Networking for Turn Based Game?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Networking for Turn Based Game?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#1]
How difficult, in general, is networking for a turn-based strategy game like a card game?

My plan is to have turns stored and mediated on a server with results sent out to clients.

Thoughts on this? Is there a suggested API? Ideally I would use Python on the server end.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#2]
In that case I really would choose Pubnub which I have already integrated for HTML5 and Android in my MNet lib. I still work on the iOS port and GLFW isn't a biggy as well.

There are already APIs for Python, so you could easily use that as well. For turn based games you should not overcome that 1 mio message "limit" for the free version there.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#3]
Well that was easy.

For turn based games you should not overcome that 1 mio message "limit" for the free version there.

What are you referring to there? Is that a limit with PubNub?

PubNub looks amazing.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#4]
No. There's no limit with Pubnub. But up to 1 mio messages per month are free.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#5]
LOLWUT? It's $15/month plus $1 per million messages?

That's LOLWUT. Sold.

That's perfect. For a card game I'd be happy paying 10 times that for messages.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#6]
No. 1 mio messages are really free. Just signup.

http://www.pubnub.com/pricing

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#7]
Oh no I saw that but over that it appears to be $1 for a million messages which is an extremely trivial price. It would cost 100 times that just for any sort of conventional hosting.

My concern would be tight integration with a service that might not be around forever.

Thinking about writing a collectible card game...

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#8]
Well good thing about Pubnub is that you don't have to care about connection handling. When there is a disonnect no messages are lost.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#9]
WOW! they have really changed the pricing for the better!!! That pay as you go price is extremely reasonable!

Armitage1982(Posted 2012) [#10]
So each time a player is using your game in Networking mode he's using your monthly quota that's right?

And what about WiFi or Bluetooth client to client Networking? Does Mnet, PubNub or another module allow you to play multiplayer game this way yet?

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#11]
No. I haven't integrated Bluetooth yet. Pubnub neither does.

I will add this to MNet sooner or later.

Armitage1982(Posted 2012) [#12]
Does that mean it is somewhat possible with Wifi?

I think on iOS there is also the Game Center framework that offer a peer-to-peer connectivity, but I guess all of this need to be ported.

Volker(Posted 2012) [#13]
I've just seen that pubnub changed their sandbox offer to 'dev and testing only'. And it's not allowed to use it for deployed apps.
So it costs at least 15,-- each month.
Such a pity..

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#14]
That's still nothing.