - so does whatever project I have spent x amount of time working on, and this is my biggest worry with other peoples Frameworks.

We keep updated yes. We are one of the few who charge money for our framework so we will do our best to guarantee updates.

Great job anyway, from my tests your Framework is smoother than Diddy and FantomEngine when running the Tiled maps examples (all tested in Chrome, HTML5 Release - by no means extensively but GLFW stuttered too.) Both of those have slight stutters when scrolling the map, yours is smooth as silk (apart from the tile collision error I posted in another thread, which you said is a bug in the demo, not the Framework).

Thanks! Smooth movement is extremely important to us though it also depends on the target platform.

Anyone else using Ignition at the moment

More than a hundred :)

Thanks guys!

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#24]
Yes, we have a road plan. We are now concentrating on GUI stuff. Ignitions GUI now has labels, buttons, sliders, progress bars, image, scroll box, joystick, shapes and input.

Sounds good, and I hope you could include the table/listbox gadget I mentioned in a future update, though I am sure I will have more suggestions when I purchase it. :)

It is well documented but we always feel it must improve. The examples and tutorials are very good but they assume you have a fair level of experience. We are going to spend more time on improving it for the beginner. It’s a matter of time. Always feel free to send me an email and explain framework related things. Not to teach you how to program! 

I'm not new to programming (far from an expert either!), but there is nothing worse than bad/non-existant documentation - that's the reason I asked.
There is no point in buying a Framework to save time, which you then waste again pulling your hair out because the docs are rubbish.

F1 unfortunately does not work because (yet?) because I am not aware how to support 3rd party documentation in the Monkey IDE. I should have a look at this or ask the community for help.

ziggy might know more about this as I remember reading some posts about the docs in JungleIDE, but yes it would be helpful as switching between windows in annoying at best.

In some ways It will have things in common. We are also moving away from some ‘traditional’ ways of setting up a GUI. Our system works best for us and we believe it will have a lot of advantages over existing ones. For now, the system is limited to games or apps but we want a fully functional desktop GUI.

Yeah sorry I did actually mean that a GUI should be more game-oriented, as in not look like a typical GUI with windows, status bars etc which all the current Monkey GUI libs seem to want to replicate.

I won't go over it again until I have purchased and seen whats available, but definately a non-standard looking GUI without any typical "windows" is the way to go for games/apps (imo) - see a pic of an (very) old FryGUI of mine here, as you can see its simple and clean, and the table gadget makes it so easy.

Yes, we are open to suggestions.

I'm sure I'll have many :)

We keep updated yes. We are one of the few who charge money for our framework so we will do our best to guarantee updates.

Good to know, and I can see you have updated it pretty regularly
More than a hundred :)

Congrats! - Any games (apart from your demos) made with it yet?

Thanks for the reply, appreciated. :)

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#25]
I really wish the docs would work in Jungle. I could be wrong, but I would expect that many(if not most) of the Ignition customers probably use Jungle. If you are serious enough to pay for a framework then you should be serious enough to pay for a good IDE.

Tony, would it be possible to get with Ziggy and look into the docs?

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#26]
You can drag the docs to the TED or Jungle IDE and use it. Just F1 does not work.

But I am going to contact Ziggy.

Also Mark to ask what is the best way to do this. I already did this in the past but Mark is a busy man understandably and the the doc system in monkey has changed a few times.

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#27]
Hi, I am trying to use the GUI Input/Cursor and it seems the cursor is not rendered if there is an image in the background?

Local textboxImage1:iGuiPicture = New iGuiPicture
		textboxImage1.AddLast (PAGE_CREATEPASS, playfield)
		textboxImage1.imagePointer = iContent.GetImage ("textbox.png")
		textboxImage1.Percentage (50, 18)

Local password1:iGuiInput = New iGuiInput
		password1.AddLast(PAGE_CREATEPASS, playfield)
		password1.bitmapFont = font28
		password1.red=0
		password1.green=0
		password1.blue=0
		password1.maxChar = 36										' Limit the number of characters.
		password1.cursorRed=0
		password1.cursorGreen=0
		password1.cursorBlue=255
		password1.Percentage(20,19)

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#28]
Hi, seems to work fine here. What version of Ignition are you using? Can you send me the project by email?

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#29]
I've just stumbled over a thread in which you posted some code which showed Box2D Templates working within Ignition - this isn't mentioned on the website and I had no idea about it until now!

Is this correct, that you can use Box2D physics within the Framework?

How integrated is it with the Framework (ie. with your Map Editor etc), as I assume you could just use the Box2D module by CopperCircle and Ignition together to get the same results, or does the Framework simplify the process in some way?

Thanks.

NiGa Soft(Posted 2013) [#30]
Hi,

it would be nice if Ignition would support "Tiled", i know that
Ignition has it's own mapeditor, but i think it's a "nice to have
feature". So it's e.g. possible to use maps in different
progamming languages.

If it's not so hard, please be so kind and implent it.

Thanks..

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#31]
@rIKmAN: Box2D is not integrated. I have made a template that includes Box2D. I did however modify one file so that it can work together with Ignitions virtual display/virtual mouse.

