http://code.google.com/p/monkey-touch/

Latest Build
http://code.google.com/p/monkey-touch/downloads/detail?name=r113.rar

Documentation
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56777267/docs/MonkyTouch/index.htm

Requirements
-*Diddy - http://code.google.com/p/diddy/
-*FontMachine - http://www.jungleide.com/?page_id=515
-*DrawText Overload - http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=3207#33908

If you dont want to edit the font fontmachine module, just comment out the last value in the drawtext call that gives an error, your text will go out the screen but when I build the final RC, it will be ok.

SLOT 1 : Taiphoz (Bit Invaders) [ COMPLETE ]
SLOT 2 : Slenker (?)
SLOT 3 : GeeCee3(?)
SLOT 4 : skn3(?)
SLOT 5 : Karja(?)
SLOT 6 : Fryman(?)
SLOT 7 : Tibit(?)
SLOT 8 : therevills(?)
SLOT 9 : Samah(?)
SLOT 10 : Neuro(?)
SLOT 11 : Paul
SLOT 12 : tiresius(?)
SLOT 13 : open(?)
SLOT 14 : open(?)
SLOT 15 : open(?)
SLOT 16 : open(?)
SLOT 17 : open(?)
SLOT 18 : open(?)
SLOT 19 : open(?)
SLOT 20 : open(?)

Things to note

Rules and Standards

Comments.

In the source you might noticed the following comment structure.
'summary:FunctionName
this is a single line comment, good foor quick comments on stuff.
or

#rem
'summary:ClassName
this is a multi line comment, and will be used to create documentation
for the whole project, so please drop one of these above your functions,
methods, and class's
#end

prefix

you must prefix any new class creations with a three letter signature
unique to you, mine for example is Tai_SomeClass

Art

You can use the texture packer described in this post, or just put your
own art into your games art folder.

KEY ART

game1_thumb.png

This will be used on the right hand side info box, and should be a screen shot of your gameplay.

game1_icon.png

This is the icon for your game which will be displayed on the left selection section.

game1.png
And this is the final Game Packed sprite sheet.

File Structure

Data
->fonts
->music
->sounds
->graphics
--->game1 (all your game art goes in here.)
--->game2
--->...

Sound

You can add new sounds to the sound folder, or you can use those already
there, this is an area we can cut down on some space by re-using sound
files.

Music

Geecee, has already given us some music, if anyone else wants to help
just put the music in the music folder where all games can access it.

Code Standards

Inside your game1.monkey file, other than adding a three letter prefix,
the rest is upto you, part of the appeal of this project is that its for
the community and for monkey, and seeing how people do stuff will be very
cool, that includes what personal standards they use.

Only edit your own code.

Only edit the code within game(Your number).monkey.

Open Source

the whole point of the project is to be open source, something we can show to the people coming into monkey as not only a code example, but as an example of what you can do with monkey, and showing full source is key to that.

Licence

GPL3 for all source in the project, but the media created is owned by the Authors.

Welcome to the new thread, the last one was getting a bit crazy, which is a good sign I guess :) , anway, continued here .

Change the format of the thread a bit to make it clearer I hope, if I forgot to include some important info be sure to let me know.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#2]
Awesome management Taiphoz.

My mail is patrik@ not tibit@ as I think I by misstake told you. That was why I could not access the repository at first, however google somehow manage to get me correct permissions anyway - so I assumed it was working.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#3]
I thought the Drawtext overload isn't needed anymore?

Also do we really need the prefix on the class names etc? I haven't tried it but I thought Monkey would be smart enough to allow it and since the game screen files won't refer to each other there won't be any need for the namespace.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#4]
Did ziggy add a DrawTextWidth() to FontMachine ? if not then it's still needed.

I think having the PreFix just keeps things clear and prevents the possibility of code collisions, there is a chance, since were not really saying don't do it, that some one might see a nice function or class in some one else's code and then use it, which would enforce the prefix's as an essential thing.

@Tibit yeah I fixed your e-mail , I noticed the address in your commit log was different so I changed it in the users and it worked.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#5]
@Taiphoz: As long as the main file puts each game in a private import, all submited games will be encapsulated and they won't see each other, so it would be safe to get rid of the prefix and no collisions could be possible.
Imports into a pirvate section do not populate and do not get shared.

