Extremely Unhappy With Monkey

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Extremely Unhappy With Monkey

maltic(Posted 2012) [#1]
I have to say I think I wasted my money buying Monkey. So far I can't get a single target to work. At all.

GLFW gives this error:
LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt [C:\Users\Max\Desktop\SVN\root\MonekyTile\TileTest\main.build\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj]

HTML5 games won't run and crash with this message:
CFG_OPENGL_GLES20_ENABLED not defined.

Android games build fine but won't run on ANY android device I've tried (I posted in the Android subforum if you want the full details).

I am aware Monkey is a work in progress. But I honestly can't believe this. NOTHING WORKS. I'm going to have to get in there and fix all these errors and problems myself, what a frustrating waste of my time. One would expect that at least one target would work out of the box. I have to say I am extremely disappointed with Monkey, after being quite satisfied with Blitzmax. Any help would be appreciated.

Before anyone asks: I am using Jungle IDE, v66 of Monkey and my graphics card's drivers are updated to the latest version. I am on Windows 7.

All targets working! Thanks for the help/justified virtual slaps everyone!

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2012) [#2]
I am aware Monkey is a work in progress. But I honestly can't believe this. NOTHING WORKS. I'm going to have to get in there and fix all these errors and problems myself, what a frustrating waste of my time.

I never had any of these errors and ALL targets including the newish PS Vita work just fine for me. So I wouldn't spout out that nothing works. 'Cause it's working for most people. So calm down.

Have you tried deleting your .build folder from Monkey's output? There's been a fairly recent change regarding the preprocessor directives and deleting your .build folder may fix it.

maltic(Posted 2012) [#3]
Yes I have tried that. Its also did a clean install of Monkey and a fresh project.

So I wouldn't spout out that nothing works. 'Cause it's working for most people. So calm down.

Excuse me but I would prefer not to be pigeon-holed under histrionic. I am glad to hear you are having a good experience with Monkey, and that other people are too, but that doesn't help me in the least. I am not saying that nothing works in general, I am complaining about the undeniable fact that nothing works for ME thus far. Obviously you can see how that is frustrating given I spent money on Monkey.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#4]
@maltic: Wow what a statement! I can't believe I wasted several months writing a book about Monkey and it simply isn't working. Mark fooled us all. :-)))
Jokes aside, actually it is hard to help you with this much information you gave. What samples/modules did you try to run? Did you try to use MiniB3D? If you have problems with 3rd party modules, then you might need to contact their creators. Which version of Visual Studio do you have installed. Which version of GLFW?
Regarding HTML5, it runs very well on all browsers if you have the newest versions installed. For other platforms you need to install the correct tools and SDK. Plus link them correctly inside the config file of your platform. Again, calm down, there are hundreds of users who have no problems with Monkey.
I am running Monkey on OSX and there it is very a smooth experience. On windows it might be a little bit more work to get all the platforms running, but I think the amjority of users use Windows. So it should be doable.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#5]
Obviously you can see how that is frustrating given I spent money on Monkey

Did you try the demo before? At least HTML5 you could have tested there.

maltic(Posted 2012) [#6]
Again, like I said I am not claiming that Monkey doesn't work in general. Just that it isn't working at all for me thus far. I wish people would actually read what I post instead of projecting the 'angry noob' mentality onto it.

I am using no modules at all. As I said its a fresh install. So no MiniB3d etc. I have visual studio 2012 and 2010 installed, all the links in the config file are for 2010 however. My understanding was that I don't need to 'install' GLFW since Monkey statically links it during compilation. I am using the latest version of Chrome, I have verified that other Monkey apps run fine in it (the demos on this website).

EDIT:
Yes, I tried the demo, it works fine. Its based on v63 though, so I assume something funky is happening with the latest version. I might try downloading an older version of Monkey and see if it works.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2012) [#7]
Again, like I said I am not claiming that Monkey doesn't work in general. Just that it isn't working at all for me thus far. I wish people would actually read what I post instead of projecting the 'angry noob' mentality onto it.

Well, can you blame us? I spent $3k on a Mac that refuses to update. I don't go around yelling that they're a load of crap though. What I was trying to say earlier was to calm down and work though it calmly. Nothing gets solved if you're frustrated or angry.

Have you tried any earlier versions of Monkey, like v64 before some big changes were made and have you tried this on any other computers or VMs?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#8]
But I honestly can't believe this. NOTHING WORKS. I'm going to have to get in there and fix all these errors and problems myself, what a frustrating waste of my time. One would expect that at least one target would work out of the box.

Equals:
'angry noob'

maltic(Posted 2012) [#9]
Well, can you blame us? I spent $3k on a Mac that refuses to update. I don't go around yelling that they're a load of crap though. What I was trying to say earlier was to calm down and work though it calmly. Nothing gets solved if you're frustrated.

