Arrays of animated images, is it possible?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Arrays of animated images, is it possible?

Gary Leeds(Posted 2012) [#1]
I am working on a project that has several on screen buttons that can be pressed at any time. I have set up an array that I am using to store the current status of the button (if it is pressed or not) so they can interact in other parts of the program.

my problem is I have 10 buttons to draw and the frame of the animation to draw (either pressed or not) is stored in another variable. What I basically want to do is have an array of images with 4 frames of animation on each image and then draw the correct image with a command something like

DrawImage buttonimages[a], but_pos_x[a], but_pos_y[a] - y_pos, 0, 1, 1, button_status[a]

where a is a loop to cover each button, but_pos_x and y is an array for each buttons draw position, button_status is an array holding the status of each button (up or down), and buttonimages[a] is the array of images but they are not single frame, they are multi frame and this is the code that doesnt work.

Is there any way of doing this without having different names for each button image

Thanks
Gary

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#2]
I don't use frames myself but I don't see anything wrong with the above, assuming button_status[ a ] is the frame you want to draw.

I suspect the error is somewhee else.

Gary Leeds(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hi Gerry

I am setting up the array with

Global buttonimages:Image[]

and trying to load the images with

buttonimages[0] = LoadImage("start.png", but_size_x[0], but_size_y[0], 4)

But this gives me an monkey run time error, array index out of range.

Do I need to dim the image array somewhere?

Gary

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#4]
Gary, I think you are supposed to do something like

[monkeycode]
Global buttonimages:Image[X]
[/monkeycode]

where X is the array size. Or use later in the code:

[monkeycode]
buttonimages = buttonimages.Resize(X)
[/monkeycode]

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#5]
Yes!

Arrays must always be dimensioned before you put stuff in them. You need something like:

buttonImages = New Image[ nButtons ]

Gary Leeds(Posted 2012) [#6]
Cheers Gerry, that's solved the problem, thanks