Example:
mainfile.Monkey:
Private
Import file2
Import file3
Import file4
Public

file1:
Import mainfile
Class MyClass
   Method Draw()
   end
End

file2:
Import mainfile
Class MyClass
   Method Whatever()
   end
end

No clashes. The only possible place where a clash could be is only inside the MainFile where everthing is seens, but unless those internal classes are used there, there's nothing to worry and in this very rare situation, you can then prefixthem with the filename

file mainfile.monkey:
Private
Import file2
Import file3
Import file4
Public
Function Main()
    local b:=New file2.MyClass
End

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#6]
But like I said in the post above, that will remove the ability for some one to borrow and use a function some one else has written.

Unless they simply copy said code directly into their own file, is using a prefix really that much of a hassle? its something I do myself regularly so not something I find to be all that annoying.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#7]
My stance on the prefix/code standard thing is more towards the extra hassle to use someone else's code.

If it is written in a odd (hard to read and understand) way or has prefixes, postfixes, unexplainable names, misleading comments, and similar - then I'd like to fix that before using such code.

I have all understanding and respect that each and everyone wants to use their own code style and I see it as interesting to see how others do and I hope to learn a lot from that.

Prefixes for the purpose of name-collisions are warranted if such collisions have a likelihood to happen, and the Alias keyword will not help. However as Ziggy elegantly pointed out, there is no such concern - so they only make code less readable and using other's code is likelier to imply removing the prefix (unless they link directly within the Arcade, in which case they can simply use the Alias keyword).

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#8]
well, my main issue as I said was that I wanted people to be able to look in the other game files, possibly spot a function or class that they liked the look of and then import it into their own game.

Something I cant do if I Private the imports in the main file, and something that could cause issues if you try to import some one else's code only to find they have about 6 other classes or functions that clash with your own.

I am more than happy to Private the imports, but feel its a shame were then locking people down to having to use their own code and not being able to simply import and include extra code if they happen to like it or think its worth using.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#9]
ok I have pushed that commit out. so all the imports are Private, at least all the game's are, the one's that need to remain public remain so.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#10]
Did ziggy add a DrawTextWidth() to FontMachine ? if not then it's still needed.

I thought you extended the class here: http://code.google.com/p/monkey-touch/source/detail?r=40

I didn't want to bump Part 1, but Gil has made this post there:

Taiphoz - I have developed this little minigame to run as my website 'business card' and I was wondering if it might be considered as an entry for your project...

Couple caveats...

1. I'm using the Monkey port of Flixel flash game library
2. It's running at 800x400, to fit with the size of my logo on my website

I can probably address #2 by scaling the final game screen down for your project requirements of 640x480.

The .js file is 956kb and the data folder is 650kb, so the footprint is fairly reasonable.

Additionally, I don't currently have means to test my game on any mobile device, so I might need some help testing from someone else on the team.

Anyways, thanks for the consideration.

Cheers!

It is a great minigame (bit hard), but because he has done it in Flixel, I don't think it can be part of this project... maybe next time we can do Flixel community project? @Gil, maybe rewrite using Diddy ;)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#11]
@Therevills, Yeah what I did was pull my two methods out of my hacked fontmachine and put them in the main project source, and then just extended a class from ziggy's font machine so it all works. I think we just got our wires crossed.

Once ziggy does his own version of my code without using arrays, I will take my hacked code out and we will use his.

@Gil we would love to have your mini game in this , which I have not yet seen but will now go look for, but like therevills said, were using diddy, if possibly could you port it to diddy?

Gil(Posted 2012) [#12]
Since therevills post didn't capture the link for others, I'll include it here -> http://www.exnihilodev.com/dev

Yeah, I was wondering if this was a Diddy exclusive project...which is unfortunate if the whole intent is simply to promote Monkey and not necessarily any one particular library or framework. Hopefully this is not the final position on this...

Probably not going to rewrite the game for Diddy (no disrespect intended for that library and it's author), as I've already committed a considerable amount of effort to customize and improve my copy of Flixel to better meet my needs.

