Linux

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Linux

Nicholas Peanut(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi I found 2 posts about the subject
1 is about ted on the raspberry pi and another on GLFW for Linux.

let's get first things first:
I'd like to try and compile Ted for GNU linux (debian)
where to start ?
I might be chewing off to much in one go (I've only dabbed around a little in c++ and Linux)

since I don't see a make file I try
a rather naive

MonkeyPro66/src/ted$ gcc -Wall -o ted main.cpp

I get std.h:12:23: fatal error: QtGui/QtGui: No such file or directory

should I download that library myself?, is the path wrong?, Do I need to use BlitzMax ? Is this something that *just work* if it wasn't for linux ..
so many questionmarks .

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
Have a look at Monkey-Ext: http://code.google.com/p/monkey-ext/

Samah added Fabio's Linux stuff to it a while ago and it worked pretty well on Ubuntu (HTML5).

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/post.php?topic=3387&post=37019

Nicholas Peanut(Posted 2012) [#3]
I don't really understand what you mean, I've look at the source of the monkey-ext and I am trying to understand how this will help me, but I fail at understanding how.

the first problem I think I actually have is tis Qt thingie.

I found some resembling files under MonkeyPro66/bin and ../bin/Ted.app/Contents/Framworks/ blah but still .....

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#4]
Isn't Mark working on a Linux port?

maltic(Posted 2012) [#5]
I would love to see a Linux port. But in the mean time it should be possible to hack together a working Linux version.

As far as I can tell you need to download and install the libs for Qt (http://qt-project.org/downloads) and link them via your compile command.

Nicholas Peanut(Posted 2012) [#6]
yeah that's what it looks like.

I'll start hacking and reporting back this weekend.
If anybody has done this and cares to share the steps involved (and hardware/os/software requirements) I am all ears.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#7]
I can't remember the exact steps -- took me ages -- but you do need to install the QT dev libs (can't remember what they're called!), cd into Monkey\src\ted and run qmake ted.pro. (I think this generated a resource file, or the CPP code itself.)

I can't remember the next step, but this post by Mark mentions make release.

I had to figure it all out by myself so not sure if that's what I did, but if you run into trouble, have a look at the first paragraph here; note the duplicate targets folder that I think was causing my problem...

(I did it on the Raspberry Pi, but I assume it'll be the same on PC.)

Hope this at least points you in the general direction...

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#8]
Hi,

The next version of Monkey will include 32 bit Linux binaries for Monkey, Ted, MServer and Trans. With these, you can make/run html5 apps on Linux 'as is'.

To install dependencies for stdcpp/glfw development, try installing the 'QTCreator' package followed by libopenal-dev. This will install a bunch of compilers etc and should allow you to rebuild all the tools, create glfw apps and even rebuild Ted in QTCreator.

Note: Monkey dev-tools will only officially be supported on Ubuntu. Monkey will no doubt work on other platforms (I'm using it on Mint14 right now myself - nice!) but my primary concern will be to make sure it works on Ubuntu.

Nicholas Peanut(Posted 2012) [#9]
ok good to know, since next versions of Monkey come pretty quickly I'll perhaps save myself the headaches and sit on my hands. Or do some actual work on these freelance jobs I have lying on the shelve ;)

Or perhaps I can do something fun with my girlfriend this weekend

Thanks alot Mark

edit: Oh and thanks alot DruggedBunny for your steps, looks like I won't be trying it out though... thanks still

jondecker76(Posted 2012) [#10]
I've been anxiously awaiting the official Linux support myself!

Mark, will compiling to android and flash eventually be supported in Linux as well?

maltic(Posted 2012) [#11]
I am extremely excited for the official Linux target! Thanks Mark! I'd love to see GLFW become officially supported on Linux too. But it shouldn't be too difficult to get it working homebrew style.

EdzUp(Posted 2012) [#12]
i too am looking forwards to this new target, it will finally close the door on Blitzmax for me as Monkey can finally do almost everything that max can do