Talking to Server Back End

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Talking to Server Back End

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi All,

I am looking at using Monkey for an online project. I already have a dedicated server running WIndows 2008 and SQL Server. I am using ASP to setup a portal of sorts with login and accounts. I want to use Monkey to make some HTML5(or maybe flash) mini games. What is the best way to talk to my database and pass information securely between my Monkey apps and the back end?

Thanks...

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#2]
You might want to go with someone who is already providing those services, unless you reeeeeally want to do it yourself. I don't, so these are some of the options I'm considering:

Clay.io
scoreoid.net
Scoreloop.com
Playphone.com
gree.net (was OpenFeint)

Some of these provide RESTful interfaces, meaning you don't need an SDK. You'll just POST/GET to their server.

If you really want to do this yourself, see the above for ideas on how they do it, then emulate them.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#3]
Just a clarification: I am not looking for social gaming or connecting multiplayer games. I really just need secure db access on the same server.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#4]
I would use JQuery and use their simple Ajax implementation and send the data using Json.

You can set things up in a very short amount of time on the client/monkey side of things in html and any server side code you have will be able to read the data with ease (since it is Json).

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#5]
Even if you don't want the social features (or leaderboards, IAP, etc.), you mentioned you wanted logins and user accounts. They have those, and you don't have to use all their features.

Regardless, the only issue I think you'll have is encrypting the communication so people can't cheat/hack the system. I just don't have that much time! :-)

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#6]
If you have a windows server, which I believe you have, then write a web service in ASP.NET to communicate between the client and the server. IE. The web service receives messages from the client, connects to your database, runs the query and then returns the result in an XML format, back to the client.