Free Monkey Programming Book

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Free Monkey Programming Book

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#1]
Packt Publishing is giving away a free book this weekend. All you have to do is register an account. No credit card needed. The home page is here:

http://www.packtpub.com/

And the Monkey programming book is here:

http://www.packtpub.com/monkey-2d-game-development-beginners-guide/book

Currently the servers appear to be overloaded, but hopefully sometime in the next couple of days it will lighten up. You can choose any book from their library.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#2]
If you can, please use this link to sign up there (when the serverload is lower):

http://bit.ly/RXnAMc

Cheers
Michael

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hopefully Michael still gets a cut. :)

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#4]
They said that they split 30000 between all books that are downloaded. But it will ne calculatrd against my advance anyway, so it doesnt matter. But i think it is great to be able to get a free book.

Amon(Posted 2012) [#5]
Seems to be working now. My free eBook was a Unity 3D Essentials book for Unity3D Engine.

Oh! I already own the Monkey Book.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#6]
How did you were able to get the book? I just saw that link to claim one. But still got no confirmation about a gift code or something like that.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#7]
Ok, saw it now. First when I claimed it it was just a form where I could enter email and password. Now I get to the library.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#8]
It is confusing. It took me awhile to get it figured out. You have to go to the library, open the book that you want and then download it from there.

TheRedFox(Posted 2012) [#9]
The site is saturated. Got a mail telling me that they'll give a free week of access and one free ebook. Damn, next week end then :-(

Zaxxan(Posted 2012) [#10]
Hi, I've registered an account but the 'Free ebook download' button is greyed out. Do I have to do something else to enable the download?

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#11]
Like Why0Why said :-)

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#12]
When I first tried it using Chrome the page display was a little garbled. The text entry boxes didn't quite match up with their labels and the "Register" button wasn't visible. Things went much more smoothly with Internet Explorer.

Zaxxan(Posted 2012) [#13]
Still not working for me. I've logged in, loaded the library, selected the book but the download link is grayed out.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#14]
Guess you have to contact PacktPub then. When you say selected the book. Does it mean that its content loaded so you can browse it there?

Zaxxan(Posted 2012) [#15]
Hi Mike,

Yes, the library is loaded so that I can browse the book.

Ironstorm(Posted 2012) [#16]
Same problem here. Content loaded but the download button still greyed out

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#17]
Contact PacktPub, that is all I can say.

TeaBoy(Posted 2012) [#18]
I just downloaded your book Mike, this is great, good stuff!

dave.h(Posted 2012) [#19]
got my book thanks for pointing this out.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#20]
You're welcome!

TheRedFox(Posted 2012) [#21]
Got it too. Good stuff in there!

smilertoo(Posted 2012) [#22]
The offer has been extended until Friday.

AaronK(Posted 2012) [#23]
Really? I cant see it in the free books under my account. And if I search for it in their library, pull it up there is no download button. Just buttons for viewing sample chapter and TOC

smilertoo(Posted 2012) [#24]
Log in to your account at any point this week. You will then be able to enter PacktLib, through which you can browse our books and select a free eBook to download.

vmakar85(Posted 2012) [#25]
Cool book, thx for news =) thx for the book

Zaxxan(Posted 2012) [#26]
Finally managed to download my free book today (Monkey Game Development Beginners Guide). Thanks to Mike for the book and the help in downloading the book. I just need some time to read it now.

DiabloV(Posted 2013) [#27]
the Monkey programming book is NOT FREE

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#28]
It was free during that period cause Packtpub gave ALL their ebooks away for free.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#29]
the Monkey programming book is NOT FREE

You realize that they said "giving away a free book this weekend", and that this thread is a YEAR old?