Ignition V1.3 now up!

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Ignition V1.3 now up!

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

Ignition V1.3 is now available.

IMPORTANT!!! Renamed some methods for consistency:

- Add () from the iTileMap class is renamed to Put ()
- GetFrame () and GetFrames () are renamed to Frame () and Frames () of the iSprite class.
- GetFrame () and GetFrames () are renamed to Frame () and Frames () of the iLayerSprite class.

Modules:

* Font Converter *

- Fixed 'null object' bug.

* Tile Editor *

- Fixed a monkey export bug. You need to re-export your tile projects from the editor to have it displayed properly in your game.
- Some settings can be set in tile editor.ini like grid color, background color (this is not possible in th editor yet).

Modules:

* tiles.monkey *

- Tiles can now be animated.

* engine.monkey *

- Added SetRGB, SetGhostRGB and SetMouseOverRGB methods to gui objects.
- Added scrollbox auto sliders.
- iGuiButton can now render text on surface.
- Scaling tweaks and fixes.

* commoncode.monkey *

- Added iBitTest and iBitSet.

And I hope the member area login is now working better :)

Please send me an email if you experience problems!

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#2]
Nice Playniax! Will wait a little longer cause i am actually working on my server but i will definitivly buy it. What are scroll box ? Also what the plan for the next version ?

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#3]
A scroll box is like a window. All gui objects placed in a scroll box will be clipped and you can use sliders to scroll the content.

The scroll box is also going to be used as a foundation for the pull down menu and other stuff like pages with tabs for future releases of the framework.

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks.

Armitage1982(Posted 2012) [#5]
Is it possible to read the Help file or to check the API ?
A check between Ignition & Diddy would be much easier that way.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#6]
http://www.playniax.com/download/sample.zip

You can NOT compile the samples/bananas without getting errors because you are missing the framework and data files but it is to give you an impression of the framework modules.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#7]
I had mail problems today so I have not got an email from it you send it.
I have send you an email now.

smilertoo(Posted 2012) [#8]
Hi,
what's the situation regarding ignition updates? If i buy now and ignition 2.0 comes out at xmas do i need to buy again or would there be a discount for existing users?
Have all examples etc been tested for windows phone 7? Every diddy example i tried worked on xna but failed on wp7.

Thanks

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#9]
Hi,

Updates for people who bought Ignition stay free.

However we reserve the right to develop more modules/tools/add-ons and decide later if they will be part of the framework or a separate product.

We test everything extensively on all targets. Until now we have done nothing native for monkey so everything should work fine. However bugs can always occure. We do our best to fix it if a bug is found.

Armitage1982(Posted 2012) [#10]
Thanks for the sample Documents :)

Soap(Posted 2012) [#11]
You should add a real HTML text area to post and submit the serial... not using texture atlases is really inefficient both for your server and for memory. :P

smilertoo(Posted 2012) [#12]
I noticed the font system seems to use an image for each letter, that's the most inefficient way possible.

Soap(Posted 2012) [#13]
It's bad for memory (all textures are round up to pow of 2 in memory and all of the extra wasted space adds up) and bad for HTML5 games with server calls. More calls = longer loading time. It can also be a problem on mobile devices. More files = longer loading times on average. We have done enough games to know that texture atlases for as many things as possible are absolutely obligatory.

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#14]
Hi, just got Ignition and giving it a try, how do I set the CLS colour of a loader screen?

If have tried loaderState.AutoCls(0,255,0) but it makes no difference.

Thanks.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#15]
loaderState uses a playfield and a playfield has it's own clearing system. The engine has a smart cls system and will only clear the borders when a playfield uses AutoCls and is of a different color. This is because you can use multiple playfields. The loader has a playfield in place in case you need to work with virtual resolutions.

Try:

loaderState.playfield.AutoCls (0, 255, 0)

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#16]
Thanks, that works.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#17]
Is there a license for games developed using Ignition?

smilertoo(Posted 2012) [#18]
You buy it and make whatever games you want.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#19]
Yes, once you bought it you don't need to pay any extra license fee. Use it to make as many games or apps as you want.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#20]
Great! Are there any other live demos of various explosions, fires, smoke, etc, effects?

