How is your dev environment setup on Mac OS?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/How is your dev environment setup on Mac OS?

Waldo Reed(Posted 2012) [#1]
I'm new to Mac OS and just got a macbook pro running mountain lion. I installed a 256GB SSD in the primary bay and will be putting the OEM 750GB hard drive in the optical bay when the caddy arrives. I've downloaded MonkeyPro66 and moved the directory to the root directory of the SSD. Is this a good location? I'll be looking into the possibility of shortcuts on the desktop and consideration to using the dock to launch Monkey and other dev tools. Your feedback is appreciated!

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#2]
I have Monkey sitting in my desktop and have a shortcut to Ted in my dock. Also I have the monkey folder added to the sidebar of the finder window. That is all.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hey,

Put your monkey folder somewhere in your user directory (you shouldn't put it in the root of the Macintosh HD)
Mine is in /Users/shinkiro1/Developer/monkey

If you haven't installed XCode: Download it from the appstore, then from the properties install the command line tools
Now you should be able to compile for stcpp, glfw, ios and html

Shortcuts are best kept in the dock. The desktop is more like your real desk, just keeping things you are working on currently.

I would highly recommend a texteditor like TextMate or Sublime Text 2. Both have plugins for monkey (search this forum). They just feel a lot snappier then Ted/Monk and also have much more features (+ a lot of plugins if you need them).

I use TextMate at the moment. You have the ability to create a project where you can specify a main-file that should be compiled (so you can work on another one and just compile without opening the main-file). Also code-completition is really helpful by just pressing the escape-key. And once you have mastered the shortcuts you won't need a mouse.

Also, I recently found a nice app that can fasten your workflow: http://www.alfredapp.com
Basically you just press Cmd+Space and a textfield will let you search for anything you like (Apps, files, google, search in files by typing 'in' before, etc.)

Hope that helps a bit.

Waldo Reed(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks fellas! I moved the monkey folder to /users/waldoreed/dev/ and added it to the sidebar under favorites. Alfredapp was installed to the applications folder thanks to its built-in install program. Installed xcode from app store then ran xcode.app. It did some device update and then goes to the Welcome menu. I do not know where to find properties to install command line tools.

I downloaded Tiled (tile map editor) but lacking an install I made a directory on the desktop called Tiled and copied its files from the mounted image file. I then moved the directory to my dev folder. I dragged Tiled.app to the applications folder and it moved the file. When I dragged Tile.app back to the Tiled folder it would create a shortcut. Deleted the shortcut then holding down command I dragged Tile.app back to the Tiled folder. I guess I'll keep Tile.app in the Tiled directory and create a shortcut for it in the dock.

May get around to checking out those text editors.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#5]
What I don't like so far about all these text editors on OSX is that they don't provide a visible function/method listbox. Mostly only a dropdown box. That is why I stay with TED. What I am missing in TED now, which I thought was great in Monk, is that the function list is not sortable and it doesn't display the method/function parameters. When you overload them, you see only several entries with the same name. Not a big problem but I wish it would display them.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#6]
I agree. At the moment only classes and functions are shown. Btw, in TextMate you can press Cmd+Shift+T to get an overview of your classes and functions, but not methods.
The blitzmax bundle provides this functionality so maybe we can implement that for monkey too.

An alternative way to do this for now is to press Cmd+Alt+0.
This will Fold/Unfold all 'blocks'. And you can then just unfold your class and see all the methods it has.

Installing an app in Mac OS is basically dragging the app file in the apps folder (like you did).
When you mount an image you should drag the app that is inside to the app-folder (just the app file, nothing else). Then unmount the image (drag the mounted image to the trash).
For shortcuts: Drag your app from the app-folder to the dock.

Waldo Reed(Posted 2012) [#7]
Does Monkey have methods; I thought only functions were used instead?

Thanks for explaining how installations work! I'm confused by the other files and Examples directory that come with the Tiled.app file. Dragging Tiled.app to the applications folder does just that but nothing is done with the rest of the files. Wanting to keep the files and the Examples directory I have the Tiled directory I made in my DEV folder. And when I create something in Tiled I will save it to the Tiled directory I made. Unless you suggest otherwise. I'm use to PC installations that create their own directories and populate them with files the program needs. So far MAC OS apps seem to be self-contained in their own .app file.