Mini-update for v66 now available! [MONKEY NEWS]

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Mini-update for v66 now available! [MONKEY NEWS]

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi,

I've just uploaded a V66b 'mini update' that fixes a few issues in V66 that are IMO pretty critical:

* The Android v4.2 'vertex buffer' fix. This is a critical fix necessary to be able to run Monkey apps on Android 4.2 devices. You can apply this fix manually to pre-v66 versions of Monkey if you want - see bug reports forum.

* A fix for iOS 5.1.1 orientation woes. Turns out you can't use Interface Builder to connect up an app's 'rootViewController' - it has to be done programatically, or weird things happen in 5.1.1.

* A fix for images not discarding themselves quickly enough due to incremental GC. Also copied some of the new v67 GC in...

* A fix for the iOS GLFW bug that caused builds to fail in release mode.

* Changed the 'Base SDK' setting in iOS GLFW target to 'current', hopefully preventing the freaky '<stdlib.h> not found' style errors that keep popping up.

Note: This release does not include recent fixes to trans, Linux builds or indeed any new binaries. This stuff will remain in v67 which is what I'll be concentrating on from here on in.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#2]
Thanks Mark :)

Amon(Posted 2013) [#3]
Ta! :)

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#4]
Thanks Mark.

Soap(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thank you for mini-update!

anawiki(Posted 2013) [#6]
Thank you very much for this :)

Difference(Posted 2013) [#7]
A fix for images not discarding themselves quickly enough due to incremental GC.

Thank you! Hopefully I can retire my image discard methods now.

Snader(Posted 2013) [#8]
Nice!

Rus(Posted 2013) [#9]
Thanks Mark! Much appreciated!

Midimaster(Posted 2013) [#10]
I will test my Cheese Box again on 4.2 Android. The current version made with V66a did start, turned the orientation and ended. Without any error messages...

It is very helpful, that you care about the second to last version too. Thank you. We need something like a "stabil release".

Waldo Reed(Posted 2013) [#11]
Let me say, Thank You!

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#12]
much appreciated. V67 is a bit of a dramatic shift to change a big project to halfway-in, so it is nice to be able to have an officially-sanctioned version with the Android 4.2 fix in before the big leap.

DGuy(Posted 2013) [#13]
Thx Mark! :)

I too was hoping v66 would receive a little more love (I really wanna' let all the changes made in v67 solidify/stabilize before making the switch.)

NoOdle(Posted 2013) [#14]
you rock, totally awesome thank you!

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#15]
excellent, will give it a whirl with my current project :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#16]
Mark, what was the GLFW release mode fix please? Was it this? (GLFW: Release build trans failure but debug works)

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3965

Sledge(Posted 2013) [#17]
It didn't seem that way to me -- still had to manually re-fix GLFW release builds on OSX (I assume he means OSX). Also, with v66b, iOS stuff no longer builds and runs correctly on an actual device for me whereas it did (albeit with memory leaks if that's what was happening) with v66. That's after a cursory install of 66b, next chance I'll get to look at this will be weekend at the earliest.

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#18]
@Mark and @Sledge: I tested 66b on my Mac with the GLFW build. Both debug and release are fine now.

Also I tested iOS build in debug and release and both are fine!

Great work!

@Sledge I always fully delete the build folder. Do you?

Sledge(Posted 2013) [#19]
I DO forget (!) but I'm sure it was a fresh Monkey unzip, although it's perfectly possible that I'm mistaken as I've been simultaneously testing about seven different versions :)

I'm building on Snow Leopard for iOS 4.1+ (ie with XCode 4.2) so I think some problems are inevitably going to stem from that. It took a bit of faffing to get v66 builds going only for it to turn out that it leaks like crazy on iOS - infuriating! - so maybe I should just wait for 67x and look again then.

Really my situation is that I decided that I absolutely had to lock down a development environment this week and *get developing*, and I really wanted to get Monkey 'there' whereas PhoneGap is being blisteringly irritating by working perfectly and suiting the project in question. Bah!

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#20]
I'm using OSX Mountain Lion and XCode 4.5.2. Maybe that's why it worked OK?

Sledge(Posted 2013) [#21]
Very possibly. I've had to go with PhoneGap but once v67 gets a proper release I'll look at getting it going with XCode 4.2 -- it's pretty much the nearest thing iOS has to a stable, fixed development environment because you know that everyone using it can't upgrade any further! :D iMiniB3D didn't gel with the experimental v67 so that's another factor - I want to lock down a *stable* release of Monkey with which iMiniB3D works, and which will build with XCode 4.2. Will poke my nose back in shortly!

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#22]
Isn't at least Lion and the newest Xcode version a requirement to publish to the appstore anyway?

Sledge(Posted 2013) [#23]
That does sound very Apple.

Grey Alien(Posted 2013) [#24]
Yep I believe that's true which is why I updated recently to release Holiday Bonus GOLD.

Corum(Posted 2013) [#25]
Yes, latest XCode is a free development tool but, being forced to buy a newer Mac to stay up-to-date, it comes that the minimum "dongle" to let it work is the entry level Mac Mini, with a pricetag of 649€. Free tool my arse!!
I don't even like the latest releases of Mac OS.
That's the reason why an old Mac user like me is getting more and more pissed off from Apple's management.
I'd need to work on Snow Leopard with 4.2 XCode environment (my current and future setup), and I really hope that at least a Monkey will give a bit of love. :)

Kauffy(Posted 2013) [#26]
There's always http://www.macincloud.com/!!

Corum(Posted 2013) [#27]
Thank you. I was already aware of that service, and I will consider it if and when I'll get a decent game to be published for iOS, including the crappy 99$ fee.