Setting Starting Point on Sound Channel

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Setting Starting Point on Sound Channel

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#1]
I have been puttering around with a realtime granular synthesizer that runs within Monkey. It would be very useful to me to be able to set the point in a sample that a sound channel is currently playing.

Is there any way to do this? It seems that it might be an extremely trivial addition.

I'll explain a little bit about granular synthesis and why I want this addition. Granular synthesis, very briefly, works by playing snippets of waveforms, in various sequences and at various speeds. This is how sound stretchers that do not change the pitch work. Also let's say you have a sample of someone speaking. With granular synthesis you can construct musical "instruments" from this by playing snippets of the speech over and over, very fast. To do this, ideally, you would initially set the sound channel to the place you wanted, play it until the end of the desired snippet, and then loop back to the origin. You would do this again and again as long as you wanted to play the "note."

I can already do some rather interesting things with realtime synthesis in Monkey by having my Blitzmax sound creation tool chop up the wave into numerous small sound files, then load these with monkey. They are very tiny files. At the end of the day, if this is too big of an addition, it's really not that big of a deal to me. But it would be nice to be able to set the current point in the sample within Monkey.

Also is there any way to set replay frequency to more than one octave up or down?

Samah(Posted 2012) [#2]
Yeah.... good luck doing that with Android. :)
I'll just leave this here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3434

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#3]
Well that's discouraging.

That's ok though, it's just a "for fun" project.

Anyone know of anyone who has written synths entirely in Blitz?