Social revenue generators (external libs)

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Social revenue generators (external libs)

pantson(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi

Following on from a quick post by CK, I thought I would start a new thread on why and what we should be using to help. All my experience is on Android so other thoughts and libs would be welcome

I've been looking at a few external plugins and they all bring their own benefits.
So far I haven't looked an any IAP platforms.. maybe soon

Heres my run down on what AppyTimes use and why..

AD networks
1) Admob - easy to use revenue generator. JAR file, few lines of code to get working
2) Chartboost - Full screen ads, easy to implement. JAR file, few lines of code. Can get annoying displaying these so be careful.
3) MobClix - We did use this, but all ads being displayed were for a particular UK loan company and didn't think it was portraying the correct image for our games

Social networks
1) Openfeint - Took a while to get working but now can be added to our projects with a few lines of code. Provides Highscores and achievements plus social talk on the openfient network
2) Socialize - JAR file, few lines of code. Easy to use plugin that allows liking, comments and posts on Socialize, Facebook and Twitter networks
3) Gree looks like openfeint with Socialize. This maybe the way to go in future
4) I once looked at scoreloop, but not for about a year. Must look back at it.

[UPDATE]
Other suggested plugins
1) Playphone - cross platform, online highscores, achievements and multiplayer. Looks quite easy to integrate

All platforms have been utilised with Android and I haven't looked at any iOS yet. (my code compiles in HTML5 but only with dummy functions)

Why should we all look at these plugins?
========================================
I've found that now we can all self publish, there are no publishers that will take on sales and marketing for you. Its all down to ourselves to push our products on people. The above Social networking plugins can help with word of mouth. All it takes is someone influential to post on their facebook or twitter feeds and downloads can increase dramitcally. (I have yet to experience that though lol)
After playing with Openfient and Socialize, my game ideas tend towards social play now rather than single play (even though there is still no multiplayer)
Openfeint may have multiplayer options (as its greyed out on the dashboard) for turn based battles.

dave.h(Posted 2012) [#2]
pubcenter for the windows 7 phones is very good.I find i get many times more downloads on windows phones and pubcenter brings in a nice amount of revenue every month.There is a good tutorial here from xaron.

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=2036#25652

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#3]
Rich,

1. I think GREE is replacing OpenFeint. I'm not sure how much longer the OpenFeint platform is going to function, altho it still works in Girrafic Park. Have they told you how much longer OpenFeint will be available?

2. Do you have modules for the ad and social networks you are using that you can share? I would love to get started with social and ads and in-app purchasing functionality in my game ASAP.

THANK YOU! :-)

pantson(Posted 2012) [#4]
I have posted up a module for Admob previously http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=2185

There is also an OpenFient plugin thread that I have contributed too http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1708&

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#5]
Rich, you should probably add Playphone to your list of mobile social APIs. They look pretty good.

pantson(Posted 2012) [#6]
cheers c.k

not another one ;-) I'll look into it later but looks quite cool

Must finish off other projects first and then play ;-)

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#7]
LOL. The space is ripe with competition!

I just meant for you to add Playphone to the list in your original message, so we can keep a running record of legitimate possibilities.

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#8]
More ads/rewards options:

Playhaven
Kiip