Avoid errors

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Avoid errors

KaaPex(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all.

How do you finding bugs? I use Jungle Ide, but it is so difficult to understand where is the problem.

Thank you.

Raz(Posted 2012) [#2]
Are we talking actual errors that cause the game to crash, or bugs that cause the game to behave in a way you're not expecting?

If the former, compile as debug and it will tell you the source file and line number which caused the error.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#3]
You can also use the debugger when working with GLFW

benmc(Posted 2012) [#4]
Are you doing a debug build? If so, it should show you which line number in your monkey file caused the crash in the output window.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#5]
Most logical bugs that I encounter I either "guess" what it is, or when that does not work I use DrawText( "Player Health: "+player.Health,20,20) to print the values I'm interested in i realtime.

I actually have found myself that I very rarley use the debugger, only by mistake if there is a null error, I'd love to hear about how you do to use it more proactivly. In C# I extensivly use the debugger, but that is because I can pause at a breakpoint, edit code and then resume without restarting the Game.

KaaPex(Posted 2012) [#6]
thanks to all

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#7]
I find I don't use the debugger so much as in C++ but that is probably because of the absence of a handy ASSERT macro. It was nice to be able to break when a function gets unexpected parameters etc. Generally that's closer to the bug than the eventual crash, or it spots bugs that don't usually cause problems.

I suspect Mark wouldn't be crazy about adding macros to Monkey, but there are times they would be handy.