What aspect ratio do YOU use?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/What aspect ratio do YOU use?

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2013) [#1]
So, I initially started writing a simple Flash game, but then thought it would be nice to port it to smartphones too, and, since there seems to be no standardization of smartphone resolutions these days, I'd be interested to know what sort of resolutions, or, more specifically, aspect ratios, some of you are using?

Post away! :)

dragon(Posted 2013) [#2]
1.777 to 1.333 is mainstream

see also
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3737#40184

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#3]
There's no single answer. I'd suggest that you just work backwards from your intended targets. For instance if the iPhone/iPod is your biggest target then use that as the base and then work out how you'll cope with variations from that.

The impression I get is that Apple device users are far less likely to accept something that is not designed for the native resolution than Android users.

Soap(Posted 2013) [#4]
4:3 with pretty texture blinds outside of the frame.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#5]
4:3?! :o That's iPad, right? On any device with 16:9 you will have quite some huge borders. I'd use at least 3:2 (iPhone).

C10B(Posted 2013) [#6]
I'm trying (and succeeding) to make my monkey app nice n stretchy so it caters for any device size, landscape or portrait, hi-res or low-res. It's really satisfying watching it fit perfectly on all devices.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#7]
Like C10B, I always try to make everything dynamic so that it works on any width.