I am not a Box2D expert (yet?) but I think Ignition has enough functions to blend the 2 together. I will make more templates for other 3rd party modules to show how they can be used together.

There should be no problem mixing and using most 3rd party modules with igntion like Diddy etc. because Ignitions engine class that handles app states, 2d and GUI components for example has a lot in common with the monkey App class.

@NiGa Soft: When I have more time I will have a look at it but I have also plans to improve our own editor. As I understand Diddy supports it and I have not tested it but I think you can use most parts of Diddy with Ignition :) Another possibility I am looking at is to make a converter that converts tiled maps to Ignition maps.

We have some other nice things planned for you like a slik gui and some very nice templates.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#32]
@rIKmAN: Box2D is not integrated. I have made a template that includes Box2D. I did however modify one file so that it can work together with Ignitions virtual display/virtual mouse.

Ah I see. Have you wrapped Box2D yourself or is it using CopperCircles module?

...but I think you can use most parts of Diddy with Ignition :)

Why would I use Diddy as well as your Framework, what does it do that Ignition doesn't?

Another possibility I am looking at is to make a converter that converts tiled maps to Ignition maps.

Ahh - I wonder if this is why your tilemap demo doesn't stutter and Diddy/fantomEngine did in my tests - some magic in your map format or a flaw in the Tiled format?

I am not a Box2D expert (yet?) but I think Ignition has enough functions to blend the 2 together. I will make more templates for other 3rd party modules to show how they can be used together.

That would be great (I also like the "yet?" :)) as the demo ran way smoother than I expected it would, and more examples of using various modules with Ignition can only be a good thing.

Is this the approach you will take in future with the Framework rather than fully integrate/wrap them into Ignition itself?

Future Spine/Spriter support would be awesome! :)

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#33]
I think I am using muddy_shoes version for box2D.

I was just thinking that you can probably use the tile engine from Diddy to get Tiled maps working.

An about future stuff, yes I want to have a look in creating templates and converters instead of doing everything. No point to re-invent the wheel in most cases :)

NiGa Soft(Posted 2013) [#34]
Hi,

about your tile-editor, it would be nice to have:
a minimap - for a forecast view
a scaleable window
a mac port

The tiled -> ignition converter is a nice feature, i like this idea.
Is it possible for you to implent this on a relativ fast way?

But in the near future a direct import of tiled maps would be a very nice
feature.

"Use diddy for the tilemap" -> i want use only one plugin and this is ignition :-)

Have a nice evening...

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#35]

about your tile-editor, it would be nice to have:
a minimap - for a forecast view
a scaleable window
a mac port

The editor should work on the mac if you compile it with BlitzMax. I will put a binary in our download section soon. The other stuff will have to wait for now.

The tiled -> ignition converter is a nice feature, i like this idea.
Is it possible for you to implent this on a relativ fast way?

Not sure yet. I did start the work but abandon it because of other priorities.

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#36]
Maybe nice to know for the next update that it will be possible to use gui objects without setting up an engine or playfield so no parent window needed anymore.

Also if everything works out an orientation simulator that you can use to test your app when a device changes orientation and the screen transitions are finished.

Scroll box has swipe function to scroll content :)

And many more improvements!

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#37]
Tony, you need to test the scroll functionality on mobile phones. It acts funny sometimes for me on my Android.

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#38]
Yes, I was having the same problem but you have the 'not finished version' so in the next official update (in a few days) I hope the problem is solved.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#39]
Maybe nice to know for the next update that it will be possible to use gui objects without setting up an engine or playfield so no parent window needed anymore.

Also if everything works out an orientation simulator that you can use to test your app when a device changes orientation and the screen transitions are finished.

Scroll box has swipe function to scroll content :)

These additions sound awesome :)

The other stuff will have to wait for now.

but abandon it because of other priorities.

These not so awesome...

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#40]
I will have another go at it soon or some other solution :)

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#41]
Just got this, and although I won't have time to play with it properly for a day or two, what I have seen in the 15mins I've looked through it looks very impressive. :)

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#42]
Shall I give feedback / bugs / suggestions etc in this thread or do you have a forum on the Playniax website?

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#43]
If you want me to read them right away you can send me an email to contact@

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#44]
I emailed an example of the Cursor problem, did you receive it?

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#45]
Yes, I have send you an email. It was a bug and it is fixed for next update. Thanks!

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#46]
Hi,

V1.6 is out!

This update has some of the tutorials reconstructed. We have used your feedback and hopefully this improves the learning curve.

We will continue to improve the docs.

Also added an orientation 'simulator' (html5 and glfw) for testing purposes by pressing a key and more templates using the transitions module.

And:

* loader.monkey *

- Loader screen has improved and more and better examples of how to use it.

* engine.monkey *

- Gui objects can now be used without a parent window or engine setup.
- Added OnTurn () method: Is called when orientation changes.
- Added swipe to iGuiScrollbox

* loader.monkey *

- Added logo object for easy screen setup.

* gfx.monkey *

- Added iLandscape () And iPortrait () To get orientataion of the device.

Bye