Hello All & Newbie Questions

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Hello All & Newbie Questions

andyboy_uk(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all,

Finally took the plunge and added Monkey to my collection of products from BRL as I have a couple of things I would like to try out across several platforms.

hello to all the old-timers who are still here :-) I remember a few names from the old blitzbasic days (who remembers blitz radio?)

Anyways, here comes my first couple of obligatory newb question:-

1. Ive installed Monkey on my machine and have a hello world app running in Windows which is a great start. I want to do some networking tests using TCP and see references to a BRL module listed all over the forums but cant seem to see it on my machine. I looked in the module repository and it wasnt there either. Is it publically available? If so how do I get/download/install it?

2. Is there any updated documentation I can get hold of, the stuff in the download is V60 and it seems that we are now 6 releases ahead of that? If it is done via Wiki, is it something that we can all contribute to over time or is it managed by BRL.

Thanks all and hope to be chatting with you all soon. I will also lurk a bit on the IRC channel as it used to be quite busy back in the day.

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#2]
I'm not an old-timer but welcome!
Do you have the latest version (V66)?

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#3]
Even in version V66 the docs say V60.

Welcome to the forum.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#4]
Best place to check your current version is in MonkeyPro/versions.txt -- the latest can be found in your account page (see top-right) when logged in, under Product Updates.

You can only really do TCP client stuff as it stands, like so:

Local stream:TcpStream = New TcpStream

If stream.Connect (ip$, port)

stream.WriteLine "Hello TCP!"

stream.Close

Endif

There's also an AsyncTcpStream but I haven't played with that yet.

dragon(Posted 2012) [#5]
this is cunfusing but in docs are all new classes available

andyboy_uk(Posted 2012) [#6]
Hi All,

THanks for the warm welcome. Yes I have the latest version (V66) and am raring to go. The docs say V60 and I cant find any reference to TCP Stream in there but maybe im not looking properly.

I also checked the Wiki with no joy.

@DruggedBunny: Im going to have a go at using your code snippet to get me on my way and see how I get on. Also I recognise your name and "death to the pixies" from the days of blitz yore, did you have a different nick back then?

Id be more than happy to help update the Wiki documentation as and when I get time (and build up my Monkey knowledge) if it would help.

Cheers,
A

andyboy_uk(Posted 2012) [#7]
Just tried it, getting a "Type TcpStream" not found. Im missing an import here.

I tried importing all the things I can see under the modules directory in my monkey directory but still no joy.

Any advice more than welcome?

Regards
A

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#8]
Import Brl should be the important part for streams i think. Look if Mark had placed an example inside the bananas/mak folder. I am not at my computer atm, so can not check it myself.

andyboy_uk(Posted 2012) [#9]
Ive tried "Import Brl" and "Import brl" but I get module not found error on those lines. I dont seem to have a directory for BRL in the modules directory (see original post). Do I have to download it from somewhere to install it?

A

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#10]
Andy: see first line of my post! :P

(I was/am BlitzSupport, BTW.)

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#11]
If you want to test on PC with a 'dumb' server, download the zip file in this post, run the server executable (ignore everything else), then run this code from GLFW or STDCPP -- the server defaults to listening on port 8088:

andyboy_uk(Posted 2012) [#12]
I thought I recognised the signature :-) good to be back in touch.

So how thick do I feel! When I purchased Monkey I was sent a link to 63b rather than the latest version.. It has been staring me in the face all this time on the folder name but ive just not registered until re-reading your post again.

Anyways, it is now at least not complaining about the networking stuff, but I am having a few issues compiling to GLFW but I think that is because I only have VS2012 on my machine. Ive seen a few posts on the forum already so will check there before I hassle anyone any further although it was compiling with 63b so its probably something fairly straightforward to sort out.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will no doubt be back asking more dumb questions here soon ;-)