Something screwy is happening to my monkey files!

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Something screwy is happening to my monkey files!

ondesic(Posted 2012) [#1]
This is crazy. I don't know what is going on. Out of nowhere my files are disappearing each time I run my monkey app.

I am using Flash, but I think I also tried HTML5. Everything was fine until today. I ran monkey, and a few files disappeared from the project.build/data folder. I ran it a few more times, and then the entire project.build/data folder was gone. I got this huge list of errors because it couldn't find the folder. I deleted everything in the build folder and tried again. It will work for a few times, then once again the project.build/data folder will disappear. I checked the recycle bin, but it is not there.

as a side note, I did notice that my recycle bin changed names to "bbvvxxbbccxx I.II.II". Malwarebytes doesn't detect a virus. Any help? I could sure use it!

BlackD(Posted 2012) [#2]
Files becoming corrupted on use can be a sign of a damaged read/write head on your hard drive. If this is suspected, it's best NOT to run a disk scan, as it can cause all the files on your drive to be lost. There's a couple of utilities you can use to easily view your drive's health status.

PassMark's "DiskCheckup" is a good free one - http://download.cnet.com/DiskCheckup/3000-2248_4-127159.html?tag=mncol

Once you start it, select your drive, go to the "SMART" tab and check the Status and RAW columns (values in the "Value" common mean nothing for this purpose). If any of the Status' are not marked OK, there's cause for concern. "Raw Read Error Rate" in the RAW column should read 0, but if it doesn't that's not necessarily the sign of a bad disk - Windows can sometimes drop files itself by accident.

What you don't want are "Write Error Count" in RAW to be more than 0. If it is, chance is your disk is dying. Other concerning RAW values (if more than 0) would be "Uncorrectable Error Count", "Off Track Errors", "Reported Uncorrectable Errors". Different drives report different SMART values (for example, not all will report Write Error Count). "Raw Read Error", "Seek Error" and "Soft Read Error Rate" are not serious.

If all the values say "OK" in the status column, then try a disk check through right-clicking on your drive, selecting properties, going to the tools tab and clicking Disk Check. If it's your main drive, it'll do it next time you restart your PC (which should be right away).

therevills(Posted 2012) [#3]
Do as BlackD has suggested, but can I ask what disappears from the build folder?

Are you putting files there youself? If you are, you really shouldnt... Monkey will copy files from the project.data folder to the project.build folder for you.

BlackD(Posted 2012) [#4]
Oooh, that would be an obvious mistake if it was happening. I should have thought of that first, but I always tend to err on the side of "worst case scenario".. hehe :)

Cygnus(Posted 2012) [#5]
I had this happen and it was exactly as therevills said. I'd been putting my data files directly in the build directory. That won't work :-)

You'll also want to make sure you configure your projects data files properly. If you don't tell it to copy a .dat file for instance, it won't- and therefore when you build, if you manually copied it into the build dir, it'll get deleted and not copied from the data dir.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#6]
Just so it's clear: there are one or two things you can change in the build folder: for example in Flash you may want to modify the HTML canvas size or add a Mochi identifier to the start of the actionscript file, and these changes are preserved between builds.

But otherwise, you should leave it alone.

golomp(Posted 2012) [#7]
I also think Therevills found the reason.
Good analyze.

ondesic(Posted 2012) [#8]
Thanks. That was probably my problem. Since I left the build folder alone thngs have been ok.