Cheers!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#13]
Yeah we made a point , well I did that were using diddy for this project so were not going to change that now at this stage, just played your game its hard but I like the idea and love how you have worked it into your site.

Like Therevilles said making the next community project use flixle is a definitive possibility, I know I wouldn't mind learning some of it, its something I have not used at all yet.

As a side note, if you have made considerable upgrades to the framework have you considered sharing them with the other flixl people ?

Anyway.. once this is out the way and done, keep a keen eye out for the next one.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#14]
I like the idea that all games use the same framework - since it makes the Educational and sharing aspect more useful.

I'd love to test Monkey Flixl out in a similar way in the future. I had not properly used diddy before and I learnt a lot from that, and it was quite easy - I didn't even read the docs I just used the intellisense in Jungle.

If you write a very small game from scratch for the competition, it only takes a few hours. Converting a game from one framework to another might be more of a challenge and that was probably not the intention of this project & the rule to use the diddy framework.

Then instead of using Diddy you can use mojo directly, for a simple game that works also! :)

And next time we might go with HG for the code. Benefit is that people can learn that in the process. Knowing more frameworks/tools/strategies often makes deciding on one or the other easier.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#15]
well that didnt take long, my net connection died while trying to commit some changes, now the files are locked and I cant seem to update, commit or unlock them. ??

any suggestions ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#16]
Got my changes in, had to delete my local copy, create a new repository and then update it , still have an empty folder in my drive that I cant delete but at least i never lost any code.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#17]
Updated the OP with revision 63 for download , for those not using svn.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#18]
I might host the game for a little bit to let people test it. see our progress in a more natural and live setting.

stay tuned :)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#19]
BTW If we are planning on uploading Monkey Touch to the Monkey Coder App section we need the zip file to be no larger than 20MB...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#20]
Most of that sise is my, I have my sprites packed into the atlas but I have the raw sprite in the repo as well so that I can make changes, once im done with the art it will all be packed into that atlas and a lot of space will get free-ed up.

While were on the subject I sent you a mail.. about this..

Loading /game1/game1.txt
Error loading Atlas graphics//game1/game1.txt 0=0
Monkey Runtime Error : Error loading Atlas graphics//game1/game1.txt 0=0

?<?>

seems flash has an issue with the atlas, everything else compiles but flash throws a hissy fit.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#21]
I'm really not that worried about space at the moment, I will make sure my own game comes in around the 1 meg mark, as long as the other s try the same we should be fine.

Even if we have to drop to the total games from 20 to 10 or 15 that should give us enough wiggle room to squeeze into the monkey site.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#22]
I've fixed the Flash issue, in main.monkey you had:
path = ("/game" + g + "/game" + g + ".txt")

Diddy adds the first forward slash for you so the final path became:
graphics//game1/game1.txt

And Flash doesnt like two forward slashes together. The fix is this:
path = ("game" + g + "/game" + g + ".txt")

I've committed this fix :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#23]
Ah nice one mate thanks very much..

EDIT - ...

For those of you who want to save game state data, like a score table, or a single score like me, you can use the code bellow, be sure you use "game(your number)/somedata.dat" as your filename so we dont have any clash's in the final state string.

[monkeycode]
Method Load:bool()
Local filein:FileStream
Local filehandler:FileSystem
filehandler = FileSystem.Create()

if filehandler.FileExists("game1/score.dat")

filein = filehandler.ReadFile("game1/score.dat")
if filein
HighScore = filein.ReadInt()
'Print "Loading Score " + HighScore
End if

Else
Self.Save()
EndIf

End Method

Method Save:void()
Local fileout:FileStream
Local filehandler:FileSystem
filehandler = FileSystem.Create()

fileout = filehandler.WriteFile("game1/score.dat")
'Print "Saving Score " + HighScore
fileout.WriteInt(HighScore)

filehandler.SaveAll()

End Method
[/monkeycode]

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#24]
I could use a hand here guys, seems my game, game1.monkey has some sort of index error when run in html5, if you get to level 3 or possibly 4 on html5 it just crashes out.

I have ZERO clue what might be causing this and would love suggestions or a fix if you know what it is.