Uncle(Posted 2012) [#21]
Hello,

When using a virtual resolution my playfield is nicely centered with black borders down the sides when target resolution is wider than then playfield. However iTouch doesn't seem to take into account the playfield screen is offset by this border. Is there an easy way to get the touch position with the border taken into consideration?

Cheers,

Unc

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#22]
Hi,

Yes, you can use VTouch or VMouse or playfield.Touch and playfield.Mouse.

It should be in the docs and examples :)

iTouch and iMouse are more like the normal Touch and Mouse commands but work at low update rates when tweening is desired.

Cheers!

Uncle(Posted 2012) [#23]
Great. Thanks. I must have missed it the docs. Ive been playing around with your library for a couple of days now and its very nice.

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#24]
Hey Playniax.. what gonna come for next version ? :)

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#25]
I am not sure what will make it first in next releases but I have some things I am working on:

Ignition has a fine gui system but it was designed with games in mind first. We are now working on some more gui stuff not only limited to games. I am trying to have a button that can be any size you want with a minimum of scaling. It cuts the bitmap in 9 pieces and this way allows it to resize a button without for example round corners to get bigger. I hope this can make it in the next release.

And more gui stuff that has pull down menus, tabs, combo's, etc. all skinable but not sure when it will be available and how.

I will also want this to be available for the max version.

We need this gui system for tools we want to make in the future.

Improving some tools like the collision editor and font creator.

Also trying to get the tile editor working on Linux but MaxGui is not beeing happy about it. Another reason for a better gui system.

Always more and better docs, examples and templates.

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#26]
Yeah more GUI stuff would be interesting since in the game i am making i will need some GUI elements and i don't know where to start. I am probably not the only one in this situation. Some interesting ideas...

- Panel where you can scroll its content. Content could be some other GUI element aswell like a TextPanel, etc..
- Textbox where you can input text.
- ListView or kind of GRID would be really useful too.. but its kinda complex.

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#27]
A ListView or a Grid would be excellent addition!!!

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#28]
Hi, I am using bitmapFont.Draw to draw some text in my game screen, but if I use SetColor to change font color it is no longer faded when opening the systemGUI?

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#29]
Try SetFadeColor ()

;)

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#30]
Thanks.

Sledge(Posted 2012) [#31]
Oh, I posted im the v1.2 thread but now I see 1.3 is up! Did you implement scrolling text by dragging the box in the end?

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#32]
Hi, another couple of questions, when I looked at template3 the system GUI pause button is not affected by a screenfade? can this be set?

Also is it possible to use the virtual resolution to always stretch to the device size ignoring aspect?

Thanks.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#33]
Fading system gui pause button can only be done by changing its alpha and color fields red, green, blue.

I may have a look at the possibility of adding a fade register for this in the next release without breaking to much compatibility.

virtual resolution 4 possibilities with a playfield :

SetVirtual (_width:Int, _height:Int, _center:Bool = False) - ADDS BORDERS WHEN NEEDED

SetVHeight (_height:int) - FULL SCREEN STRETCHED, NO BORDERS
SetVWidth (_width:int) - FULL SCREEN STRETCHED, NO BORDERS

Or:

SetScale (_scaleX:Float, _scaleY:Float) - IGNORES ASPECT

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#34]
Great, thanks.

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2012) [#35]
Hello,

I have purshased this framework one hour ago, it seems to be very awesome. But, I received a mail that said to me that they have to verify my purshase so...I have to wait before testing arrrgh....I hope I could test it soon :)

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#36]
Hi,

Thank you!

I think it is a share-it thing. Can you send me an email with prove that you bought it. Maybe I can do something :)

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2012) [#37]
sure ! I've just send a mail to the support, I use the mail for the ignition support I found on your Playniax website :)

Thank you !

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#38]
Check your mail :)

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2012) [#39]
Thank you ! I answer you by mail now ^^

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#40]
Playniax do you have a screenshot of the editor ?

