Objecty alpha demo available!

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Objecty alpha demo available!

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey all,

I have just released a demo for Objecty and we have massively updated our project video to take onboard comments and ideas suggested.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/139lxy/alpha_demo_of_objecty_for_download_create/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skn3/objecty-2d-game-development-made-easier

Demo is available from here http://www.objecty.co.uk

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
How long does it normally take to launch from the exe?

Its been over 2 minutes and using 100% of one CPU and 400MB (and increasing), but no GUI is showing...

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hmmm that's a bit odd! It is usually instant. What version of windows are you using?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
Windows 7 32bit.

Just tried running it as admin (as this is a limited account) and that launched the exe fine, but when I selected DirectX9, clicked Test Graphics Render and clicked yes I got a EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.

OpenGL and DirectX7 seems to work okay...

Origaming(Posted 2012) [#5]
hi, i try your skeletal animation, bit laggy i think
suggest :
- key frame copy
- ctrl z
- timeline length(how to edit timeline length ?)

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#6]
Windows 7 32bit.

Just tried running it as admin (as this is a limited account) and that launched the exe fine, but when I selected DirectX9, clicked Test Graphics Render and clicked yes I got a EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.

OpenGL and DirectX7 seems to work okay...

I set opengl as default for now and removed anything that was writting to the local directory (causing limited account hang). Demo is updated to reflect this.

hi, i try your skeletal animation, bit laggy i think
suggest :
- key frame copy
- ctrl z
- timeline length(how to edit timeline length ?)

Currently this is just an alpha demo and in debug mode so things will be a bit sluggish and some features are not coded yet, its mainly to give users an idea of what Objecty is. We will definitely have key copying, keyboard shortcuts and the ability to tweak both animation length and playback frame rate :D

Raz(Posted 2012) [#7]
Skn, really hope the demo/video creates some more interest in this :)

To be critical for a moment though (and I feel bad because the tone is worse than intended), I really think the kickstarter campaign needs to have an example of a game that utilizes Objecty code. Kind of like a "So when we put all of these great features together, the finished product is... ...which is playable here!" (link to HTML5 example).

The parts I think need definitive running examples (or footage of a running example) are...

A world created with the world editor being played from within a game.
A game character that uses an animation created with the animation editor being shown within a game.
And again, an example of a collision polygon defined in the physics editor being used in game.

I think having these would help give those who are not currently sure how it would be used but are interested, an idea of what to expect.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#8]
Hey raz, cheers I hope it does pickup too. There hasn't been much support in the last week simply because I was going flat out to get the demo done and there were literally no more hours i could work in the day to promote things.. It took slightly longer then I thought by about 4 -5 days as well.. doh!

No worries about being critical, its definitely a good idea. I will see if I can get something knocked up over the weekend but tbh there are no engine parts to Objecty yet so it would be just a "mockup" if you like. Do you think people would see through that?

Raz(Posted 2012) [#9]
Regarding the mock up, I dunno man, I wouldn't like to say! I was thinking something like you tweaking an animation and then having it show in game (like make change in Object, go over to Monkey, build the application, browser shows new animation)

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#10]
Ok Np, cheers for the suggestion btw. I will definitely have a ponder about this tomorrow and see how feasible it would be in the timeframe.

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#11]
It looks cool and the info video is very entertaining and has high production value. I don't know what your competition is like for established products in the field but the target money seems kind of high for a niche market (?). You don't have to defend it I'm just seeing a lot of kickstarters in game development software not getting even close to their kickstarter targets. :(

Just to confirm, you are providing a tool which (among other things) makes it easy to procedurally animate characters in a game from bits of sprites? Something like this?
NoOdle App

I'm definitely interested in this but I need to be farther along in Monkey and/or the product needs to be farther along (i.e. proven integration with Monkey) for me to commit. I wish you all the best and I will try the demo to see what is what so far.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#12]
Hey,

Yeah it's starting to look a bit high amount to reach but going into it it seemed viable. I continue to plug on. Got a feature in develop magazine coming and local news paper feature. All good fun :)

So yeah it's selling point is that you can produce procedurally animated characters. Exactly like the link you provided.