Source is committed and updated in the rep so you just need to download it via monkey code, or the download link at the top of this thread.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#25]
OK guys, my game is now finished. so need games from you lot now so we can get this moving...

if you have code to add but dont want to use svn feel free to e-mail it to me or upload it and give us a link to download it, and I will add it to the project..

Samah(Posted 2012) [#26]
Sigh... trying to check in my code, but because I originally checked it out using http (rather than https), it won't let me give authentication details.
*cough*wouldn'thavethisproblemwithmercurial*cough* :)

Edit: Done.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#27]
looking forward to seeing it all in action..

Samah(Posted 2012) [#28]
You can see my semi-entity-based system in action there. I'll likely clean up that EntityPool class at some stage and add it to Diddy. I was originally using Touhou sprites but I thought I'd better remove them for checkin. :)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#29]
@Taiphoz, I've just played your minigame and its good, but a couple of things:

* You arent using delta timing to move your sprites:
[monkeycode] 'summary:Move Player Left
Method MoveLeft:Void()
Self.x -= 4
End[/monkeycode]
Should be:[monkeycode] Self.x -= 4 * dt.delta[/monkeycode]

* And its pretty hard to see the green alien bullets with all the green sparks around...

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#30]
@therevills - is dt a global from which I can access delta time in diddy? (Because I never found delta time)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#31]
is dt a global from which I can access delta time in diddy

Yes, its declared as Global in the framework.monkey file of Diddy:
[monkeycode]' Used for delta timing movement
Global dt:DeltaTimer[/monkeycode]

And the DeltaTimer class is borrowed from James :)
[monkeycode]
'summary: DeltaTimer by James Boyd
Class DeltaTimer
Field targetfps:Float = 60
Field currentticks:Float
Field lastticks:Float
Field frametime:Float
Field delta:Float

Method New (fps:Float)
targetfps = fps
lastticks = Millisecs()
End

Method UpdateDelta:Void()
currentticks = Millisecs()
frametime = currentticks - lastticks
delta = frametime / (1000.0 / targetfps)
lastticks = currentticks
End
End[/monkeycode]

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#32]
AWesome, do I need to call UpdateDelta() or does diddy do this for me?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#33]
do I need to call UpdateDelta() or does diddy do this for me?

Nope, Diddy calls it for you. Sorry should have put that on the previous post. Also Diddy internally uses the delta timing eg for Sprites, Fading etc.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#34]
Iv never used it, not using it in Terminal 2 either, I Kinda knew it was there just never had the need to use it.

It was something I would have looked at if I suffered frame rate loss which I don't so..

Do you really think it's necessary ? if so then I will add it as it's showing off that diddy does it which I am cool with.

let me know.

[EDIT -- ]
Never mind, I did it anyway, added DT to the about page scroll, as well as my own code, at least I think I got all the move calls , im still a little tired lol.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#35]
Hey what happened to my game? Everything looks wierd, as if the images are no longer centered like before?

Did something change in the main-file?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#36]
nothing that would affect your game.. at least nothing I can think of that would affect your game.

I assumed you were working on it and thats why it was kinda un finished.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#37]
Have you checked it out now? It is all wierd, could it be something with the load images using the texture packer? Some setting?

It is as if everything is midHandled or something.

I got it!

It is the LoadAtlas function.

if I set the last parameter to false my game runs like it should. Could you add a IF-Statement so my (Game7) has false as a parameter there?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#38]
I can but would it not be better for you to just use them images ass mid handled?

just positions everything based on its x+width/2 and Y+height/2 saves me changing the main file.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#39]
better yet just change the handle, setHandle on the images your using that will be better than changing your positioning.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#40]
[monkeycode]
RoadImage = game.images.Find("game7_road")
RoadImage.SetHandle(0, 0)
[/monkeycode]

Gil(Posted 2012) [#41]
My best wishes on your current project. I'll look for you doing something similar with Flixel for Monkey down the road a bit. Then I'll be able to contribute. Cheers!

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#42]
Taiphoz, I can change my code. Since I found now that was the issue it is an easy fix, np :)

Yeah, next time I vote for Fixel + HG + an image bank + a sound bank :D

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#43]
Well, if this goes well and we actually get enough people taking part then it could become a summer, and winter event.

