an online mobile app database

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/an online mobile app database

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#1]
I'm thinking of building my own, but there are services like this out there: http://www.kumulos.com/

(see also Parse, Kinvey, Cocoafish, StackMob)

Anybody have any experience with this or any others? I'm wondering if it will be worth the $10/mo/app. If I could offload the management of a remote server and the MySQL interface, that seems like it would be worth it.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#2]
No experience with these particular services but $10/month seems pretty good to me for handling all the backup/redundancy/connectivity etc. issues. The question is always just how reliable they'll be and what sort of limits and price ramping are involved if you have the fortunate problem of getting a lot of users. I can't see anything that states what Kumulos considers to be "fair use" for example or pricing options that allow for heavier use than their base deal.

I'd just be sure that they allow you to get your data back (and preferably any server-side code specific to your app too) so that you have the option to migrate to another service or to your own solution.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#3]
Please clarify "Management of the MySQL interface". Do you mean that they set up a database for you?

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#4]
MikeHart, yes, their service is basically to provide a custom API interface to MySQL for your apps. I think...

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#5]
Do you want to use this for your drum app?

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#6]
Maybe! :-)

(Still thinking about it.)