Ignition V1.2 now up!

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Ignition V1.2 now up!

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

Ignition V1.2 is now available.

Modules:

* highscore.monkey *

- Added the Count method that returns the numer of entries.
- You can now create multiple highscore tables.

* gfx.monkey *

- Added iGrabSprite for grabbing a sprite from a sprite sheet.
- Added experimental support for texturepacker http://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker

* sprite.monkey *

- Added Fps method to iSprite.

* engine.monkey *

- Added Fps method to iLayerSprite.
- Added vertical slider.

* font.monkey *

- Added DrawItalic method.

Bananas:

- Added more sprite animation examples like how to make animation sequences and how to use texturepacker sheets.
- Vertical slider.
- Multiple high score tables.

Tools:

- Improved bitmap font converter. Can handle other folders besides the default windows font directory.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#2]
Great. Thanks! :)

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#3]
Glad to see fast updates and added features. Thanks Tony!

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#4]
Nice thanks. I must use this engine in the near future.

Did you send out a new mail, cause I did not get it!
I tried you link in your last mail, but the number no longer works!

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#5]
I see the problem. I have send you an email.

Armoured(Posted 2012) [#6]
Hi Playniax,
I have the same problem of Tri|Ga|De.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#7]
Hi, I have send you an email too. It appears it has something to do with the http get function and time outs. Just click the link again if it doesn't download or logout and try again. In the meantime I try to fix it. Strange, but I was not able to reproduce the problem on my computers in many attempts. That is most annoying bug to sort out ever. This member are is just an experiment for now so if people have problem to get the update send me an email.

Armoured(Posted 2012) [#8]
Playniax a screenshot may help you?

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#9]
I had to manually entered in my key in the URL for it to work. Apparently it saved the older key from when i was beta tester (even though i entered the new one during the login). Just had to replace it with the new license key :

http://monkey.playniax.com/getfile.php?key={YOUR KEY}&file={LATEST UPDATE FILE}

Replacing the {YOUR KEY} with your license key, and {LATEST UPDATE FILE} with the updated file name will work.

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#10]
Thanks. Keep up the great work.

Armoured(Posted 2012) [#11]
All ok here now!
Thanks

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#12]
I am working to improve the GUI stuff for next releases. This little demo shows a scrollbox.

http://www.playniax.com/demos/scrollbox/html5/demo.html

I have added automatic sliders to the scrollbox. Before the programmer had to set it up himself. The scrollbox sliders adjust automatically to the content of the scrollbox.

Volker(Posted 2012) [#13]
It would be nice to have text support for buttons.
No need for different button sets if localizing apps.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#14]
The next release should have a lot of GUI improvements.

Sledge(Posted 2012) [#15]
Do you have a newsletter (or RSS feed) for updates? Quite interested to check out the new GUI stuff as soon as it's available. I'll probably just leave this thread open in the meantime :D

jjsonick(Posted 2012) [#16]
I bought this last week, and have been enjoying getting to know it.

My biggest request for the future would be, when Mark implements his proposed filestream module, that it be integrated with ignition's storage module to allow multiple, separate save game files (instead of the one, possibly massive, .monkeystate file).

The only issue I've had so far is with custom bitmap fonts made with the provided font converter. I compiled the font converter with Blitz Max, and it *seems* to run fine with conversion of any particular font, but when I try to use the created font, I get a 'Monkey Runtime Error: Type Error: 'null' is not an object" (html5) or "Monkey Runtime Error: Type Error: Error #1009" (Flash) error when the program attempts to load the font. The fonts included in the examples work fine, it's just when I switch which font is loaded to one of my custom ones -- literally only changing the name of the loaded font in the example code, and the custom font is in the same folder as the included-in-the-example one.

Here's a zip of the fonts, if you want to look. The two in the "dontcrash" folder are from the examples and load fine, the others were created with font converted and cause the error: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3847822/igntion/fonts.zip

jjsonick(Posted 2012) [#17]
Issue workaround! Tony was able to help me out over email.