My Grand Plans are that we do one in Summer during July , and then one in Winter During December with the end of the month being the cut off date for both, the ludumdare people knock games out in a few days so a month is more than enough.

I wana make sure this one works first tho before I start planning anything else, no point in planning for more if we cant get the first one off the ground, so its like a test for the idea.

We could also use themes, get Mark or some one from BRL to pick a theme and that would then be the rule for each entry , that it needs to use that theme in some way.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#44]
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the finnished Arcade :)

I think this will be a SuperB way to test Monkey, for both performance and even more importantly smoothness of the development process.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#45]
bah I just cant wait to see more people sending code in, just me at the moment and your car thing feels a bit bleak at the moment.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#46]
Re: Delta Timing... Do you really think it's necessary ?

Oh yes! If you want you game to run at the same speed on the different targets you need to use a timing method.

Yeah, next time I vote for Fixel + HG + an image bank + a sound bank :D

You do know that Diddy uses an Image bank and a Sound bank too? game.images and game.sounds are the internal banks, which get filled when loading images/atlases and sounds ;)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#47]
I think we should set the cut off for this now to August 30th. after that point I will compile all the code , trim out the box's on the select screen that are not being used and clean it up for release.

a month should be more than enough time for people to finish off their projects.

unless anyone objects.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#48]
set the cut off for this now to August 30th

Sounds good to me :)

Samah(Posted 2012) [#49]
@Taiphoz: unless anyone objects.

Deadlines give me incentive to finish a project. :)

Samah(Posted 2012) [#50]
Look what the "svnsync" and "hg convert" commands did for me:

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#51]
did I break something ?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#52]
did I break something ?

I dont think so, Samah is just showing us that we can convert Monkey Touch to Hg easily...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#53]
ah, yeah lol all this source control stuff still swims a little over my head , but im learning ..

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#54]
hahaha I'm actually just looking at my commit messages, and having a laugh to myself.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#55]
Haha by soundBank I meant A Folder full of sounds (which we do have in this project), with Image Bank I meant a texturemap full of images - not the class to handle it all. In that way one can pick from graphics and sounds quickly. Would be perfect if we find some really cool professional free image library that could be used for that purpose.

Diddy's SoundBank/ImageBank are great - what I am curious about is Fixel's built-in map editor, camera system and simple collision system.

However diddy seems to have what Fixel don't and fixel lacks a lot of what diddy have - so maybe both would be the best of both worlds! :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#56]
I tried to get some stock sprites for us to use but it was no use unless i made them myself and then I would not have been able to enjoy the code cos if have been drawing all the time.

December isnt that far off I might start building up a little stock pile of art for a possible MonkeyTouch Winter 2012.

lets get this one out the way first tho.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#57]
Little update, we don't need to worry about the blitz site size limit, clearly we still need to try and keep things low but we have room to breath past the limit the site imposes .

Thanks Simon.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#58]
nvm ....

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#59]
Steve your game is throwing a tiled xml error. do we need to update diddy ? I was sure I had the latest, possible you have something locally that you aint committed to the repo yet?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#60]
Whats the error?

I have recently made a changed to allow the tileset images to be store in a subfolder within the graphics folder - I did add a note to the Monkey Touch regarding this.

http://code.google.com/p/monkey-touch/source/detail?r=123

Comment by project member therevillsgames, Yesterday (35 hours ago)

Requires at least version r459 of Diddy

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#61]
just went to mu local diddy svn did a fresh update on it to get the latest

I also pulled your latest commits from the touch repo.

have you updated the google code repo with the changes you made ?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#62]
Everything is updated on my side.

Can you try deleting your build folder?

Also what files do you see in main.data/graphics/game8?

Do you see level1.tmx? If you edit level1.tmx what is the data encoding set to?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#63]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
and of course your tileset, plus the files that would be in there anyway, the icons and such.

Deleting my build folder was the first thing I tried.

oh encoding is <data encoding="csv"> just in case it was this line you needed.

Samah(Posted 2012) [#64]
Just tested it out with the latest MonkeyTouch and Diddy and...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#65]
hmm... I will delete my local diddy in full , build folder, and all touch files related to steves game and then update them all and see if that works.

