MonkeyPro62 now up! [MONKEY NEWS]

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/MonkeyPro62 now up! [MONKEY NEWS]

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

Monkey V62 is now available!

This version introduces a new documentation system, and a new tool called 'George' (included in the src dir) for converting docs from a mini-markdown format to html. This is all pretty much still a WIP, but IMO already much more logical/readable than the existing docs.

George uses a simple html template system to format the html, although the general 'scope per page' approach is hardcoded in. Please feel free to mess around with the 'page_template.html' file in src/george to see if you can come up with something sexier than my Qt-based attempt!

George is also currently limited to processing text files in a src_docs dir. Files that start with a '_' are assumed to be 'scope docs' files, other files are plain topics. Future versions of George may also scan for docs in modules, or scan module source etc.

Ted now has an 'index' combobox in the toolbar, and F1 can be used to auto search this index with the identifier currently under the text cursor.

Modules:

android mojo - MOJO_HICOLOR_TEXTURES config setting now actually does something! Set to "true" for 32 bit textures, "false" for 16 bit. Yep, I know it's badly named, HICOLOR used to mean '16bit'. Only applies to Android.

c++ monkey.lang - LoadString now assumes UTF-8 by default (ie: if there's no BOM) and SaveString now saves (BOM-less) UTF-8 too. NOTE: This is pretty much the standard, and most targets assume UTF-8 like this. Ted also now behaves this way - ie: source files are assumed to be UTF-8 unless there's a BOM. You may have issues with files saved from Monk, which does not UTF-encode files (or write a BOM marker) unless the file contains at least one char >255. This means files saved from Monk with 'accented' euro-chars (which are <256) may not be UTF-encoded, and you'll have problems loading such files into Ted or using LoadString. I may eventually add a 'file encoding' option to Ted to deal with this but in the meantime you'll have to copy 'n' paste around it. One trick would be to paste a single 'Asian' char into a source file in Monk before saving which will trigger UTF-encoding.

flash mojo - kludged around paused/resumed audio not looping from start issue. Not pretty, and seems to have increased loop lag a tad but wotkanyado.

c++ monkey.lang - fixed bug when resizing arrays of arrays.

Targets:

glfw - added *.ogg to SOUND_FILES and MUSIC_FILES in target CONFIG.TXT.

android - LoadString now assumes UTF-8 by default (ie: if there's no BOM).

Trans (V1.38)

Rebuilt for UTF-8 tweaks.

Ted (V1.6)

Added help index.

Landon(Posted 2012) [#2]
WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE!!

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#3]
After the download Chrome tells me

MonkeyPro62.zip is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous.

It's only existed for an hour so I'm sure it's not commonly downloaded! The only option displayed is "Discard", but clicking the little arrow reveals an option to learn more. That takes me to this page, which contains a list of messages I might see, and what they mean. Naturally, the message I just saw is not mentioned.

Isn't there some way to tell Google this is a legitimate site that's been around for a while?

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#4]
I just had the same thing happen to me earlier with a different file but there was a keep option after clicking the arrow.

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#5]
but there was a keep option after clicking the arrow.

Same here. Clicking the arrow offered three options: Discard, Keep, Learn More. I just thought it was interesting that I didn't learn anything from the Learn More page.

Samah(Posted 2012) [#6]
monkey-ext updated.
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3387
http://code.google.com/p/monkey-ext/

Either download the latest zip here:
http://code.google.com/p/monkey-ext/downloads/list

Or make a local clone (Hg) of the repository here:
http://code.google.com/p/monkey-ext/source/checkout

Remember that you will need to keep the modules/mojo directory from the official zip, as it is not stored on Google Code. Alternatively, you can keep an official install somewhere else, then add it to the MODULE_PATH variable in monkey-ext's config file.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#7]
Small request, can you make it so we can Search with Ctrl+F (or Menu) in the Help tab within Ted?

BTW good job on the docs, they look a lot cleaner!

Amon(Posted 2012) [#8]
Thanks, Mark!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#9]
MonkeyPro62.zip is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous.

This is chrome's new phishing protection system and even happens with my own files that i created. I think the more a file is marked as safe, eventually it'll stop showing up.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#10]
Thanks, the new doc system is much better than the old one.

golomp(Posted 2012) [#11]
Thank you Mark !

Sub_Zero(Posted 2012) [#12]
Thanks Mark!

Zurrr(Posted 2012) [#13]
Yes I like this version better. Thank you Mark.

btw crazy Avast think new Ted has miscellaneous activity? I got to look for the other AV

outsider(Posted 2012) [#14]
Thank you for frequent updates.

matt(Posted 2012) [#15]
@marksibly, you should sign Monkey and Ted (and BlitzMax) with a DeveloperID to bypass the security confirmation dialog on Mac OS X 10.8: https://developer.apple.com/resources/developer-id/

Until then, rather than changing security preferences every time you run an "unsigned" app, you can just right click and choose open. This is a neat "power user" workaround. With Monkey, you will need to do this on both the Monkey and Ted apps.

Anyway, thanks for the update!

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#16]
Thanks mark for this wonderful upgrade !

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#17]
Awesome! I see Diddy (and other great frameworks) in the process of getting more than proper documentation.

[EDIT] Or wait, someone still have to write the docs? ;)

Samah(Posted 2012) [#18]
Nooooo documentation eeviiiiillllll!
I have more enjoyable things to do, like stabbing myself in the eye. ;)

degac(Posted 2012) [#19]
Thanks for the update.

Ps: It's a quite long time I dont'use Monkey (I think it is v46...) and some things are gone... just checked the documentation for REM..END REM syntax.

It should be #rem #end for a commenting block, but the example DOESN'T show the '#' symbol...

benmc(Posted 2012) [#20]
Can someone help me figure out why I'm not seeing the new documentation? Do I need to build TED from the source folder perhaps, or re-download? I'm using TED, changed my preferences to point to the new v62 folders, but I still see the old docs.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#21]
@benmc, when you download v62 Ted is now included with Monkey. So when you look in your MonkeyPro folder you should see a Monkey.exe, run that and it should use the new version of Ted and have the new doco.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#22]
@therevills Ah, thank you. Funny how the icon is a Monkey, then the app icon in the toolbar is a teddy bear.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#23]
I've been using bin/Ted.exe (got used to the teddy shortcut icon) and the docs seem the same as Monkey. Combobox and F1 are working.

okee(Posted 2012) [#24]
Thanks, any particular reason why it's called George ;)
edit: ok.. curious george, was thinking along other lines.

siread(Posted 2012) [#25]
c++ monkey.lang - fixed bug when resizing arrays of arrays.

Mark, is this bug something that only occurred in a recent version? Only my latest release of NSS (built in MonkeyPro61) is crashing in various places, such as loading the save file or opening the shop...

I haven't seen it personally yet but I'm getting a lot of emails. There is clearly something going wrong with the last boot price "00FF00". The price is held in an array but no colour info is stored with the boots at all, so I have no idea where it has pulled this value from.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#26]
I think monkeyv61 had a bad garbage collection bug for CPP targets. Mark really should remove it. Use 61b or 62.

http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/post.php?topic=3334&post=35176

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#27]
I upgraded to V63b... now my shortcut is a bear and my app icon is a monkey! I guess it will change when I refresh the desktop.