The 1mb SaveState limit

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/The 1mb SaveState limit

siread(Posted 2012) [#1]
Is there any chance that this limit can be by-passed or extended on certain targets in the future?

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#2]
I don't think Monkey polices the limit. If you want to try and save more than 1MB, you can. Even Flash allows it once you've accepted the local storage pop-up.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#3]
this seems to be on html5 only
if worse comes to worse you could Print the save-game and tell the player to copy and paste it into a text file :D

I dont know how he would upload it though

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#4]
Most modern browsers should have at least 5MB for local storage. As strings may be saved as UTF-16 and there's overhead, you can't assume that you can save a 5 million character string. The limit on Chrome seems to be 2621391, for example.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#5]
I did voice concerns about this before as different targets seemed to have different limits and none of it is documented. Cant remember details but i had problems such as no data being saved, system hangs and crashes when save limits were exceeded.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#6]
Have you thought about splitting your data into 1 meg chuncks and then saving out more than one state to make up the total size ? if thats possible.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#7]
Not without writing your own save system it's not. Monkey only provides a single state storage block.

Sledge(Posted 2012) [#8]
I did voice concerns about this before as different targets seemed to have different limits and none of it is documented.

http://dev-test.nemikor.com/web-storage/support-test/