Jungle Ide coloring improvements

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Jungle Ide coloring improvements

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#1]
I'm finishing a context-based text renderer for Jungle Ide. This new parser allows this kind of colorization:

As you can see, the same word can have different meanings depending on its scope and new Jungle Ide version will be able to handle this, so you'll be able to know if a symbol is a local variable, a const, a method, a funtion, etc. depending on its color or rendering style.
This is possible by adding a secondary parsing phase after the code lexing, wich can be very slow on complex projects. Jungle Ide has a cache system for this, that allows for fast rendering on regular computers, but there can be a slight delay between you write a word and it gets colored as a Class, Method, etc. (millisecons usually).

Hope you like it. I find it very useful. Obviously you can customize the colors and style and even disable this extra parsing phase on the preferences dialog.

Hope to have this available on the next Jungle Ide version, in addition to several stability fixes.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#2]
Yay, I love it!

tOmzone(Posted 2012) [#3]
Yo ziggy,

this is brilliant!! It makes JungleIDE so much better in my opinion and more equal to other IDEs like visual studio :)

great work

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#4]
I love Jungle. Other than knocking out a quick test, I can't imagine using monk now.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#5]
Other than knocking out a quick test, I can't imagine using monk now.
You know you can press Ctrl+Shift+N to knock out a quick test on Jungle Ide? hehe
Thanks for the possitive comments. still fine-tuning some small issues I'm finding on this new coloring renderer, but it is very close to a stable release.

tOmzone(Posted 2012) [#6]
Do you think you can get out the new version today? :D

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#7]
Do you think you can get out the new version today?
No. It won't be out today as there are still some things that need to get solved. hopefully it'll be out next week. (but thanks for the interest)

Supertino(Posted 2012) [#8]
Yes, yes now NOW!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#9]
This is great, still looking forward to the multiple word highlighting though :).

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#10]
@Neuro: this is coming very soon as it is somehow part of the same algorithm. But it won't be highlighting the same word, but actually the same word when it refers to the same data. (This will come in a second stage).

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#11]
looks cool.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#12]
It's almost ready :) I'm just fine-tuning it and adding some optimizations to make it reliable on old hardware. It now runs without any noticeable slowdown on a single core machine with a 1.7 Mhz processor (with HT) with a solution that has more than 100 files at the same time.

tOmzone(Posted 2012) [#13]
Omg, I need it NAO!
Will it come tonight, tomorrow? :)

Samah(Posted 2012) [#14]
Jungle still displays private members in the autolist. :-(

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#15]
Jungle still displays private members in the autolist
this is one of the next things I'll be improving on the lexer, not for the next update, but surely for the update after next update. I've got it working here but i'm still fine-tuning it and testing it (and still finding some very small bugs every once in a while, that's why it's not bee released into official updates yet).

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#16]
Just another small update: While I'm adding some more refactoring capabilities to the internal Monkey parser and lexer (still not available to do nice things like rename a var, but a bit closer to it). I've managed to solve lots of data type inference situations where a function, method, or anything similar was required to be calculated. EachIn still unsupported but hopefully coming soon.

wiebow(Posted 2012) [#17]
Keep it up :) anxiously waiting.

tOmzone(Posted 2012) [#18]
Yep, I also cant wait to test the new text renderer and possible color schemes.
Can we have some kind of a "pre-version" even when some aspects are unfinished?

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#19]
Jungle still displays private members in the autolist
This is mostly fixed for the next version (it was not as complicated as I thought).
Can we have some kind of a "pre-version" even when some aspects are unfinished?
Well, I'm still beta-testing it with the help of GoodLookingguy and we're trying to make this whole new parsing as stable as possible. I'm not sure you'll find it very useful if it crashes often. But, honestly, it's very stable so I supose i'll be releasing an update very soon.

EDIT: It's been released.