I will be trying to get an integration demo done this week to show its potential more. :)

Nobuyuki(Posted 2012) [#13]
So far, so good. I'll be waiting for a later beta to test the demo of this, but I like what I see! I hope the hooks for your rigging API are just as easy to use and useful as your tween class for monkey. Too many monkey libs try to do too much at once and don't have good modularity, end up being engine frameworks, etc. This looks super useful (and more importantly, flexible) for simple needs.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#14]
Thanks nobu, it's satisfying when someone "gets it" :))

AndroidAndy(Posted 2012) [#15]
@Skn3 - Would be interested in supporting your project and using Objecty. Do you expect your sprite creation component of the tool to exceed what brashmonkey is doing with Spriter? I know there are ambitious plans for Objecty for a full 1.0 release but how soon would you expect Objecty to be usable as just a sprite animation tool? Of course as a Monkey developer, Monkey support would be a high priority, where does Monkey support fit in for you?

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#16]
Well Monkey has a high priority for me because I use it a lot. If you have noticed Objecty wont be hitting the kickstarter goal soon so regrettably I am having to re-evaluate the project plan. It sucks to have to do it but it really looks like I'm going to have to put a public release on hold until I have more money and time to put back into development!

To answer your question directly, I would definitely look to improve on what existing tools are doing. Objecty currently in an early alpha stage offers most of what spriter offers and more! One of the major areas that needs work is improvement of the UI for animation as currently it is quite stark and not obvious as to what features are available. For example you are able to swap out bone images, but you access this from the propertygrid on the left (not very intuitive). This was all planned as part of development after kickstater.. but...

It sux and thanks to everyone for the massive support in where it got to. Based on the numbers and balancing the need to keep the business bringing in money, I will have to postpone any release.. BOO! :(

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#17]
Hey Skn3,

sorry to hear it didn't work out with kickstarter.
I haven't backed it yet because I don't have a credit card and PayPal is not an option on kickstarter.

What if you let users to preorder the app and those that do, get access to alpha builds?
Overgrowth does this too, it has been in alpha for years (http://www.wolfire.com)

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#18]
dont give up!
I use the technique of animating characters that is used in Objecty so I would like a copy, hopefully many other people want it too.

One thing that may give it more interest is to make a written or video tutorial for setting up a character.

Actually when Mr Josh Leadwerks posts a tutorial video it does get ones enthusiasm levels up.

AndroidAndy(Posted 2012) [#19]
@Skn3 - I was thinking you would get some last minute backers sort of like an eBay auction, but looks like you are bit too far away from your goal. I like Shinkiro1's idea of offering a preorder with access to alpha builds. I would rather support your project in this way and get some use out of the sprite animation. It would be all the better if you could compete or exceed what is available with Spriter. Keep us posted here in Monkey land about your decisions. Cheers!

devolonter(Posted 2012) [#20]
@Skn3 it's very sad :( How about to start a compaign on Indiegogo - http://www.indiegogo.com/ ? There you can get money even if you do not reach your goal

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#21]
Hey there,

cheers for all the support guys! It is pretty soul destroying to have to make a decision to hold it... but I need to think of the £££ a bit. I had thought about preorders but I need to look at the response I have had and that has been most people clearly need to have Objecty further along then it is to buy into it. People already have alternatives to Objecty so unless I can let a user test it in their engine today, then I miss a sale. I could potentially burn through all the initial pre order cash and then back to square one needing another boost. Its a difficult situation and the only decision I feel to be right is to make the hard one to put it on hold until there is more spare money in my company.

I still have a feature in developer magazine coming next week but unfortunately a week or 2 late. damnit! I am not sure what success rate it will have but it will at least be interesting now after the campaign finishes, to see how many extra visitors will show up on the project page.

Oh the campaign originally was gonna be on indiegogo but then they announced the UK Kickstarter launch. To be honest kickstarter is a massive gamble and unless I had a mainstream/consumer style product I would not risk crowdfunding. There are better less stressful ways to make money.