Low Latency RealTime Multiplayer Action MMO

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Low Latency RealTime Multiplayer Action MMO

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#1]
Who don't want to build a Low Latency RealTime Multiplayer Action MMO :P

However for any kind of game that plays better using low latency it would be really nice to have a external server solution. We found pubnub, but that was optimal for turn-based Apps. I just found this Cloud based service that at first glance looks very promising.

http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-server/FeatureOverview/#cat-getting_started

I tested a CounterStrike clone in the webbrowser, that was using their service. I seemed to work really well.

They have servers in USA, Europe and Asia. The indy cost is very low (imo), and free up to 20 concurrent users per app.

You can either use their servers to relay messages, or you can implement their API and code your own server.

Maybe I'm missing something essential, but it seems to me this opens up a lot of multiplayer game possibilities, especially for indy teams.

What do you think?

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#2]
I looked at this a while back and it would be quite a large task to make this operate under monkey. Especially developing it for free!

Unfortunately it seems they still have not added flash/javascript SDK's for their cloud platform which is a shame!

I think this is one of the best options out there, you could attract unity users as well as they are very familiar with photon!

skid(Posted 2012) [#3]
A server is only as good as it's ping time, exitgames.com is 400ms from here (nz).

I have have been trying some server experiments on appspot.com (google) which is finally below 200ms so basically usable from what feels like the other side of the planet.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#4]
Skn3, did you uncover any more details that might be of use?

How big do you think it is? I mean what are the biggest issues to deal with? I checked the C# part and it looked fairly simple. Feel to me wrapping bare socket support would take almost the same amount of time. What do you think?

skid, Wow you have 400ms from NZ, well I guess the closest server for you is the one in Asia. I assume my ping to the Europe server is substantially lower. And yeah I do agree, latency is where it's at.

Btw how did you check the latency to their server? If it is simple I'll check it myself. I have the WindowsPhone and C# SDKs and Samples installed and running.

skid(Posted 2012) [#5]
I just type ping exitgames.com from the command line of a pc.

That is their web server address, their game servers are possibly running behind other addresses at much better response times.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#6]
Pubnub is quite fast as well <250ms as far as I know. That should be enough even for fast action. You need some interpolation anyway.

edit: At least enough for classical RPGs (online) and NOT shooters like Counter strike.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#7]
But then again I think it's time to finish MNet and include sockets for all major targets...

Zeke(Posted 2012) [#8]
i made small (GLFW only) RakNet 4 module test, and that worked fine. (server, client, send/receive packets)

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#9]
Zeke can you send me that please if you don't mind?

Zeke(Posted 2012) [#10]
sure.. but its not just copy to modules folder... need to copy all raknet sources to tagets/glfw folder...

damn...

after that module, i also added "include" command that included code to main code when compiled.. aah.. need some time to do all again... :D

but. sure. i will put this code available to all users..

so.. please, wait a day or two.. :D

Zeke(Posted 2012) [#11]
ok copy of my working server...

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#12]
Cool stuff!

Well even with Socket the server might be a issue, unless I go with a peer to peer solution.

When I saw exitgames.com I tought that might be the optimal solution.

Yeah true Xaron, actaully the project I wanted to use this in was an RTS (Strategy Game), so pubnub might actually be more viable than I first tought. I'll look more into that thanks, since you have it wrapped it sure is a very doable solution :)

btw I have 200ms to exitgame.com's webserver.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#13]
I'll do that sockets stuff for MNet anyway as I need it for my next projects. :)

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#14]
Commit often on svn, I'll take a look and help as much as possible. In what target did you intend to run the server if I may ask?

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#15]
GLFW will have the server component and that OS (console only) target of course. I might add server side socket stuff for Android as well which might be necessary for p2p stuff but I want to have that classical server/client concept first.

GLFW sockets are done, Android runs mostly, will add that stuff to the project asap.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#16]
Good news, I can help test as well if you like!

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#17]
photon server offer currently running:
We want to share our love for Unity and it's amazing community with a time-limited special offer. During the week of the Unite 2012 Photon Server is available for all indies in two new packages:

http://shop.exitgames.com/products/photon-Single-Unite
Single Photon Server Indie Unite
- 1 server and unlimited CCU for USD 99,-

http://shop.exitgames.com/products/photon-Triple-Unite
Triple Photon Server Indie Unite
- 3 servers and unlimited CCU for USD 199,-

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#18]
That's good! I still scratch my head if photon is easy to integrate or not...

Landon(Posted 2012) [#19]
what if someone made an MMO using a p2p system.

dear god....

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#20]
Diablo 2 was made that way.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#21]
The first phantasy star online was also (not sure about ones after that)

golomp(Posted 2012) [#22]
I'll do that sockets stuff for MNet anyway as I need it for my next projects. :)

Thank you Xaron !

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#23]
No problem! :) You're welcome. Will keep you posted! First target will be Android after GLFW (which is done for Windows) followed by iOS and WP7. I'll checkout websockets as well to make it work for HTML5.