How is the progress on the Metro target going?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/How is the progress on the Metro target going?

hsutuo(Posted 2012) [#1]
I'm very interested ;)

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#2]
I loaded up Windows 8 on a test unit and I like it so far. It is FAST! Glad there is going to be a Metro target.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#3]
I wana know if a Metro app will run on a Win Mobile without any tweaks to the code.

If they can nail that, with a single store selling apps for desktop, and mobile I think they could really make an impact on their mobile phone market.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#4]
metro is suppose to work on WP8, but will not be backward compatible to WP7.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#5]
Now as the new phones come closer I'm curious how the new Win 8 target comes along? Mark? :)

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#6]
I just watched the keynote and I am going to get a Nokia 920 on day one. I just need to figure out which color ;)

Should be a good time to get some apps going. I am very interested in releasing for this platform too.

dooz(Posted 2012) [#7]
I didn't see a response here. Is the Metro target coming soon?

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#8]
The Windows 8 target is well underway! I've got most of the core functionality going - graphics, audio etc - and I'll hopefully have something for people to play with when Windows 8 is released at the end of Oct.

Windows Phone 8 will probably be a while later. Microsoft have only released the SDK to 'key' developers, but in theory it'll be much the same as Windows 8 so hopefully there will be minimal changes required (on my part).

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#9]
That's fab news, thank you Mark

dooz(Posted 2012) [#10]
Are you targeting Windows 8 RT platform? I've been told that this is the platform for Metro and mobile, but will also run on Windows 8 full in Metro mode. Apparently, with minor annotations you can get a full version of Windows desktop apps as well.

dooz(Posted 2012) [#11]
Great work by the way!

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#12]
Windows 8 SDKs are out now, as far as I see for WP8, too.

I'm just curious, is it possible to submit WP7 apps to the store?

Ironstorm(Posted 2012) [#13]
Yeah, it's possible.
All Windows Phone 7 apps will run on Windows Phone 8.

But in future you have to choose whether to make an app that only uses Windows Phone 7 features and works on both, or one that uses Windows Phone 8 features. You can't submit WP8 apps to the WP7 store.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#14]
in that case for the most part it would be wise to do all wp7 stuff until the wp8 hits saturation and then switch to wp8, i doubt there are any really ground breaking and must have features in 8 that games cant live without so it should be all good..

I am actually looking forward to installing windows 8 on this pc, just wondering if I should format first, upgrade, or stick it on another partition.

Ironstorm(Posted 2012) [#15]
In-App Purchases will only be available on the upcoming Windows Phone 8, as i know. You can implement it in your WP7 app, but it will only be available on WP8 devices.

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#16]
Is there any news on this? :)

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#17]
I very much want the Metro target as well.

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#18]
I just got a Surface RT and it is good, the touch cover works well, would be great if actual TED and monkey where compiled for Arm so that we could make Apps on the Surface itself.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#19]
I got a Surface too and it is very nice. Just got my Nokia 920 ordered today and it will be here Friday, it looks amazing!

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#20]
I'm very interested in the Surface target. Do we have a timeframe on that?

Thanks!

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#21]
I'm still enjoying my Surface, got RemoteApp working so I can now run Monkey/Jungle on the Surface and build apps!