Custom Modules in User Defined Modules Folder

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Custom Modules in User Defined Modules Folder

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#1]
Can we do this yet? I'd like to have a preferences file that monkey can read to find all my custom modules.

For example, a file that resides with monkey.exe called "prefs.ini," that contains path declarations:

c:\mymonkeymods\

This means monkey will look in that directory for ANY modules it can't find in the default modules\ directory.

This means I no longer have to move my custom modules every single time there's an update.

Please tell me we can do this now. And tell me how! THANK YOU! :-)

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#2]
This would be handy so we don't have to copy mods over each time monkey is updated!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#3]
Something like this would be useful. But I usually just copy over the new updates into the default monkey folder each time i update so i don't have to move folders and files around too much.

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#4]
Neuro, one of the problems with that approach is that if a file gets removed from the set, it doesn't get removed from your repo. If you don't mind ghost files, no big deal. But I like keepin' my workspace it clean. :)

Another benefit of this is you can have multiple versions of Monkey available, in case an update borks your system. You can revert to a prior version quickly and easily and keep working while the bug is being fixed.

I hope this gets added. Organizational efficiency is a double-plus win.

wiebow(Posted 2012) [#5]
Pro tip:

If you are on Vista/Win7, you can use "mklink.exe /D" to create a symbolic link in the mod folder to your custom module folder. If you are running on Linux, you can also use symbolic links of course.

Samah(Posted 2012) [#6]
I assume mklink creates junctions. Junctions are nasty. :)

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#7]
It is an alright solution to use a symbolic link, but it would still be good for monkey to allow this to be configured.

http://code.google.com/p/symlinker/

You can also use this small mklink ui app to make links in vista/win7.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#8]
Maybe the default modules (monkey, mojo etc.) could be stored in a single subdirectory of the modules directory. Then you'd only have to delete that.