Jungle Ide tutorials

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Jungle Ide tutorials

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#1]
I'm planing on making some video tutorials for Jungle Ide and, the problem I'm facing is that, being the Jungle Ide developer I can't properly see what are the areas of the IDE that needs more explanation to get people started. I was wondering if any of the Jungle IDE or Jungle Lite users here can give me some advice on what are the areas of the IDE that they wish they could have seen a tutorial for, in order to get started quick and in order to help being productive.

If there's anything you wish you have known before discovering it, I would love to include it in some of the tutorials.

jpoag(Posted 2012) [#2]
Hot keys.

I would've liked to known the workflow and auto complete stuff before hand. I personally toggled the 'Start newline on when pressing Enter on AutoLists' to false.

You could show a small program from beginning to end using the 'New Temporary monkey file'. Explain how the autocompletetion works and how to build the file using hotkeys.

Then a Tutorial on Workspaces, how to set them up, what the different options mean, how to add new files in specific sub folders, how to compile the current project as opposed to the current file, etc....

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#3]
Good Idea, I'll start with a general workflow tutorial.

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#4]
I would be interested in management, maybe that is the same as workflow. What I mean is tips for example setting up a new game project and set up a library project in the modules folder connected to that and also best practices for using the documentation generation.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#5]
yeah do something on the Solutions, it took me a little while to get my head round what you were doing after coming from max, so a video might have sped things up.

I might also consider doing one on the documentation and how to make it look better via editing the css, people like nice documents, at least I know I do.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#6]
Thanks for the ideas. I'm making a list of things, any more suggestions are welcome!

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#7]
I second the solution video. The difference between managed and unmanaged and explain the structure of having projects within the solution with maybe an example of a larger project and how it looks.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#8]
Now that I'm planing all this, does anybody else consideres that a regular text (and maybe captures) tutorial is better than a video one?
I have a prove of concept, but I think it is harder to follow if you have to be stopping the video, etc. any suggestions are welcome.... ?

Tibit(Posted 2012) [#9]
I think that watching a video (optimally highlight what you do by adding arrows and text) gives a good idea on how to do something step-by-step, that in turn usually is a good way to explain a concept. Parts that needs to be explained in text or code-only might be better without an video.

Stopping a tutorial video is usually not a problem, I do that a lot when I follow video tutorials.