EDIT - Ah i didnt notice the change made to main.monkey, works now. what exactly does that filter do , its not something iv had to use yet. ??

Samah(Posted 2012) [#66]
The TEXT_FILES filter tells trans which text-only file extensions it should copy from your data folder. I believe text files are cached in the Javascript too.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#67]
Least it was a small issue, but a bit hard to debug. Its something I've been meaning to fix for awhile now so I've done it now :)

If Diddy cannot load the tiled map file we now wont get the "Tiled Raw XML is not supported" message, but we will get "Cannot load tile map file <filename>" message.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#68]
tower defense stuff is looking real nice, did you make the tile set yourself ?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#69]
tower defense stuff is looking real nice, did you make the tile set yourself ?

Ta :) Its the first time I've coded a TD. Nah, the tileset is from Lost Garden's Hard Vacuum images. Must remember to credit them when I do the title screen ;)

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#70]
Do we need to make it Touch only? Game #1 has keyboard... so I ask. This will probably determine what game I try to make.

I'm new to Monkey, Diddy, and not an OOP expert, so I will be a silent participant unless I get something worthwhile together before the deadline.

And I will be stealing a lot of your code to get mine to work. :)

Thanks for any clarification.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#71]
Does not need to be a touch only game but would be good if you added some touch controls.

And the code is there to help people like you so go for it .

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#72]
I have allocated you slot 11 so please only edit game11.monkey and it's graphics folder and have fun

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#73]
I think someone already took game11 in the SVN ?
Thanks for the slot hopefully I will fill it. :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#74]
if they did then take 12. i will go check tho

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#75]
Yeah your right it was me hahahah. DOH!, I forgot I did that. yeah game 12 then my bad sorry..

invaderJim(Posted 2012) [#76]
@tiresius

Would you be the same tiresius from the TGC boards? If so, your skills will be very welcomed here in the Monkey community :D (I am Jimmy there, btw)

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#77]
Yes I am the same tiresius. Well met!
Looking forward to doing some mobile/flash games and becoming more familiar with OOP methods. I'm enjoying Monkey a lot so far!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#78]
Just need your google email if you use it and I. An add you to the s n for. Commit access

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#79]
(So much for being a silent participant. The pressure is on!)

papgar@...
Thanks!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#80]
I have made a change the main game UI, and how the games that are preset will be displayed, screen shot in the OP has been updated, and the files and source have also been committed.

to select a game just slide the list up or down and click play on the selected tile.

this change allows us to have as many or as few games as we like without leaving gaps and spaces on a grid.

ENJOY!..

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#81]
30 Days to go people.. we still need code from

SLOT 2 : Slenker
SLOT 3 : GeeCee3
SLOT 4 : skn3
SLOT 5 : Karja
SLOT 6 : Fryman
SLOT 8 : therevills
SLOT 9 : Samah
SLOT 10 : Neuro
SLOT 12 : tiresius

Karja(Posted 2012) [#82]
Well, I'm going to Bulgaria for a week of mischief tomorrow - so you won't be seeing anything from me for at least two weeks, unfortunately :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#83]
added this link to the OP.. I will update my local dropbox folder with updates so people can play test it as new code gets added.

PLAY IT NOW

therevills(Posted 2012) [#84]
I cant seem to scroll the games with the new UI... testing from your dropbox link.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#85]
left click and hold on the area where the games are listed, then drag up or down.

works here in chrome I think I know what the problem is and it should be an easy fix if its still not working after you try the above let me know and I will change the code.

seems like MouseDown and TouchDown are not created equal.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#86]
Ah, I was trying to move the arrow down... D'oh!

BTW It looks like you might need to update your version of Diddy again ;)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#87]
lol yeah im not surprised what you added this time ?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#88]
Just a useful cleanup method called "Kill" for screens :)

BTW I'm a tad worried by the amount of time the application takes to load. Maybe we need to separate the title screen from the games. I'm even thinking that the title should just be a simple HTML(with JS) to launch the games.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#89]
I think it might be better keeping it in and adding some sort of loading bar which will then work for the other targets.