So anyone having the same problem with custom fonts:

Download the latest version of the tools from http://monkey.playniax.com/

Run filter.exe and select the .txt file of the font that's not loading (eg '16.txt').

After filter.exe has done its thing, the custom font should now load.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#18]
I still am going to have a look at it because filter is meant to rebuild the font table after you delete characters that you don't need. The converter itself should produce a reliable result.

But yes, anyone having the same problem use filter to repair it.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#19]
I have a question regarding the tile system. Is it possible to generate it on the fly. I'd like to make a top down game where the terrain is generated procedural.

Second question, will the font system be improved? I like ziggy's font machine very much especially with all its additional things like shadows and borders...

Beside that your framework looks awesome. I'll definitely will use it for my next game.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#20]
If by on the fly you mean plotting the tiles directly into the tilemap without the editor the answer is yes. An example can be found in the bananas folder. If you have more specific questions, send me an email.

For the font system, my first goal was to be able to use ttf fonts (with simple converter) because they can be found all over the place. I will have a look at other font modules and see what I can add.

At this point I am working on more GUI stuff, mainly experimenting and to see where I can improve the tile system.

Also starting to work on 2 games...

Thank you!

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#21]
Thanks, you got it right will have a look into the bananas folder. :)

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#22]
Another suggestion: At least I would like to have "strict" code. ;)

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#23]
You mean for the templates?

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#24]
Animating tiles would be great :)

Amon(Posted 2012) [#25]
For the next update I would really like a makeAppStoreMillions() function as I need it pretty bad. Cheers, thanks!

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#26]
@Amon Haha. I think we all want this fonction. :)

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#27]
+1 for makeAppStoreMillions() function.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#28]
You mean for the templates?

No I mean the example code but this isn't a biggy and maybe I'm a bit "strict" by myself with this. ;)

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#29]
@Rushino: Next release animating tiles...

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#30]
Okay, a little update of the jungle demo showing animated tiles. Look at the water, fire and lava.

http://playniax.com/demos/jungle/html5/demo.html

Also in the next update:

- Render text on buttons.
- Autosliders on scrollbox.
- Scaling tweaks.

Update coming in a few days!

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#31]
I was just about to ask for custom-labeled buttons. Woo hoo!

Soap(Posted 2012) [#32]
How well are latest updates running for PSM/Vita on device? I still need to buy but will soon. Even if we do not use it I still want to support the development as a good option.

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#33]
Oh Oh ! Animated tiles... starting to get interesting. Plus the next update are looking interesting.. you say - Autosliders on scrollbox. I didnt even know there was a scrollbox to start with.

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#34]
does your engine handle isometric and orthogonal maps? Does it automatically handle ordering?

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#35]
Don't think it handle isometric or orthogonal maps..

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#36]
Only orthogonal style tiles for now.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#37]
V1.3 is up!

nrasool(Posted 2012) [#38]
Nice one Playniax, got the update, very cool

Let me just put out what included in 1.3 if that's okay

* V1.3 (released on 9-10-2012) *

IMPORTANT!!! Renamed some methods for consistency:

- Add () from the iTileMap class is renamed to Put ()
- GetFrame () and GetFrames () are renamed to Frame () and Frames () of the iSprite class.
- GetFrame () and GetFrames () are renamed to Frame () and Frames () of the iLayerSprite class.

* Font Converter *

- Fixed 'null object' bug.

* Tile Editor *

- Fixed a monkey export bug. You need to re-export your tile projects from the editor to have it displayed properly in your game.
- Some settings can be set in tile editor.ini like grid color, background color (this is not possible in th editor yet).

Modules:

* tiles.monkey *

- Tiles can now be animated.

* engine.monkey *

- Added SetRGB, SetGhostRGB and SetMouseOverRGB methods to gui objects.
- Added scrollbox auto sliders.
- iGuiButton can now render text on surface.
- Scaling tweaks and fixes.

* commoncode.monkey *

- Added iBitTest and iBitSet.

Hope convert more people to get this framework :-)

Kind Regards

Sledge(Posted 2012) [#39]
Did you implement scrolling text by dragging the box in the end?