Have you tried any earlier versions of Monkey, like v64 before some big changes were made and have you tried this on any other computers or VMs?

I'm not calling Monkey a 'piece of crap' I am saying its not working for me. Please don't paint me as unreasonable. Obviously I am in the process of trying to work through these issues or I wouldn't bother asking for help.

I just tried 63b. It seems to work fine for HTML5, but not GLFW or Android. I am still getting the same problems on them. I haven't tried on any other computers as the only other computers I have are all running Linux--I keep a Windows machine for the sake of running particular applications, other than that I am somewhat of a Linux fanboy and hope to port the GLFW build of my Monkey projects to Linux in future!

Equals:
'angry noob'

Thanks for that monumentally unhelpful post. I don't see how my comment makes me a noob, or even angry. I am clearly a frustrated user looking for help and wanting to let people know that Monkey doesn't seem to work as advertised out of the box for me. Do you have any advice? Or are you here just to quote me out of context and snipe?

EDIT:
I noticed you maintain a 'MonkeyMax' target: does it work well for porting monkey games to Linux via the Blitzmax compiler? I would be very interested in it if so.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#10]

LOL, so you didn't write this?

So far I can't get a single target to work. At all.

HTML5 games won't run and crash with this message:

Or this?

I am aware Monkey is a work in progress. But I honestly can't believe this. NOTHING WORKS

So please excuse me, but what I read there was that NOTHING WORKS for you. There were some recent updates to GLFW (not by Monkey but the GLFW folks). That is why I ask which version you are running regarding GLFW.

Personally I just tested Monkey V66 in HTML5 here on a windows machine with the latest Chrome. Works right out of the box. Sorry that it isn't working for you. You should post a bug report then.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#11]
Ok, let's start with the easiest, HTML5.

What browser do you use? Do you always get this CFG_OPENGL_GLES20_ENABLED not defined message? That's strange because it sounds more like a WebGL issue but not this classic 2d stuff which is in use normally.

Have you made a clean install of Monkey v66? Cleared all build directories. Does any of the examples run?

maltic(Posted 2012) [#12]
@MikeHart
Notice that I always say phrases like "So far I can't get a single target to work. At all." Emphasizing the fact that's its just me who seems to be having this problem. I have a high regard for Mark and his products, I am just very unhappy with my Monkey experience thus far. I am sure it works well for most people, I seem to just be getting unlucky--that doesn't mean its not extremely frustrating and disillusioning. In fact it makes it even more so--especially when people think I am being a jerk instead of helping me.

Should I try updating the GLFW version Monkey is using then?

@Xaron
Thanks for the response. It was a clean install. No build directories. I am using Chrome. I always get it when I try to build anything with Monkey. The demos on this website work fine. Weirdly everything is hunky dory in 63b.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#13]
That's totally strange. Could you please post your computer specs?

edit: Oh well you did, sorry... Strange...

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2012) [#14]
Regarding the GLFW error, it might have something to do with the fact that you installed VS2012 or at least these posts on Stack Overflow seem to suggest it: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10888391/link-fatal-error-lnk1123-failure-during-conversion-to-coff-file-invalid-or-c

Raz(Posted 2012) [#15]
Regarding the GLFW error

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10888391/link-fatal-error-lnk1123-failure-during-conversion-to-coff-file-invalid-or-c

install VC2010 SP1? Edit: Haha, just beaten to it!

Regarding HTML5 error

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3763

Either of those help?

maltic(Posted 2012) [#16]
Thanks raz and Goodlookinguy, both your suggestions worked! I am grateful and excited to start trying out Monkey.

To get GLFW to work I booted the GLFW project in VS 2012, converted it to a 2012 project and compiled it. It ran fine. Also installing SP1 seemed to fix Trans.

The post on HTML5 helped, I looked at mojo and changed it to true. Works fine now!

Does anyone have any ideas re android?

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#17]
Calm down guys lol he just got some problems.. there might be a simple explanation. I confirm too i never had any of theses errors except some build error with VS C++ build which seem to be resolved anyway i am not using GLWF anymore. But about android...

1- BE sure youve got the Android API SDK installed at least version 13 of the API.
2- BE sure you installed the USB driver too.
3- BE sure youve installed Java JRE.
4- BE sure you have installed ANT

Then try again. :) It must be something related to the android build setup.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#18]
Oh and be sure to install the 32 bit version of Java!

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#19]
Yeah true.. 32bit version of Java not 64bit. Also, forget the android at least version 13 i don't think its revelent cause that depend on the device you want to put it on and features you want.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#20]
In my experience the later versions of Java work more reliably on the emulator, so you may be better to try 3.1 initially even if your target will be 2.3.3

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#21]
I think this thread is a good lesson in how not to ask for help, a lot of this could have been offered up a lot faster if the OP had just took a deep breath before posting.

glad things are being worked out tho, just goes to show how good this community really is.