If we separate it like that then a windows build would be out, as well as some of the other targets.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#90]
I think the Arcade ads a lot of charm, and this project is a good example on how monkey handle larger games.

Dynamic loading of content might be something that would improve performance and reduce app size on all platforms.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#91]
At the moment all game alta's files are loaded at as the main app starts, this pulls in all their icons , and as each games screen is created te game data gets populated.

We can separate the atlas's for icons and screen shot tiles, from each games media and then only load each games media as that game runs, which will speed up the loading times.

Also were needlessly loading 20 games when we only need the data for 11 or 12 so when we come to finalizing things stripping those un-used games out will speed loading times up once again.

Fryman(Posted 2012) [#92]
Ok I broke it, can anyone remove the junk folder ive accidentally created in the repository.

On the plus side ive commited a basic working version of the game I intend to finish for this project

therevills(Posted 2012) [#93]
Ok I broke it, can anyone remove the junk folder ive accidentally created in the repository.

I've removed them for you. If you are using TortoiseSVN it very easy to remove files, just right click the file/folder select TortoiseSVN delete and the next time you commit it will delete those files from SVN.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#94]
looking good :)

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#95]
Is it OK to use sound and music from other games for the arcade?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#96]
Is it OK to use sound and music from other games for the arcade?

I would say yes, but ask the person first and credit them if they allow it.

Hows everyone going btw?

I've now got XML waves working pretty well and the enemies stats are loaded from XML too :)

30th of August isnt that far away now...

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#97]
I think I'll be able to make the date with my entry #12. I too will be looking into XML for the enemy statistics. I hope you don't mind, I will probably be stealing your implementation. :)

By the way, Game #1 is broken right now when I tried it out, the enemies jump down too quickly. Anybody else see it?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#98]
I too will be looking into XML for the enemy statistics. I hope you don't mind, I will probably be stealing your implementation. :)

Go for it :)

the enemies jump down too quickly. Anybody else see it?

Yep, I've seen that too, its happens now and again.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#99]
any specifics on when it happens?

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#100]
It happens to me on the very first wave in the very first game after the page loads. I click the PLAY NOW link above, click Play button and then the right side of the title screen to start game, and the first wave immediately crashes down past the player. I have also had it happen where the wave started ON the player level in the middle of the game.

I have also had it crash with issues when the player was in a dead state and the level switches to a new wave, but that only happened once. Sorry I can't be more specific. The first scenario happens every time.

I thought your game was in the App Forums as well? I don't see it or I'd try that version too.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#101]
I've just found out that our game files are not Strict-ed... even though main.monkey file is, so I recommend you add "Strict" to the top of your game file.

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#102]
Is there any other way to code? ;)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#103]
And the final count down begins...

10 days...

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#104]
Would anybody have some font machine fonts they would like to share? I'm looking for retro style / old rpg type font. The fonts available are too fancy for the "style" I'm trying to get at.

I'm not bringing a lot to the table graphics-wise but if people could upload fonts used in their games sooner rather than later, perhaps some of us can share them? :)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#105]
I've slightly fixed up the title screen to work with multiple resolutions.

To test your games with a different resolution change main.monkey:

SetGraphics(640, 480)

to

SetGraphics(800, 600)

A few of the games don't work that well with a different resolution ;)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#106]
5 days to go...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#107]
not looking like were going to have as many entries as we thought which is a real shame, still time tho.

invaderJim(Posted 2012) [#108]
Easy solution: Extend the deadline :D

Also, we miss you in IRC, Taiphoz :(

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#109]
Yeah man things have been real crazy here for the past week or two, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel tho so another week or so and I should be back to idling and chatting away on IRC, and working in monkey as well which iv not touched for a bit.

I'm just luck iv been able to keep tabs on the forums.

I'm up for extending the deadline if we think more people actually still want to to submit stuff, so if your working on something and have not added it or finished it yeat, and im looking at most of the names in the list, give us a shout, can you finish ? or should we take your name off, or do you want more time..

let us know.

