.monkey files open with TED

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/.monkey files open with TED

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#1]
My .monkey files open with TED now, and that is great but most times I'd prefer if they would open in Jungle.

How can I change this back?

Also each file open in a new TED instance, which sometimes is great, and sometimes I'd want them inside the currently open TED. And there seems to be no way to drop files onto TED

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#2]
By the way, how do I bind a .extension to a application like monkey does? Is this a registry thing? How can I do this for a map-editor for example? Couldn't find anything on it.

xAD(Posted 2012) [#3]
In win7 right-click the file in explorer, select "Open With" from the dropdown, and pick the application to open the file with. Don't forget to check the "always use this program for this type of file" box.

In XP it's similar, but there's a menu for file associations somewhere in the menu bar of Explorer, rather than from the file itself.

Or were you trying to get your own program to do it? (I personally hate when programs change my associations on me)
Yeah, that was probably it. Need to wake up more before I post. :P

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#4]
On a Mac, right click a .monkey file and select 'Get Info'. There should be an 'Open With' section, select the application from the list and then click the 'Change All' button.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#5]
@Tibit: To set JungleIde the default opener for monkey files again (after TED overriding it) just go to [Documents]/Jungle Ide Framework/Stored Updates/ and reaply latest patch (not need to uninstall anything). This will grant the file extension is registered again for its use on Jungle Ide.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#6]
Thanks Ziggy :)

And for my second question, how do I do this for my own Apps? Like monkey.exe that binds .monkey to ted.exe?

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#7]
You'll have to register the file extension on the windows registry. You'll register the file extension as a known file extension, then you register the associated icon and also the associated action or "Open" command.
This a bit more detailed explanation: http://www.codeguru.com/vb/gen/vb_system/directoriesandfiles/article.php/c4837/Working-with-File-Type-Associations.htm

Also here some useful info:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185453