problem fading overlapping PNGs images

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/problem fading overlapping PNGs images

Winter Wolves(Posted 2012) [#1]
I have a problem that I am not sure if can be solved easily (or at all) but I guess asking doesn't hurt.

I have a sprite composed by different layers, like a base body, hair, eyes, etc. The problem is when I want to fade it to transparent, the various parts of the body merge one over the other during the fade.

I mean is not like is a single image fading, but you see the various sprites with the alpha summed and the effect is a bit ugly to watch :)

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if there's a way to fade out several transparent overlapping sprites so that they look a single image ?

Beaker(Posted 2012) [#2]
That is a common problem with segmented animations (both 2d and 3d). I doubt there is a fix for this in monkey as of yet. A common solution is to composite a still of the parts at their current position into one image, and then display and fade that. But monkey doesn't yet allow you to render to an image.

Winter Wolves(Posted 2012) [#3]
Ah yes that was the term "render to an image/texture". Yes, until it supports that I don't think there is a solution then :(