TeaBoy(Posted 2012) [#22]
maltic,

It's unfortunate that you had a few problems getting Monkey to work, anything worth doing is a little tricky ;o)

don't take any negative comment to heart, it's just 'banter' ;o) it's cool you have choosen Monkey, I look forward to seeing your creations and learning from you!

and for the rest of you, stop Monkeying around!

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#23]
:-)

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#24]
maltic,

One day, when you are monkey fanboy too, you will understand why we acted the way we did ...

maltic(Posted 2012) [#25]
I've already been a Blitzbasic fan, I'm sure Monkey will grow on me once I get it too work! It certainly has a great community supporting it.

OK so I tried completely redoing the android setup. I uninstalled and reinstalled the SDK, java and ANT. I also redid the config file for Trans. Now I am getting a rather weird problem in which the compiler gets stuck on this line and never completes:
"[apkbuilder] Creating MonkeyGame-debug-unaligned.apk and signing it with a debug key..."

This is the error I first got when I originally tried installing and using Monkey a little while ago (haven't use it again till now).

:S

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#26]
my first time with monkey was awful. took forever to get the targets working.

CFG_OPENGL_GLES20_ENABLED

this is a problem that i've been encountering in odd places with V66 as well.
I think i placed a bug report on it.

"[apkbuilder] Creating MonkeyGame-debug-unaligned.apk and signing it with a debug key..."

http://developer.android.com/tools/publishing/app-signing.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2194808/debug-certificate-expired-error-in-eclipse-android-plugins

ANT should generate a key automatically for you...
if there's problems, it may not have access to your default user folder (admin access maybe?).

maltic(Posted 2012) [#27]
@Adam
Ugh all these weird permission problems are why I tend to stay away from Windows. Nonetheless I think you're right. I'll report back if I manage to fix anything.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#28]
I think if you avoid installing stuff in Program Files and run as Administrator, Windows will generally let you go about your business in peace.

dragon(Posted 2012) [#29]
Today, i installed monkey, and all SDK's on Windows8pro x64
All targets work with Monkey-Example

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#30]
Monkey works flawlessly for me. Without it I would only be developing for one target, probably iOS. Now I have numerous targets with more coming. That right there is a massive win.

I don't think I need to say anything about your attitude on coming in here. Frankly I'm surprised you received any help at all with an attitude like that.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#31]
Give the man a break. He did lose his cool, but we've all wanted to put our fist through the monitor when stuff doesn't work! I can't think of a development environment where I haven't had that experience.

Monkey has the advantage that at least some of it tends to work, but it looks like this guy didn't have that!

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#32]
Programming has the tendency to teach a person patience.

Kauffy(Posted 2012) [#33]
By the way, I do find this (having to maintain several dev environments properly) one of the more frustrating and tricky aspects of Monkey, but it also comes with the territory.

I have found that each time I've put away Monkey for a few versions (sometimes months), or each time I have to set up on a new machine, etc., I have to go through some version of this headache of getting the targets to work. Fortunately, I've gotten a little bit better at it to where now it feels as satisfying as a coding success.

Wearing my product manager hat, though, I would like to see some slightly more productized support for these dev environments.

Maybe that's something @Ziggy would like to add to Jungle IDE.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#34]
What do you have in mind there? What kind of support?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#35]
Maybe a system which sets up the sdks for you would be good, one click to download them, install them and link them to Monkey...

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#36]
The Android part is particularly bad [no fault of Monkey, it's because of the Android SDK which is a tangled nightmare.] In my experience the Apple end is pretty seamless, just keep your Xcode updated.

maltic(Posted 2012) [#37]
Most problems with Monkey have nothing to do with Monkey, but rather bugs or changes in the target languages. I feel sorry for Mark, having to keep up with so many changes.

Sammy(Posted 2012) [#38]
The Android part is particularly bad [no fault of Monkey, it's because of the Android SDK which is a tangled nightmare.] In my experience the Apple end is pretty seamless, just keep your Xcode updated.
My experience was the exact opposite, Android was a breeze and iOS was a total PITA. I think it is just down to your luck on the day though.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#39]
iOS setup was fine for me... but the submission process to Apple was a total nightmare!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#40]
I have to say I think I wasted my money buying Monkey. So far I can't get a single target to work. At all.

Thats odd. Every single target i tried worked right away for me.

maltic(Posted 2012) [#41]
Hey Neuro, is you're name a reference to the band "Neurosis?". If so, kudos.

Also, I have since got the targets I need working. I should update the initial post.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#42]
Actually it was from this William Gibson book, just shortened down. Glad your targets are working now.

maltic(Posted 2012) [#43]
Neuromancer? One of the classics!

Thanks, I've been happily monkeying around for a week now.