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2012) [#41]
Hello,

That's a very nice work. But, there is one thing I have to say : there is a leak with the documentation.

There is a lot of examples, that's very cool but, for example, I can't find the doc about the iLoadSprite command to see parameters. I searched for a long time without finding it :( Or may be I had no luck, where I can find it in the documentation ?

Thank you in advance ! :)

EDIT : Just find it in the gfx section. May be a "search" field will be cool for the doc ;)

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#42]
@Rushino: I see what I can do.

@DarkyCrystal: It can be found in the gfx module.

I wrote a tool that creates the docs automatically so it is easy to update for me. A search field would be great but I am kind of hoping Mark will provide a way to add 3rd party documentation to Monkey IDE. I had to rewrite the doc system 3 times because the Monkey doc system changed also.

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2012) [#43]
Yes that will be great. Because when we are new with the framework, that's difficult to find some commands, when we look at the example :s

An online doc perhaps ? with a search tool on your site ? ;) may be an idea
^^

This is a great framework :) I think you could make something on your site for members or something like that ^^

Volker(Posted 2012) [#44]
with a search tool on your site ?

Use a tool like Agent Ransack to search through the offline docs or the examples.
That's what I do. Simple and effective.

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2012) [#45]
Thank's Volker :)

I have question about the engine. I understood that a sprite could be render with sprite.Render().

But, I use a Playfield and LayerSprite. I read on the doc that the layersprite and playfield are rendered automatically.

I would like to render some LayerSprite only when I want on the screen, and I didn't find how to do that ?

I use one of the template of the framework so, I have a playfield, a layer, and layersprite.

Thank you for your help :)

Volker(Posted 2012) [#46]
Try sprite.visible=false

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2012) [#47]
this is a solution, but there is no solution to use sprite.Render() simply ?

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#48]
You have to types of sprites. iLayerSprite or iSprite.

iSprite can be used the way you want. sprite.Render ()

The layer sprites are more advanced.

Volker(Posted 2012) [#49]
Is there a way to determine in which order iLayerSprites are drawn?
I need some kinds of sprites to be always drawn on top, is this
possible or do I need two playfields?

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#50]
You can use 2 layers.

Or just one layer and give them a z order and call iSortLayerObjects (_layer:iLayer) from the engines OnUpdate method to have it update every frame or just once after the sprites are created.

iSortLayerObjects (_layer:iLayer) can be found in the engine docs.

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2012) [#51]
I use iLayerSprite instead of sprite because I need to rotate the sprite, and the only way I found work with iLayerSprite :) That's why I asked is there was a way to work with them like a sprite to render them.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#52]
A normal sprite can be rotated too.

Another way to have a sprite always on top is to use AddFirst instead of AddLast for all the other sprites. It really depends on what you want but the engine is quite flexible.

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2012) [#53]
a normal sprite can be rotate oO oups I don't see it, in fact I look at the class on the doc and I saw iLayerSprite / object rotate but not the "simple" sprite class.

may be I missed something.

Volker(Posted 2012) [#54]
object rotate but not the "simple" sprite class.

Try to set field sprite.rotation.
Another way to have a sprite always on top is to use AddFirst instead of AddLast for all the other sprites

Nice, done that.

hobo(Posted 2012) [#55]
Hello ignition people,

A quick query:

I have ignition and so far so good.

Also I use Diddy. Does Ignition have anything similar to the Diddy gesture controls below:

Method OnTouchDragged:Void(x:Int, y:Int, dx:Int, dy:Int,
Method OnTouchFling:Void(releaseX:Int, releaseY:Int,

I couldn't see anything in the examples/framework and at the moment I'm struggling to see how I can port them across as the diddy inputcache/ignition input stuff seems well integrated into their respective frameworks.

Perhaps there's another way I can read in these fling or touch/drag controls?

Thanks.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#56]
I am very busy working on the the next update. I will have a look at this. Hopefully I have something for you in a few days.

hobo(Posted 2012) [#57]
Thanks for the update Playniax, appreciated.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#58]
Hi, Ignition V1.4 is now available.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#59]
Great Thanks!