Game State Management?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Game State Management?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#1]
Any thoughts on managing game state, eg. switching between title, options screen and the game itself? In my first largish app I have two case statements, one in Update() and the other in Render(), which each determine which state the program is currently in and then execute the correct function. I would like to possibly avoid doing it this way, maybe by creating a state class and having several different ones.

I've read about people doing this with a stack of states. Anyone experienced with that?

Raz(Posted 2012) [#2]
I do this with the following (better solutions probably out there).

I have a ScreenManager Class
[monkeycode]Class ScreenManager
Global ActiveScreen:Screen
Global Screens:StringMap<Screen>

Function Init:Void()
Screens = New StringMap<Screen>
End

Function Add:Void(tName:String, tScreen:Screen)
Screens.Set(tName,tScreen)
End

Function Update:Void()
If ActiveScreen <> Null
ActiveScreen.Update()
End
End

Function Render:Void()
If ActiveScreen <> Null
ActiveScreen.RendeR()
End
End

Function SetScreen:Void(tName:String)
ActiveScreen.OnEnd()
ActiveScreen = Screens.Get(tName)
ActiveScreen.OnStart()
End

End[/monkeycode]

and I have a screen class
[monkeycode]
Class Screen
Method OnStart:Void()

End

Method OnEnd:Void()

End

Method Update:Void()

End

Method Render:Void()

End

End[/monkeycode]

and for each screen in the app I just create an extended instance of Screen

[monkeycode]Class OptionsScreen Extends Screen

End[/monkeycode]

and I just overload the standard screen methods as required.

In OnCreate() I do the following to add screens to the manager

[monkeycode]
ScreenManager.Init()

ScreenManager.Add("game",New GameScreen())
ScreenManager.Add("logo",New LogoScreen())
ScreenManager.Add("options", New OptionsScreen())

' Make the logo the first shown screen
ScreenManager.Set("logo")
[/monkeycode]

and in the main OnUpdate() and OnRender() methods I just have
ScreenManager.Update() and ScreenManager.Render()

from within each screen just call ScreenManager.Set("screenname") to change the screen.

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#3]
I use polymorphism for the state machine and instead of using select/case I use NextState.
each object assign the nextState based on the conditions met. it's a simple function that assigns
the next state to the current state. each object such as menu, game, settings etc. extends from the GameState Class.

similar to Raz.

DGuy(Posted 2012) [#4]
Each of my first three apps were basically one large state machine, which was a pain to maintain/enhance because everything was so inter-related.

For my last app I implemented a Layer, Scene, SceneStack & Director system.

Layers are added to Scenes, Scenes are pushed/popped (via the Director) to/from the SceneStack. The Director routes events/input to the Scenes on the SceneStack, and the Scenes pass the events/input onto their Layers.

MUCH easier system to work with.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#5]
A lot depends on the complexity of your app.

for a simple app I would have (typically) three about states for the main window (e.g. title, normal play, main menu), and then the main menu would have its own sub-states / sub-menus, which the main window need not care about.

There are typically other state elements during normal play, e.g. something is animating, or a level is starting. I may use state machines or booleans for those.

So basically, nested state machines is my usual approach.

wiebow(Posted 2012) [#6]
I am using a state based game framework.

It's still in development, but you can check out the code here to maybe get some ideas:

http://code.google.com/p/mutated-monkey/source/browse/#hg%2Fwdw%2Fframework%253Fstate%253Dclosed

Basically, engine, game and state are separated. The engine runs the game, the game runs and controls states.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#7]
I actually used Raz's method. I'll be putting some other things in there like programmable fades and wipes between scenes but other than that it has most everything I want. Interesting how you see this concept of decoupling all over the place and how many benefits it offers.