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#110]
I should be able to make Aug 30, but it will be tight. I would benefit from more time to make it better, of course. I've used this project to learn Monkey, a bit of OOP design, and some parts of Diddy. So far I'm having a blast! A deadline forces me to keep at it and not procrastinate so whatever you decide will be fine by me. :)

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#111]
Hi Taiphoz-
If we could extend this to the weekend (Sept 1st) that would me give a bit more time to balance the game out and make it more playable. If others need time I hope they will speak up too.

And I may have missed the spirit of this thing, as my game is approaching 2000 lines of code. :-/ This is without a lot of documentation (which I still plan to do).

therevills(Posted 2012) [#112]
My game should be "finished" tonight, I just have to add a few more levels and change the Well Done/Game Over screens... also add comments to the code.

Samah(Posted 2012) [#113]
Unfortunately, Guild Wars 2 just came out.. .we'll see how I go.... :)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#114]
Unfortunately

Excuses, excuses ;)

Samah(Posted 2012) [#115]
Yeah, having the weekend to finish it off would be cool... ;)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#116]
Are we calling time or do we have the weekend? ;)

Samah(Posted 2012) [#117]
I hope we have the weekend, or I won't have it finished in time... XD

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#118]
I uploaded my game to SVN but I still need to add sound effects (and code doc). I will take whatever I can get from the standard pool of sounds first. It is late here, and I'd like to see if the game works for everyone.

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#119]
Just added sound effects that I made from the widget on this site:
http://www.bfxr.net/

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#120]
Is there an issue with me posting a version of my game as an app here on monkeycoder ? I spent a good amount of time on the game so I'd like it to show up on my app list, if that is cool to do.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#121]
I dont think theres an issue doing that, Taiphoz did it himself.

The plan was that once everyone was finished, MonkeyTouch itself was going to be added to MonkeyCoder.

But quite a few people have not added their games... :(

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#122]
Well maybe this can float into the Monkey Touch 2012 instead of just "Summer", although I'd have to change my title screen. :)

I like open source and I am more than happy to share my code but the GPL license is a bit of a pain if I'm going to tweak my game and put it elsewhere (monkeycoder, my website, etc.) I will have to supply the modified source (de-linking it from MonkeyTouch) wherever this thing goes now. :/

I'm not complaining just wondering if there is a different licensing option that gives freedom to share but doesn't bind the author to that freedom forever. LOL

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#123]
I was fine with no licence but it was kinda forced onto me so were kinda stuck with it.

Yeah extending time and making a 2012 thing rather than summer is cool with me I just wana see it all finished , its a shame some people put their names in but then have not been able to even submit a line of code.

come on guys you know who you are. were not looking for the next minecraft here just bash something out and submit it.

:)

I'm gona make a new thread this one has gotten epic.

TheRedFox(Posted 2012) [#124]
Ah, checking out the code right now. May be a while before I can get up to speed but still, will tell you once okay :)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#125]
I'm no fan of GPL, but I think you would be okay to use your own code in any way as the developer. The Gnu faqs say:

"I would like to release a program I wrote under the GNU GPL, but I would like to use the same code in non-free programs. (#ReleaseUnderGPLAndNF)

To release a non-free program is always ethically tainted, but legally there is no obstacle to your doing this. If you are the copyright holder for the code, you can release it under various different non-exclusive licenses at various times."

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#126]
Hay all..

I think its been more than enough time now and I am uploading a copy of what we have at the moment to the apps section, it will be going up with the blanks or missing games in place with any luck it might spur some people on to finish off their entries lol poke poke.

If the upload fails (due to size) I will e-mail it along to one of the team to get it up as I recall they said they would help us out if it was to big.

Anyway..

I just wanted to say Thank you to all of you who wanted to take part, and to all of you who managed to submit content, this project would have been a waste of time if it were not for you guys, so thanks.

I hope that we can do this again soon, thanks again.
oh and sorry this took me so long to post, be kinda swamped.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#127]
ok tried a number of times to get the zip file to upload and work, even took steps to make sure it was bellow the 20 meg limit and still no joy.

I have e-mailed simon I think, but no joy from that either. will give it another day or two and then try again.

no idea why I seem to be the only one that ever has issues with the app submission systems its so annoying.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#128]
A bit late, but I've cloned the repo over to GitHub:

https://github.com/therevills/monkey-touch/tree/master