DebugPassThrough

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/DebugPassThrough

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#1]
Could we have something to make the GLFW debug builds run faster? The whole debug build has a drastically reduced FPS compared to the release build. I mean, it's too much difference.
As I'm aware you already know very well, some languages allow a DebugPassThrough directive on methods in order to force a "release" mode compilation on them even when the compiler is on debug mode. Maybe this could be implemented and attached to mojo drawing routines and lists ForEach operations (and the like) in order toimprove performance in a noticeable way on Debug builds of the GLFW target.

I'm currently building a GUI system and this general slowing down is making the whole thing a bit complicated to debug.

If this suggestion is not the solution, nor a good idea, maybe something else could be done, but I truly thing it would be a very good idea to make "something" in this area, in order to get some speed improvements.

Maybe something like:
Class MyClass
   #DebugPassThrough
   Method DoSomething()
      'Debugging disabled here
   End

Method Another
      'Debugging enabled here
   End
End
Or even a way to enable/disable "debug" in a per-module basis using compiler directives?

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#2]
debug is nice cos it compiles quickly, how about a choice of -o3 or whatever compiler directives in the config.txt?

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hi,

I'll have a look into debug speed soon-ish.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#4]
Great!